website statistics

Will the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled?

Will the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled?

• Yes, the Olympic Games will be cancelled
    • No, the Olympic Games will be held

13 hours ago, Vektor said:

I meant as if LA2028 would happen this year during COVID instead of Tokyo2020. 

Nope.   California progressed finally but restrictions won't be lifted until June 15th.   There is no chance in hell governor newsom would've approved it.    Disneyland just opened yesterday......

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/may/03/japan-nurses-voice-anger-at-call-to-volunteer-for-tokyo-olympics-amid-covid-crisis

Are they really going to be able to manage it. I am starting to fear the nightmare of the games starting but getting abandoned mid way through after mass outbreaks and lots and lots of random medalists due to depleted fields.

23 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

I wonder if India will pull out due to the rise of the new variant there - it’s not known if any existing vaccine works on it. 

No, we are not thinking of pulling out of Olympics. Infact our federations are working on vaccinating and shifting players to other countries to ensure we don’t face a problem if Japan bans Indians from entering. Though, by the time of Olympics, we expect that the present wave, which has started to peak, would be over and there won’t be any travel restrictions on Indians. 

I have read multiple reports that both AstraZeneca vaccine and Bharat Biotech vaccine works on the variants presently wreaking havoc here. 

15 minutes ago, Dolby said:

No, we are not thinking of pulling out of Olympics. Infact our federations are working on vaccinating and shifting players to other countries to ensure we don’t face a problem if Japan bans Indians from entering. Though, by the time of Olympics, we expect that the present wave, which has started to peak, would be over and there won’t be any travel restrictions on Indians. 

I have read multiple reports that both AstraZeneca vaccine and Bharat Biotech vaccine works on the variants presently wreaking havoc here. 

That’s good. 

More likely Japan is is preparing that People travelling from the highest risk countries to simply hotel quarantine outside of Tokyo for 10-14 days before being allowed near the City. They must be plenty of rural hotels that could isolate all the staff throughout the quarantine and for 10-14 days after to prevent an increased risk to the Local population. 

8 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

That’s good. 

More likely Japan is is preparing that People travelling from the highest risk countries to simply hotel quarantine outside of Tokyo for 10-14 days before being allowed near the City. They must be plenty of rural hotels that could isolate all the staff throughout the quarantine and for 10-14 days after to prevent an increased risk to the Local population. 

Oh well I'm hoping the cases to decrease. We have a foolish idiot as PM who is happy to see people dying. Still people are closing their eyes and worshipping him like god .

Nonetheless some of the best medal contenders will be in Croatia starting next week while many may opt for other nations (some in Bulgaria, USA already)  

15 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

That’s good. 

Yes, I'm sure IOC will be ok with that...  

Is the Aquatics European Championships going to be the largest international sport event since COVID started? We will have around 2500 athletes from 51 countries in Budapest, and we will have around 4000 people in the bubble. I guess this might be the best test of the large bubble before the Games. 

btw, we are spending around 1.5 million euro on the bubble. People are obviously not happy about this, but Orbán never cared about what the citizens of Budapest wanted as its by far the most liberal part of the country. 

9 minutes ago, Vektor said:

Is the Aquatics European Championships going to be the largest international sport event since COVID started? We will have around 2500 athletes from 51 countries in Budapest, and we will have around 4000 people in the bubble. I guess this might be the best test of the large bubble before the Games. 

In terms of athletes, most likely so, yes. In terms of total people maybe for now, but the Indy 500 at the end of May will absolutely take that role :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!