website statistics

Fencing FIE World Cup 2023 - 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

On 11/12/2023 at 5:47 PM, phelps said:

the women's Team Sabre has probably the most complicated situation of them all, since it's the only weapon where the repechage is required

the Pan-American spot, in fact, right now wouldn't be awarded, as no team from that Continent is in the Top 16 of the WR (and Today's good result by :HKG put further distance between the only real candidate :MEX and their dream of making it to the Games)

because of that, :ITA would be the (undeserved) lucky Nation...they're basically out of contention for either a direct qualification and for the European spot, but Panamerican teams' faults made them this great gift

however, more European teams (:AZE:ESP and raising :BUL above all) could still catch the declining Italians

the current top 5 Nations in the OQR can already consider themselves safe in Paris

getting back to this to ask: what the heck is :CAN doing throwing away their chances at getting a pan-am quota?

On 11/11/2023 at 5:32 PM, avlar said:

FIE discussed the reform this autumn. But decided:

image.png

It is notable that Katsiadakis was the head of the working group established to reform qualification process. The members had to submit new proposals until the 15th of September. But noone (including Katsiadakis) sent. It looks like all of them were to busy to find a way to allow Pozdnyakovs daughter to compete as AIN.

image.png

I miss the days in which Americas had 2 quotas. I guess it would be more fair to each continent have 1 individual quota and the 2 best continents have a 2nd quota?

1 hour ago, Mateus Nagime said:

I don't think Canada is safe.

:BRA has 122 and will necessarily drop 8 points, going to 114. It could also replace an 8pt.

:CANhas 149 will drop 20pt, going to 129pt and could only replace 16pt.
:CHI has 92pt but will not drop or replace anything.

So let's say for the sake of argument that Brazil and Canada will do 12th and 13th on the two next world Cups (as they did in Japan), but Chile would be 16th in both.

Brazil would gain 22+22 (44), dropping 8pt from Cairo and replacing 8 from Acapulco. It would gain 28pt and go to 150pt.

On another scenario, let's say Brazil finishes in 16th in the following World Cups. It would gain 18+18-8-8, going to 142pt.

Canada would gain 21+21 (42), dropping 20pt from Cairo and replacing 16 from Milan. It would gain 6pt and go to 155pt.

Chile would gain 18+18, going to 128pt.

So Chile is almost out of the race and they would probaly need 4 top16 finishes (including in Istanbul last month) to be in the competition. But it could be a strong team for Los Angeles.

It's hard to imagine Brazil going better than 12th, but if it finished around 12-14 on the next two World Cups, it could gain the American quota IF Canada is knocked out on first round in one of the two events (as they almost did in Japan)

world and continental champs scores are mandatory, they can't be discarded

56 minutes ago, Mateus Nagime said:

Does anyone know what would happen in a tie?

they look at the discarded result and at the best single placing among the qualifying tournaments, but right now I don't remember in which order :mumble:

2 hours ago, phelps said:

world and continental champs scores are mandatory, they can't be discarded

they look at the discarded result and at the best single placing among the qualifying tournaments, but right now I don't remember in which order :mumble:

Thank you so much. I edited the post. 

I've looked at the scenario for the pan-am quota at lenght here (in portuguese) and the scenario for other quotas in Americas.

For now: 
:USA15

:CAN10

:VEN3

:BRA2

:ARG:CHI:COL1

• 1 month later...

Women's Individual Foil (:FRA Paris)

Gold: :CHN Chen Qingyuan

Silver: :ITA Elena Tangherlini

Bronze: :ITA Martina Favaretto & :CAN Jessica Guo Zi Jia

Semifinals