website statistics

Diving at the Aquatics WA World Championships 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

41 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

:GBR Jack Laugher with a 0 in round 4. Thankfully Ross Haslam looks like he has done enough to get through to the semi-final and a likely Olympic quota.

Jack is not having a wonderful meet. But Haslem has dived really well for being the GBR number three really

6 minutes ago, Benolympique said:

the French swimming federation announced that the 2 French people are qualified for the Olympic games which means that all the semi-finalists are qualified

Ireland is not as confident. Their post stated Jake Passmore (17th in qualifying) had a chance of an Olympic spot in tomorrows semi final 

8 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Jack is not having a wonderful meet. But Haslem has dived really well for being the GBR number three really

By his standards I'd agree - Laugher would probably expect to be in the medals in the synchro and in the final in the individual as a minimum - but it's pretty amazing to think that with only 5 counting dives, he was only 8 or 9 points away from a place in the semi-finals. Excluding the Chinese (who could probably make a semi with only 4 counting dives), there's not many divers in the world who could get that close. 

Looks like some national federations have interpreted the qualification document as requiring an absolute top 12 finish to secure the quota whilst others are interpreting the requirement as being in the top 12 of athletes not already qualified.

In the end it will all be the same - it just means that some countries are celebrating earlier than others. Hopefully World Aquatics will take it into account when they draft the qualification document for LA.

55 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

In what has been an otherwise fairly decent World Champs so far from an organisation point of view, World Aquatics really need to do something about managing the diving start lists - having 70 athletes competing is beyond ridiculous. 

For me, the amount of athletes isn’t the problem, but more so the fact that qualification lasts multiple hours. Hard for the divers to keep focused on their competition when they have to wait 40 minutes in between dives. What I’d probably do is sort the athletes into two groups, and do one group after another. But that’s just me :dunno: