website statistics

Speed Skating ISU World Cup 2023 - 2024

Totallympics

2 hours ago, phelps said:

instant classic!

he literally destroyed the old record and the entire field :bowdown:

great 3rd place for :ITA David Bosa (with a new huge PB) in this historical race  :cheer:

And he signed the new Italian record ;)

Speed Skating WC Salt Lake City | Salt Lake City, United States :USA

Day 1

Women’s 1000m

Gold- :JPN Miho Takagi (1:12.77)

Silver- :USA Kimi Goetz (1:12.85)

Bronze- :CHN Mei Han (1:13.64)

Men’s 1000m

Gold- :USA Jordan Stolz (1:05.37/WR) :yikes:

Silver- :CHN Zhongyan Ning (1:06.97)

Bronze- :ITA David Bosa (1:07.06)

Women’s 3000m

Gold- :NED Joy Beune (3:56.86)

Silver- :NED Irene Schouten (3:58.20)

Bronze- :CAN Valerie Maltais :cheer: (3:59.71)

Men’s Mass Start

Gold- :KOR Jae-Won Chung (60 SP/7:42.35)

Silver- :BEL Bart Swings (40 SP/7:42.40)

Bronze- :NED Bart Hoolwerf (20 SP/7:42.77)

Full Results

no world record for Stolz in the men's 1500m, but still 1.40.87

not bad...

meanwhile, encouraging improvement by :ITA Alessio Trentini and Daniele Di Stefano

they're still fvar away from the top places, but it's nice to see that they're still on the raising curve

yesterday, instead, Lollipop (Francesca Lollobrigida) was forced to skate in the B-group (she finished 2nd behind :CAN Isabelle Wideman, but she was faster than all the girls in group A)

finally, I'm a bit disappointed by Pergher in the women's 500m as I expected her below the 38-sec mark, but she was a bit over that :nopompom:

Lots of talk about Gao Tingyu in the Netherlands, apparently he....kind of retired, out of nowhere? They're saying he competed in the 'China Games' recently, and then kind of retired, possibly.

This has led me to a question for @Vic Liu, about the Chinese Games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Winter_Games_of_China

According to that link, the 2020 edition was postponed to 2024 due to COVID and are scheduled to be held next month. Fine, clear enough, but...what are these 'China Games' our commentators keep talking about in regards to Gao Tingyu (which I assume they got from :NED Jan Bos, the coach of the Chinese team and for sure in touch with the Dutch commentators every now and then)?

Is this something else than the National Winter Games of China, or are the February dates on Wikipedia wrong and has it already been held this month?

Edit: I believe I am reading the whole page wrong :d The February dates are 2020, and it says it was postponed to 2024 without a date mentioned.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Lots of talk about Gao Tingyu in the Netherlands, apparently he....kind of retired, out of nowhere? They're saying he competed in the 'China Games' recently, and then kind of retired, possibly.

This has led me to a question for @Vic Liu, about the Chinese Games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Winter_Games_of_China

According to that link, the 2020 edition was postponed to 2024 due to COVID and are scheduled to be held next month. Fine, clear enough, but...what are these 'China Games' our commentators keep talking about in regards to Gao Tingyu (which I assume they got from :NED Jan Bos, the coach of the Chinese team and for sure in touch with the Dutch commentators every now and then)?

Is this something else than the National Winter Games of China, or are the February dates on Wikipedia wrong and has it already been held this month?

Edit: I believe I am reading the whole page wrong :d The February dates are 2020, and it says it was postponed to 2024 without a date mentioned.

China Games and the national winter games are the same thing. It was supposed to be held in 2020 and postponed to February 2024. Speed Skating was finished early on January 2024 to make use the blank period in the middle of the season I guess. Gao finished this season after winning the Games but I don’t think he’s kinda retired. At least that’s not what he write on social media. He said see you guys next season.

On 1/28/2024 at 2:23 AM, Vic Liu said:

China Games and the national winter games are the same thing. It was supposed to be held in 2020 and postponed to February 2024. Speed Skating was finished early on January 2024 to make use the blank period in the middle of the season I guess. Gao finished this season after winning the Games but I don’t think he’s kinda retired. At least that’s not what he write on social media. He said see you guys next season.

Thanks, I guess some stuff was lost in translation :p 

It's a real shame he finished his season though, with all of the highlights and chances for fast times still to come.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Yesterday once again we saw the ridiculousness of the mixed relay, at least in it's current format. A real 'circus event' that just can not be taken seriously, definitely not if it's all based on time and you've simply got to be lucky to be in a good heat.

They should either do it based on time, in which case it should be the regular pairs format (but then it just really adds nothing at all), or keep it in the current heats format, in which case it should be done based on positions (and so have QF's to a final). That seems unlikely, because it'll add two more races and top athletes will skip the event even more, like they already do now (yesterday the podium looked super 'weird' because most top skaters didn't bother competing).

In other words, just accept that the mixed relay is not a thing for speed skating and let it go.

Fantastic 6:07 for :FRA Loubinaud in the B division :bowdown: 

Great fight in the A division as well, with Roest eventually taking the win against Ghiotto, and Bloemen in 3rd after an insanely fast start.