website statistics

Rowing at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

Totallympics

On 17/06/2021 at 03:52, mpjmcevoy said:

Is Anderson really first in line for the 100 free slot in the Mixed Medley - or even the women's medley - following the breakthrough of Anna Hopkin?

I'm not convinced to be honest. She certainly seems to have physical potential, she has that Missy Franklin, slightly freakish size thing going - a rarity, to be fair, in GBR swimming who don't tend to produce the giants the USA and Australia do - but I don't think we can honestly say she's there yet, or even all that close.

As I said, I can't help thinking the better course was to give Lucy, Tamsyn, Holly and  Aimee Wilmott a hit out and see what happens - if nothing else, it would be valuable experience for Lucy and Tamsyn.

20 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

It's nice to know who is overrated, but even more importantly to know who is underrated :d 

Milad Beigi in taekwondo had odds of 50+ for Rio, which according to our Iranian buddy on here was insane, and it turned out....it was insane indeed.

For those following rowing, which are the clearest actual favourites?

I think Sanita has a good chance of a medal, and an outside shout of gold, but the delay of a year's been terrible for her, I fear.

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

It's nice to know who is overrated, but even more importantly to know who is underrated :d 

Milad Beigi in taekwondo had odds of 50+ for Rio, which according to our Iranian buddy on here was insane, and it turned out....it was insane indeed.

For those following rowing, which are the clearest actual favourites?

right now, I think there are only 3 male (and no female) events where we have a "written" gold on paper...men's Pairs (:CRO), men's Eights (:GER), men's Lightweight Doubles (:IRL, even if not with the same margin of the previous 2)...

in all the other races, there are at least 2 contenders more or less on the same level...

53 minutes ago, phelps said:

right now, I think there are only 3 male (and no female) events where we have a "written" gold on paper...men's Pairs (:CRO), men's Eights (:GER), men's Lightweight Doubles (:IRL, even if not with the same margin of the previous 2)...

in all the other races, there are at least 2 contenders more or less on the same level...

Given that the German Eight lost to GB at Lucerne in their only meeting this year why do you think that they are such strong favourites?

Speaking of Ireland, they've official named the squad

Women's Single sculls (W1x) 

Sanita Puspure

Women's pair (W2-)

Monika Dukarska, Aileen Crowley

Men's double sculls (M2x)

Ronan Byrne, Philip Doyle

Men's lightweight double sculls (LM2x)

Paul O'Donovan, Fintan McCarthy

Women's four (W4-)

Emily Hegarty, Fiona Murtagh, Eimear Lambe, Aifric Keogh

Women's lightweight double sculls (LW2x)

Aoife Casey, Margaret Cremen

:IRL thinks they have 4 realistic medal shots. One should win gold...

3 minutes ago, dodge said:

Speaking of Ireland, they've official named the squad

Women's Single sculls (W1x) 

Sanita Puspure

Women's pair (W2-)

Monika Dukarska, Aileen Crowley

Men's double sculls (M2x)

Ronan Byrne, Philip Doyle

Men's lightweight double sculls (LM2x)

Paul O'Donovan, Fintan McCarthy

Women's four (W4-)

Emily Hegarty, Fiona Murtagh, Eimear Lambe, Aifric Keogh

Women's lightweight double sculls (LW2x)

Aoife Casey, Margaret Cremen

:IRL thinks they have 4 realistic medal shots. One should win gold...

Would you agree that rowing may surpass boxing as Ireland's strongest sport in Tokyo?

6 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Took a look at the first bookmaker with some odds, including for rowing, and apparently the Netherlands has two gold medal favourites (according to them) :yikes: 

No idea how realistic that is of course. Women's coxless four and men's quadruple sculls, with two more events where the Netherlands is listed as top-3 candidate.

For those interested, single sculls favourites are Oliver Zeidler, with Sverri Nielson close behind, and Sanita Puspure, with Hanna Prakhatsen close behind.

Link? I've never seen odds on rowing.

4 hours ago, phelps said:

Interesting, the British eight is mentioned as favourite (slightly ahead of Germany, I must add). More interestingly: Croatia isn't even mentioned in the pairs. They have named three countries for every event it seems (they're the first bookmaker with odds, so I'm sure they're being careful :p), and for the pairs those are - in order - Romania, Serbia and Italy.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 hours ago, Dunadan said:

Link? I've never seen odds on rowing.

Rowing and a whole bunch of other sports:

https://www.pinnacle.com/en/olympics/leagues

You'll see a lot of these sports appear at various bookmakers in the next few weeks, like always in the weeks before Olympics they start coming up with odds for most if not all sports at some point. Some bookie more than others, but big ones like Pinnacle, Unibet or Bwin usually have a very large variety of sports offered.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!