website statistics

British Swimming Championships 2024 Road to Paris 2024

5 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

I'd agree it makes sense to take Peters - they need the relay cover. But in that scenario, would Peters be allowed to swim the individual ahead of the British Champion? For me, Litchfield has to be encouraged to go and get the OQT before the end of the qualifying window 

I think given that, bar today, Peters has proven to be the better fly swimmer by quite a bit they would probably get away with a could class today as an "off race" for Peters. Given what's gone on throughout the week, I think a few tweaks might need to be made to the selection policy - such as letting relay qualifies swimmers get OQT times at Mare Nostrum and Euros as I don't think British Swimming really want to be accepting OCT invites. 

4 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

I think given that, bar today, Peters has proven to be the better fly swimmer by quite a bit they would probably get away with a could class today as an "off race" for Peters. Given what's gone on throughout the week, I think a few tweaks might need to be made to the selection policy - such as letting relay qualifies swimmers get OQT times at Mare Nostrum and Euros as I don't think British Swimming really want to be accepting OCT invites. 

I don’t think they will change things. 

2 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

Yeah - we're going to take 2 fly swimmers and it would be a shame if they aren't both able to do the individual.

Situation could become even more complicated if James Guy gets top 4 in the 200 free and is on the squad as a relay swimmer in which case we could end up with 3 fly swimmers and only 1 in the individual event which would be just nuts.

Peters will be on the train. There is enough wiggle room to get him in, but it is rather interesting that Joe has made it in. More cover for 200m relay and now Jimmy is really at risk. He needs to deliver in the 200m.

2 minutes ago, RussB said:

Peters will be on the train. There is enough wiggle room to get him in, but it is rather interesting that Joe has made it in. More cover for 200m relay and now Jimmy is really at risk. He needs to deliver in the 200m.

Some think guy has been focusing on the 200m free more than any others. 

Fair play to Joe Litchfield. It's not his fault that everyone else underperformed. He's improved his PB by almost a second today. He showed up when others didn't. 

I wouldn't be doing anything to risk him underperforming in Paris by making him chase a time. If that means Peters doesn't get to go, so be it.

Honestly, the only way I would be taking Peters now is if Guy qualifies in the 200m free as one of the 4 relay slots.

If Jimmy doesn't qualify that way, I'd still be taking him as cover for the various relays - he's the only swimmer who can cover all 3 relays who isn't already on the team.