website statistics

LGBTQ+ in Sports

I thought about starting a new topic to discuss the matter, as in LGBTQ+ athletes, or politics towards it.

Hopefully it will be a topic with a lot of positive news being shared etc, but I thought about it due to a crime commited on a sports arena.

https://www.instagram.com/andersonmelo92/?img_index=7

Anderson Melo, a Beach Volleyball player who recieved a lot of homophobic chants and hate from the crowds (and possibly from the rival pair, could not really understand 100% from the video). The referee was totally inept and let this happened.

In Brazil, homophobia is a crime, so Anderson started a Police Report on that. 

36 minutes ago, Pasolini said:

Anderson Melo, a Beach Volleyball player who recieved a lot of homophobic chants and hate from the crowds (and possibly from the rival pair, could not really understand 100% from the video). The referee was totally inept and let this happened.

What a sad way to start this thread. I don't want to state the obvious, but it's truly unfortunate that things like this still happen. That crowd was despicable and the other team should take some accountability.

25 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

What a sad way to start this thread. I don't want to state the obvious, but it's truly unfortunate that things like this still happen. That crowd was despicable and the other team should take some accountability.

In a semi-perfect world (because in a perfect world this whole situation wouldn't have happened of course) both teams would very quickly agree to just stop the match until those assholes are removed, but yeah...I doubt that'll happen :(

Good that he speaks up about it, a quick read in the comments seems to at least be overwhelmingly supportive.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, Pasolini said:

I thought about starting a new topic to discuss the matter, as in LGBTQ+ athletes, or politics towards it.

Hopefully it will be a topic with a lot of positive news being shared etc, but I thought about it due to a crime commited on a sports arena.

Really important issue, considering how polarizing the Brazilian community is to LGBTQ+ people. How the fuck THIS can happen in the country, where lives Pablo Vittar and Urias? I don't know, hope that these idiots will be punished due to law restrictions. 

6 hours ago, heywoodu said:

In a semi-perfect world (because in a perfect world this whole situation wouldn't have happened of course) both teams would very quickly agree to just stop the match until those assholes are removed, but yeah...I doubt that'll happen :(

Good that he speaks up about it, a quick read in the comments seems to at least be overwhelmingly supportive.

It's true. And the support for him is huge now, some from major volleyball Olympic champions in Brazil and also State Ministers, not to mention a huge press conference. One of the finalists from the tournament, also gay, spoke about it after his semfinal win today.

6 hours ago, Illya said:

Really important issue, considering how polarizing the Brazilian community is to LGBTQ+ people. How the fuck THIS can happen in the country, where lives Pablo Vittar and Urias? I don't know, hope that these idiots will be punished due to law restrictions. 

that's absolutely true!

But as a queer Brazilian man I hadn't heard about Urias until now, shameful from me :( i will start to listen tonight!

6 hours ago, Pasolini said:

that's absolutely true!

But as a queer Brazilian man I hadn't heard about Urias until now, shameful from me :( i will start to listen tonight!

I kinda adore the Latin America's countries culture, so yeah, I love bright representation of Brazilian scene  

Posted (edited)

We used to have LGBT representation recently. In Tokyo we had 3 girls (Zillman rowing - no quota now, Jarmolinska - shooting - end her career, Ogar-Hill was in polish

wide team in sailing, but not start in mixed 470).  So now in Paris we will not have an open LGBT person. Ofcourse it's  a high possibiloty to have LGBT in person, but they are not officialy open about this (we used to have this kind of people, it's  not hard to know if you are checking social media). I understand this, but this kind of activity could be helpful for polish LGBT young people. But they are prefer choosing making ig content closer to modelling. It's their decision.

Edited by Adriano

18 hours ago, Illya said:

how polarizing the Brazilian community is to LGBTQ+ people. 

What do you mean?

or did you write the adjectives in the wrong order?

1 hour ago, LDOG said:

What do you mean?

or did you write the adjectives in the wrong order?

I mean that in Brazil there is people like these dumbies but also the one of the most interesting LGBTQ+ musical scene