website statistics

Diving at the Aquatics WA World Championships 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

13 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Yeah, even at previous Olympics their qualification document was written in a way that it was technically possible for more than the maximum amount of athletes to qualify. They got burned in 2020 because of COVID. Already qualified athletes/nations did not compete at the World Cup so more athletes than expected qualified which is why only the finalists are now guaranteed to compete.

On average around 10/16 athletes compete in both individual and synchro events. France not being a diving nation might decrease the average though.

Yes this give 9-10 sure places for each event.

2 minutes ago, Gianlu33 said:
:GBR Andrea SPENDOLINI

I’m so happy for her, she’s been improving and I really think she’s a step ahead of  others divers, except the Chinese of course, and this time she proved it.

Also Jodoin di Mariah did a great competition and looks like she could grow even more.

11 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

I’m so happy for her, she’s been improving and I really think she’s a step ahead of  others divers, except the Chinese of course, and this time she proved it.

Also Jodoin di Mariah did a great competition and looks like she could grow even more.

But who will be second British diver for OG?

10 minutes ago, Adriano said:

But who will be second British diver for OG?

Lois Toulson will get the second quota. Although Eden Cheng won the quota at the European Games, without being disrespectful, she is generally about 20-30 points behind Toulson. 

From GB perspective, think the women's 10m platform pairing will definitely double up but there is a chance in the other 3 disciplines that they select 3 athletes:

Women's 3m: Harper and Mew-Jensen will be the synchro pairing and will be favourites for the individual spots but it is possible that Grace Reid could sneak into the squad as an individual.

Men's 3m: Laugher and Harding will go in the synchro and assuming that Laugher is fully recovered from knee injury he'll also be in the individual. There could be a bit of a fight for the second individual spot with Harding, Houldan and Goodfellow all in the mix. 

Men's 10m platform: Assuming they qualify here, the synchro pairing will be Daley and Williams. If Daley wants to double up, then he would be favourite for a spot in the individual but if not then Kyle Kothari (competing in the individual in Doha) could be on the squad, but there are quite a few platform divers who are all capable of scoring around mid-400s. 

The GB selection policy gives an individual quota to the British Champion but the second spot is at the discretion of the selection panel taking into account performances at the British Champs and the 3 stages of the Diving World Cup. 

1 hour ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Lois Toulson will get the second quota. Although Eden Cheng won the quota at the European Games, without being disrespectful, she is generally about 20-30 points behind Toulson. 

From GB perspective, think the women's 10m platform pairing will definitely double up but there is a chance in the other 3 disciplines that they select 3 athletes:

Women's 3m: Harper and Mew-Jensen will be the synchro pairing and will be favourites for the individual spots but it is possible that Grace Reid could sneak into the squad as an individual.

Men's 3m: Laugher and Harding will go in the synchro and assuming that Laugher is fully recovered from knee injury he'll also be in the individual. There could be a bit of a fight for the second individual spot with Harding, Houldan and Goodfellow all in the mix. 

Men's 10m platform: Assuming they qualify here, the synchro pairing will be Daley and Williams. If Daley wants to double up, then he would be favourite for a spot in the individual but if not then Kyle Kothari (competing in the individual in Doha) could be on the squad, but there are quite a few platform divers who are all capable of scoring around mid-400s. 

The GB selection policy gives an individual quota to the British Champion but the second spot is at the discretion of the selection panel taking into account performances at the British Champs and the 3 stages of the Diving World Cup. 

Sounds about right, though I think Goodfellow is a stronger bet for the 3m. I see it more a battle between Houldan and Laugher's Knee. Cheng is unlucky, but she's not, from my understanding, even on funding now, so with Toulson's strong finish today, that looks signed and sealed. I think Grace Reid has a decent shout - she's hugely talented, but she's inconsistent. If she has a good day, she could do a worldie. Indiviudal 10m for men is an absolute bunfight.

It is utterly bizarre to me that GBR are now essentially the number two global nation in diving behind the peerless chinese. But then, GBR just won a silver in artistic swimming so, you know, everything's gone bonkers at this point.

4 hours ago, Adriano said:

Daley wants to start in individual event?

I don't think that he has been specific about his plans - he wasn't in the individual event at British selection meet in December but that may just have been because he wasn't back up to full speed on his training.