website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat

heywoodu

17 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

So in their view Elon Musk’s RELAXATION of censorship laws on Twitter was a blow to press freedom because…..well, who knows.  

And they don’t realise that speech laws in :SCO & :ENG are completely different, that’s some ace reportering right there.

:USA has been in the 40s for the last few years. Musk’s takeover of Twitter has been a blow to press freedom on the platform though. He literally suspended multiple US reporters from the platform after they reported on all the drama surrounding that account that tracked his flights. I’d imagine my government’s stance on TikTok might rub some observers the wrong way as well.

:GBR is likely counted as one country since that’s how presents itself internationally. I think most rankings like this tend to count to the UK as a monolith, rather than as separate entities. 

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

30 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

:USA has been in the 40s for the last few years. Musk’s takeover of Twitter has been a blow to press freedom on the platform though. He literally suspended multiple US reporters from the platform after they reported on all the drama surrounding that account that tracked his flights. I’d imagine my government’s stance on TikTok might rub some observers the wrong way as well.

:GBR is likely counted as one country since that’s how presents itself internationally. I think most rankings like this tend to count to the UK as a monolith, rather than as separate entities. 

Ah, so “press freedom” now means “the extent to which journalists are treated like royalty”

31 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I’d imagine my government’s stance on TikTok might rub some observers the wrong way as well.

Wait, being against a very well-known Chinese government spy tool is being against free press? Interesting :p 

I believe since a short while, TikTok is (finally) being banned from the phones of government employees here, and I'm fairly sure military personell was already strictly forbidden from using it on military premises and devices (as they should).

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

15 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Ah, so “press freedom” now means “the extent to which journalists are treated like royalty”

Yeah, I don’t think sharing/authoring a news article about a current event is asking to be “treated like royalty.” I’m pretty sure it’s a basic job function and an essential part of press freedom.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

2023 World Press Freedom Index has been released. 

I fully agree that Press Freedom in India (161) is similar to Belarus (157), Russia (164), Turkey (165), Yemen (168) and Saudi Arabia (170). And situation is much better in Belarus (157), Pakistan (150), Libya (149) and Sudan (148). And I wish our government can take pointers on how to improve the ranking score from Afghanistan who improved their score from 38.27 to 39.75. 

17 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Wait, being against a very well-known Chinese government spy tool is being against free press? Interesting :p 

I believe since a short while, TikTok is (finally) being banned from the phones of government employees here, and I'm fairly sure military personell was already strictly forbidden from using it on military premises and devices (as they should).

I definitely understand the security risks around TikTok, especially when it comes to national defense and sensitive devices. My thought when I posted my comment was that some observers might consider banning an app outright to be a restriction of speech. The argument could be made that the government is making a decision on who is allowed to facilitate speech, and in what context. However, the national defense angle certainly complicates that argument.

I’ve never used the platform personally, so I don’t really have an established on opinion on the mater. I just find the whole situation interesting from a communications law standpoint.

2 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

So in their view Elon Musk’s RELAXATION of censorship laws on Twitter was a blow to press freedom because…..well, who knows.  

And they don’t realise that speech laws in :SCO & :ENG are completely different, that’s some ace reportering right there.

Funnily,a whole lot of people feel much more free To be able to share thoughts now That Musk has taken over,you cannot convince me that's a problem

5 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

2023 World Press Freedom Index has been released. 

Funny,you look at the comments,and no one seems to agree,including people from countries the top of the list,Gee i wonder if a whole lot of people realized in the last few years that for most countries ''Freedom of the press'' [this is certainly the case in good old America]Is basically freedom for the journos to smear anyone they don't like as far right with no consequences.Yeah,i think ''freedom of the press'' might have gone down because,less people are willing to put up with that,not really anything i would call concerning,if anything that's a major win for freedom of speech.  

Edited by Biathlonfan

20 minutes ago, Biathlonfan said:

Funny,you look at the comments,and no one seems to agree,including people from the top of the list,Gee i wonder if a whole lot of people realized in the last few years that for most countries ''Freedom of the press'' [this is certainly the case in good old America]Is basically freedom for the journos to smear anyone they don't like as far right with no consequences.Yeah,i think ''freedom of the press'' might have gone down because,less people are willing to put up with that,not really anything i would call concerning,if anything that's a major win for freedom of speech.  

Yeah the attitude seems to be.  "Governments criticizing journalists is an attack on free speech." Yes it is.  "Ordinary citizens criticizing journalists is an attack on free speech"  Errm....no. Ordinary citizens saying what they like about journalists is an EXAMPLE of free speech.

3 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Hmmm looks like another Dutch colonization isn't bad, coz I can't stand seeing a lot of government employees use TikTok like their life depend on it