Rowing at the Summer Olympic Games 2020

Totallympics

• 3 months later...

:FRA TEAM FRANCE :FRA

Double Sculls Men's : Matthieu Androdias – Hugo Boucheron

Coxless Pair Men's  : Guillaume Turlan – Thibaud Turlan

Double Sculls Women's : Hélène Lefebvre – Élodie Ravera-Scaramozzino

Lighweight Double Sculls : Laura Tarantola – Claire Bové

Quadruple Sculls : Violaine Aernoudts - Margaux Bailleul - Marie Jacquet - Emma Lunatti

198945460_340084727473753_5988182072437232945_n.jpg

199341865_340084590807100_6053836194265689520_n.jpg

:CAN Team Canada :CAN 

Women’s Coxed Eight 

Susanne Grainger  

Kasia Gruchalla-Wesierski  

Kristen Kit (cox)

Madison Mailey 

Sydney Payne 

Andrea Proske  

Lisa Roman  

Christine Roper  

Avalon Wasteneys 

Women’s Four 

Stephanie Grauer  

Nicole Hare 

Jennifer Martins 

Kristina Walker 

Men’s Four 

Jakub Buczek 

Will Crothers 

Luke Gadsdon 

Gavin Stone 

Women’s Pair 

Caileigh Filmer  

Hillary Janssens 

Men’s Pair 

Kai Langerfeld 

Conlin McCabe  

Women’s Double Sculls 

Jessica Sevick

Gabrielle Smith  

Men’s Lightweight Double Sculls 

Patrick Keane  

Maxwell Lattimer 

Women’s Lightweight Double Sculls 

Jennifer Casson  

Jill Moffatt 

Women’s Single Sculls 

Carling Zeeman 

Men’s Single Sculls 

Trevor Jones 

Changes from qualified boats:

Nicole Hare, Caileigh Filmer and Hillary Janssens out in the eights. (the last two will just focus on pairs). Sydney Payne and Madison Mailey (move over from fours) Andrea Proske (moves over from double sculls) are in.

Mailey, Payne out of fours, replaced by Nicole Hare (moving from eights) and Kristina Walker.

Jessica Sevick in double sculls, Proske out. Sevick is the 2019 Pan Am Games Champion.

:GRE Team Greece :GRE

Men's Single Sculls

Stefanos Ntouskos

Women's Single Sculls

Anneta Kyridou

Women's Pair

Christina Bourmpou

Maria Kyridou

Our smallest rowing team since 2004 (after Athens 2004 we really grew the sport in Greece for a number of years). We had 10 rowers in London and 10 in Rio, with Ntouskos being the only one returning. However, there are some positive signs. Ntouskos is our oldest rower at 24. A.Kyridou is 22 and Bourmpou and M.Kyridou are both just 20 years old (they qualified via the 2019 World Championships as 18 year olds). We have such a young team and Tokyo might not be their time, but I think if we can keep them for Paris 2024 then that can be their time to shine.

Of course that is a big IF, as we had three teenage rowers in Rio and Ntouskos is the only one still competing :cry:

Anyways I think Ntouskos can possibly win a medal but I don't want to get too excited. I think he's probably expected to finish about 4th-5th while both women's boats are probably expected to finish 6th-9th or so.

Took a look at the first bookmaker with some odds, including for rowing, and apparently the Netherlands has two gold medal favourites (according to them) :yikes: 

No idea how realistic that is of course. Women's coxless four and men's quadruple sculls, with two more events where the Netherlands is listed as top-3 candidate.

For those interested, single sculls favourites are Oliver Zeidler, with Sverri Nielson close behind, and Sanita Puspure, with Hanna Prakhatsen close behind.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

They base it all on historical things like the world championships and European championships. The world cups and qualifiers don’t even register with them. I got 4/1 on the O’Donovan brothers to medal in 2016 when I could only see 4 possible medalists (who finished 1-4 btw)

The Russian should be favourite ahead of Sanita 

Yeah Sanita is no longer the favourite for gold in my opinion. A lot has happened since her world championship victories in 2018 and 2019 and the Russian looks like she is the top favourite based on recent results. I think Sanita will improve on her form by the time Tokyo comes round but if she can win a medal I will be very happy with that. Would be exciting to see her back to her best though. Let’s see what can happen :) 

1 hour ago, dodge said:

They base it all on historical things like the world championships and European championships.

Like with most sports for which bookmakers only have odds during the Olympics (which is a large majority of Olympic sports) :p 

Which is also why the Olympics can be a goldmine.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Like with most sports for which bookmakers only have odds during the Olympics (which is a large majority of Olympic sports) :p 

Which is also why the Olympics can be a goldmine.

The velodrome's been a bit of a goldmine in recent years because of GBR's habit of 'hiding' between Games. I don't think GB will have as good a velodromes games as in previous ediitons, but for all that they're gonna win 3 or 4 golds, i'm pretty sure - the women's pursuit squad is just too strong, as their probably underreported Euros times showed at the end of 2020.

To my mind, that's what you're looing for - events which are 'misleading' in terms of world champs, and events where there's a GBR 'favourite' who shouldn't be (because home jingoisitc support of course skews the odds offered). I'm quietly hopeful they'll offer stupid odds re Charlotte Dujardin, not understanding that with a new horse, she needs a miracle to win and any medal at all would be a super result - to the bookies she's just double Olympic champ back again....

23 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

The velodrome's been a bit of a goldmine in recent years because of GBR's habit of 'hiding' between Games. I don't think GB will have as good a velodromes games as in previous ediitons, but for all that they're gonna win 3 or 4 golds, i'm pretty sure - the women's pursuit squad is just too strong, as their probably underreported Euros times showed at the end of 2020.

To my mind, that's what you're looing for - events which are 'misleading' in terms of world champs, and events where there's a GBR 'favourite' who shouldn't be (because home jingoisitc support of course skews the odds offered). I'm quietly hopeful they'll offer stupid odds re Charlotte Dujardin, not understanding that with a new horse, she needs a miracle to win and any medal at all would be a super result - to the bookies she's just double Olympic champ back again....

It's nice to know who is overrated, but even more importantly to know who is underrated :d 

Milad Beigi in taekwondo had odds of 50+ for Rio, which according to our Iranian buddy on here was insane, and it turned out....it was insane indeed.

For those following rowing, which are the clearest actual favourites?