website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat

heywoodu

On 3/14/2023 at 12:50 PM, hckošice said:

:SVK in Slovakia, school final leaving exams have started this week and the authorities revealed interesting informations. :d In Slovakia you have to pass the final exam in 2 forms, first a written one and then an oral one.From the 37 000 students going to pass their final leaving school exam 1600 of them decided to pass it in Hungarian language (Yes, it is allowed in Slovakia, if you want you can graduate in Hungarian, but you have to do it only in a Hungarian speaking school)

apart of that: Students are also required to choose one foreign language for their final exam.

and here are the results for this year

1) Most often, students chose the English language, almost 35,800 students will graduate from it at all three difficulty levels.

2) The second most picked foreing language was the German language (1,068 students)

3) and 443 students selected the Russian language lol...

4) 14 high school graduates picked French :d,

5) four students chose Spanish :d

6) and one (1) student chose the Italian language.(Imagine preparing the tests and teacher´s committee for One student) :lol:

my respect to that guy who chose Italian language :hatoff::bowdown:

speaking of final examination at the end of a school cycle, here in Italy we have basically 3 degrees of school: elementary school, 5 years; then, middle school, 3 years and finally the high school, 5 years (with a notable exception, the master institute -a professional pathway for elementary school teachers- being only 4 years).

elementary school and middle school are just for everybody, there's no specialization...and we have a final examination at the end of both cycles.

elementary exam is not that complicated, basically you only have to make a small thesis on a discipline of your choice (among those included into the studying program, of course).

or, at least, it was like that when I was a student, many, many years ago.

then there's an oral exam with multi-disciplinary questions on the whole program of the 5th and final year.

at the end of the middle school there was a first quite complicated exam, with 3 written tasks (free composition, foreign language, maths) and then a multi-disciplinary oral exam, like at the end of the elementary school, but way more difficult.

the high school, instead, is divided in many kinds of institute:

-the "generalist" scientific highschool, where you have to study almost every discipline (from Italian to a foreign language, from maths to physics, from history to philosophy, from Latin to arts, from chemistry to biology) and finally you get a non binding diploma, which generally is prodromic to the University;

-the "semi-generalist" classic highschool (where you normally study almost every discipline, but with lot more focus on the humanistic studies), once again giving you a diploma which generally opens the door to the humanistic studies at the University:

-the socalled "ragioneria", which is basically a professional highschool focusing on commercial studies (with more pathways within the same general school category);

-the linguistic highschool (easy to understand what's all about);

-the already named master institute;

-various kinds of professional schools (from mechanics to all the other manufacturing activities);

-the surveyors' school (no need for any explaination, I guess)

all this kind of highschools end with the socalled "maturità", the big final examination that takes sleep away from students for the entire last year.

when I had to take my scientific highschool diploma (30 years ago :yikes: :old:), the final examination consisted of 2 written tests (Italian language, a max 6-hour long free composition which you have to pick from a set of 3 titles of 3 different arguments chosen by the School Ministry -the same for the entire Country, all kind of schools- and then a second task different from school to school -in scientific highschool normally it's always a maths test, 3 different problems for which you have max 4 hours time) and the big oral test based on 2 different disciplines among those included in the program of the last 3 years, 1 chosen by the exam committee (but they were forced always to choose the discipline where you had the best entry evaluation, so you could manipulate a bit that choice and speculate on it), 1 at your choice, with the further rule that 1 argument had to be among the humanistic disciplines and the other among the scientific disciplines.

luckily, the foreign language was considered part of the humanistic disciplines, so I choose biology among the scientific disciplines and the committee didn't have any choice but to pick English language as my 2nd argument (I had really poor evaluations in the other humanistic disciplines). :p

the final evaluation was expressed with fraction of 60 votes, so 36 was the bare minimum to be licensed and finish the highschool (otherwise you have to repeat the whole final year). 

I got a miserable 43/60 because I entered the final examination by miracle (half the teachers wanted me not being qualified to enter the exams, a couple of them had to fight really hard for me).

I paid the prize to those 2 people with a very good final exam, especially the oral part...but the damage was already done and I couldn't really get more than that.

actually, my classlmates (and not only them) were really surprised to see me with such a high evaluation, they all thought I'd get a lucky 36 and nothing more.

misbelievers!!! :raspberry:

nowadays the evaluation system (and the final examination itself) are slightly different, I think now they have 3 written tasks and a multi-disciplinary oral part, with more arguments to prepare, but a different depth of knowledge (we were required to know our 2 disciplines at the same level of a University exam, knowing every line of the whole specific book -500/600 pages if not more).

• 2 weeks later...

Shooting at a private school in Tennessee :(

We’ve accepted this as the supposed price for “freedom,” so it’s honestly hard to feel anything but numb when these events happen.

Some states are happy to ban books and loosen child labor laws, so hard to be shocked we’re willing to sacrifice a few to gun violence :dunno:

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

And of course again now it'll be full with nonsense like "There should be better security at schools", "the gates weren't high enough" or "why didn't the teachers have guns?1", like with many of those previous school shootings.....as if schools having iron gates for security isn't ridiculous enough by itself :( 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!