website statistics

British Swimming Championships 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Burras to me looks like being the biggest name to miss out unless he delivers something mightily impressive in the 50.

i had assumed he would at least be part of the relay squad.

Just now, RussB said:

Burras to me looks like being the biggest name to miss out unless he delivers something mightily impressive in the 50.

i had assumed he would at least be part of the relay squad.

Burras has historically not always been great on relays either, so you feel he really needed to deliver here to be sure of his place.

He's seeded #2 for the 50 but even his time-trial tonight was not super impressive. Right now there's probably 4/5 people who fancy their chances of being ahead of him, all of whom could be in that relay as well.

And obviously I'm discounting Proud, who you imagine will be miles ahead of everyone, but won't be on the relay unless there's a weird sickness bug the week of the Games!

22 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Just to be clear on the point I was making with this was the suggestion that Foster (and others have made) was that by finishing in the top 6 in this event, you would likely be selected as relay cover but I don't think that will be the case - for example I can't see Cumberlidge being selected. At the moment, I think it is looking very unlikely that we will be taking anyone purely as relay cover - they will rely instead on the people who have qualified for the individual events.

They might if no one gets the time in 200m Breast for men unless they want Peaty uncovered. 

3 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

Maybee he gets 4th there if someone has a bad day. 

It's possible. But he's only =7th seed for that. So he probably requires a couple of those in front of him to have a pretty awful day and then also perform well himself, whilst hoping that none of those around him have a good swim (which includes the likes of Max Litchfield and Kieran Bird, so not exactly implausible that they swim well either).

So, at the half-way stage of the champs, I reckon we're at 18 tickets allocated with 2 more likely (Cox/Wilby) and 2 sitting on the cusp (Hanlon/Bird).

Tomorrow, I think we will allocate another 3 quotas - 2 in the 100m Butterfly (Peters & Guy) and 1 in the 200m Backstroke (Osrin).

Shanahan (200 back), Dean (200 IM) and Scott (200 IM) should also get the times for their respective events but already have spots on the team. 

Question for the sane and reasonable members of the group - you know who you are.

If Eva Okaro gets selected for the squad - either in the 100m free individual or, as a member of the 4x100 free relay squad, would the selectors nominate her to swim the 50 free at the Europeans to see if she can get the OQT of 24.70?

She was only 0.26 seconds short this evening, dropping her PB from 25.18 set earlier in the year. The champs are in Belgrade so not exactly a taxing journey and I don't think racing that one event would impede her Olympic prep in any way. The selection policy does say that anyone selected for Paris will not be nominated for Belgrade, but I can't see what they would have to lose by giving her the chance to go for a qualifying time for the 50.