website statistics

Doping Cases and Bans in 2024

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

@phelps

One of the medal favorite Hungarian fencers have missed doping tests three times in the past 12 months and will likely get a two year ban just before the Games. We don't know who this is, the media is making it seem like it's a big name, probably not the biggest (Szilágyi) because that would shock me. So it might be Szatmári, Siklósi, Koch, Pusztai, or Battai...

Edit: I have also seen a rumour that it's Anna Kun in women's epee...

Edited by Vektor

2 hours ago, Vektor said:

@phelps

One of the medal favorite Hungarian fencers have missed doping tests three times in the past 12 months and will likely get a two year ban just before the Games. We don't know who this is, the media is making it seem like it's a big name, probably not the biggest (Szilágyi) because that would shock me. So it might be Szatmári, Siklósi, Koch, Pusztai, or Battai...

Edit: I have also seen a rumour that it's Anna Kun in women's epee...

that's really unexpected! :yikes:

I thought fencing (and especially epee, which is the least "athletic" discipline) was one of those sports where people don't need to cheat like that :facepalm:

I'm very surprised and sad because of this news :cry:

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, phelps said:

that's really unexpected! :yikes:

I thought fencing (and especially epee, which is the least "athletic" discipline) was one of those sports where people don't need to cheat like that :facepalm:

I'm very surprised and sad because of this news :cry:

And it's officially :HUN Anna Kun. They will have to hurry up with the ban, otherwise we won't get a replacement athlete for the individual quota spot, who would actually be another Hungarian athlete, Muhari. 

The Hungarian Antidoping Agency says that the ban is almost guaranteed. They doubt that Kun was hiding, she just made some very stupid administrative errors. Hopefully she won't be banned for two years and she will only miss Paris. 

Edited by Vektor

23 minutes ago, Vektor said:

she just made some very stupid administrative errors. Hopefully she won't be banned for two years and she will only miss Paris.

This remains unbelievable to me. I mean, one strike can happen, people make honest mistakes. But if that happened, you're already supposed to really be on edge.....then it happens again....

If you know that a third time will result in a ban, which it should, how are you not spending every day making absolutely sure, ten times a day, that all your whereabouts information and everything else is entirely correct? Ask your coach, ask your federation, ask your NADO, ask everyone to make sure you do it correctly...

Like Rastorgujevs in biathlon: he got a strike because he wrote down his address as "Stelvio, Bormio", which was obviously not enough to locate him (as WADA/IBU/whoever told him). He then got another strike unrelated to that, and later a third strike......because he wrote "Stelvio, Bormio" as his address again. Come on.

There might have been something else going on in her case, like not having anyone at all available to ask something to (teammates, coaches, federations and so on, maybe the relationships between them are bad, who knows), but ban or not, at least I hope she will learn to deal with the system...

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

This remains unbelievable to me. I mean, one strike can happen, people make honest mistakes. But if that happened, you're already supposed to really be on edge.....then it happens again....

If you know that a third time will result in a ban, which it should, how are you not spending every day making absolutely sure, ten times a day, that all your whereabouts information and everything else is entirely correct? Ask your coach, ask your federation, ask your NADO, ask everyone to make sure you do it correctly...

Like Rastorgujevs in biathlon: he got a strike because he wrote down his address as "Stelvio, Bormio", which was obviously not enough to locate him (as WADA/IBU/whoever told him). He then got another strike unrelated to that, and later a third strike......because he wrote "Stelvio, Bormio" as his address again. Come on.

There might have been something else going on in her case, like not having anyone at all available to ask something to (teammates, coaches, federations and so on, maybe the relationships between them are bad, who knows), but ban or not, at least I hope she will learn to deal with the system...

Apparently the first mistake happened in March 2023.  The second error was made in May but she was only alerted about this in October and by that time she already made her third mistake in August. So she thought that her third mistake was actually her second, she didn't know that she was on thin ice. 

5 hours ago, Jemma said:

The news of Sara Benfares' provisional suspension due to a positive drug test is concerning. While there's mention of medical treatment, it's crucial to await further details before drawing conclusions. Transparency and thorough investigation are paramount in cases like these.

Her sister testing positive for EPO as well doesn't exactly help her case though.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!