website statistics

Rowing at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

Totallympics

3 hours ago, Nickyc707 said:

Given that the German Eight lost to GB at Lucerne in their only meeting this year why do you think that they are such strong favourites?

because when it really mattered, in the last couple of years, they've just been untouchable (even if some winning margin could suggest something different)...

world cup events to me don't count anything...I'm pretty sure all big teams were playing games and/or making experiments before taking their final decisions (and some did even miss the event)...

by the way, it's just my opinion...and I'm notorious to miss most of my predictions...:p :facepalm:

3 hours ago, Nickyc707 said:

Would you agree that rowing may surpass boxing as Ireland's strongest sport in Tokyo?

I think Rowing will be their second sport this edition - they are VERY strong in boxing, especially considering women's side, stronger perhaps even than usual

45 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Interesting, the British eight is mentioned as favourite (slightly ahead of Germany, I must add). More interestingly: Croatia isn't even mentioned in the pairs. They have named three countries for every event it seems (they're the first bookmaker with odds, so I'm sure they're being careful :p), and for the pairs those are - in order - Romania, Serbia and Italy.

British eight might well be a contender, but if I didn't miss anything, the Sinkovic bros :CRO in men's Pair are miles ahead of their main rivals (ITA and ROU, SRB not at all imho)...

if CRO decided to put them on another boat (or if they're injured), then, it's a completely different story...but, as I said, I'm normally very bad in predicting results and I haven't read anything about them in the last period...

3 minutes ago, phelps said:

because when it really mattered, in the last couple of years, they've just been untouchable (even if some winning margin could suggest something different)...

world cup events to me don't count anything...I'm pretty sure all big teams were playing games and/or making experiments before taking their final decisions (and some did even miss the event)...

by the way, it's just my opinion...and I'm notorious to miss most of my predictions...:p :facepalm:

There hasn't been a worlds since 2019. GB haven't faced Germany at a Worlds or Europeans since then, and GBR are the reigning European champions which GER skipped, just as GBR skipped in 2020. The only time they've duelled at all recently was at the World Cup, where GBR won.

There's an argument Germany is the stronger team, and certainly they may win - but in no sane universe are they a sure thing on paper, it simply isn't true.

52 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Rowing and a whole bunch of other sports:

https://www.pinnacle.com/en/olympics/leagues

You'll see a lot of these sports appear at various bookmakers in the next few weeks, like always in the weeks before Olympics they start coming up with odds for most if not all sports at some point. Some bookie more than others, but big ones like Pinnacle, Unibet or Bwin usually have a very large variety of sports offered.

I see they have reigning champion Joe Clarke as 2nd favourite to win the K1 canoe slalom even though he hasn't even been selected for the Games. I wonder how many other howlers there are like that.

10 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

There hasn't been a worlds since 2019. GB haven't faced Germany at a Worlds or Europeans since then, and GBR are the reigning European champions which GER skipped, just as GBR skipped in 2020. The only time they've duelled at all recently was at the World Cup, where GBR won.

There's an argument Germany is the stronger team, and certainly they may win - but in no sane universe are they a sure thing on paper, it simply isn't true.

Germany didn't skip these years European Championships. They finished fourth. But it needs to be mentioned that it was right after some weeks, when they couldn't train properly due to Covid restrictions and hadn't the fitness for the second half.

18 minutes ago, phelps said:

If the Germans were playing games or experimenting in their last competitive row before  the Games they're either exceptionally confident or exceptionally foolish. We shall see.

I don’t think many nations who went to the World Cup events were playing games. There has been precious few opportunities to row competitively in recent times and I’d say most of the instances of lack of form or unexpected results would be down to nations / athletes being at different stages of their preparation and training and with Covid no doubt having obvious impacts on preparation.

4 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

I think Rowing will be their second sport this edition - they are VERY strong in boxing, especially considering women's side, stronger perhaps even than usual

I can see us winning three medals in Rowing but cannot see any more than 3 in Boxing. All depends on the draw in boxing. 

9 hours ago, Oldira said:

I can see us winning three medals in Rowing but cannot see any more than 3 in Boxing. All depends on the draw in boxing. 

Maybe slightly off topic here but all 3 women could win medals and Kurt Walker has a strong chance too. Now of course we still a bit of luck with the draw but it’s still 4 medal chances