website statistics

Athletics WA World Championships 2023

Totallympics

10 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

1) Not sure what you mean with superstar and how many superstars there are if Mihambo doesn't qualify. Personally i am not sure if there are any superstars in athletics right now. Not sure if there is any country except Sweden where someone like Duplantis would be recognized by more than 10 % of the population.

2) All the former greats are injured (reflection of the poor quality of german coaches), like so many other of the best german athletes (Mihambo, Baehre, Klosterhalfen, Kaul).

3) I am not sure if they will change anything, this just isn't how Germany works (anymore). Even someone like Jogi Löw was allowed to keep going after the embarrassement at the 2018 football world championships. It is the same with german politicians, they glue themselves to their position and refuse to leave no matter what happens. Germany has been "infiltrated" by bureaucrats that only care about their own position and not about what is best for the country, there is zero accountability. Of course it also doesn't help that almost all discussions in Germany are based on ideology and not pragmatism. The german energy/migration/defence policy is as braindead/ideology-driven as the german sports system (complete refusal to use performance enhancing substances or hire GDR coaches, while the rest of the world has zero problem doing those things). In a global competition you can't really afford ideology.

If Germany wants to do better in sports, they could start by cutting the funding for the NADA and (if possible) make it (close to) impossible for german athletes to be tested by german doping control officers outside of Germany. You can't expect to be competitive at world stage while doing your best to fight doping and also not installing and incentives for athletes to dope. German athletes get pathetically low medal bonuses.

If you mean 10% of the population in the specific country I really hope for the sport that it is not the case. Just being able to talk about Sweden I am pretty sure the majority know about Daniel Ståhl, and when almost 10% of the population watched the championship everyday - I even think some other swedish non-stars are known by 10%.

Most impressive nations for me:

:NED: They would have won 7 medals without the "fails" of Bol and Hassan. Next year i could see them winning 10 medals.

:AUS: Very impressive of them to win 6 medals, 4 of them in high jump/pole vault. Not sure how many other nations won more medals in athletics + swimming (the two core olympic sports).

:GBR: Insane 10 medals. Not sure if they will be able to repeat this next year. I would be rather surprised if Pattison or the men's 4 x 400 m relay again win a medal next year, but on the other hand Asher-Smith (100/200 m), Muir (1500 m), Lake (high jump), Caudery (pole vault), Hughes (200 m) or the men's 4 x 100 m relay could win a medal.

:NOR: 4 medals is a great result given their population size and they have the potential for even more (Skottheim/Rooth/Ingvaldsen).

:CAN: 4 gold medals for them is absolutely absurd, even 6 medals seems like an overperformance. Did any of the canadian medal contenders not win a medal? I didn't consider Ahmed, De Grasse, the men's 4 x 100 m relay or the women's 4 x 400 m relay medal contenders, but Dunfee in men's 20 km race walking might have been considered a medal contender. I think they will win 4-6 medals next year.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

2 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

Most impressive nations for me:

:NED: They would have won 7 medals without the "fails" of Bol and Hassan. Next year i could see them winning 10 medals.

:AUS: Very impressive of them to win 6 medals, 4 of them in high jump/pole vault. Not sure how many other nations won more medals in athletics + swimming (the two core olympic sports).

:GBR: Insane 10 medals. Not sure if they will be able to repeat this next year. I would be rather surprised if Pattison or the men's 4 x 400 m relay again win a medal next year, but on the other hand Asher-Smith (100/200 m), Muir (1500 m), Lake (high jump), Caudery (pole vault), Hughes (200 m) or the men's 4 x 100 m relay could win a medal.

:NOR: 4 medals is a great result given their population size and they have the potential for even more (Skottheim/Rooth/Ingvaldsen).

:CAN: 4 gold medals for them is absolutely absurd, even 6 medals seems like an overperformance. Did any of the canadian medal contenders not win a medal? I didn't consider Ahmed, De Grasse, the men's 4 x 100 m relay or the women's 4 x 400 m relay medal contenders, but Dunfee in men's 20 km race walking might have been considered a medal contender. I think they will win 4-6 medals next year.

Yes, would agree that Canada overperformed, with almost every single medal contender making it on the podium.  I agree about Ahmed, he hasn't been in the best of form this season. Neither has DeGrasse, but I couldn't count him out as he does have the ability to perform under pressure during major events. Why would you not consider the men's 4x100m relay to be a medal contender?? They're the reigning Olympic silver medalists, and reigning World Champions, also winning bronze at Rio 2016. Failing to advance to the final was a huge underperformance. (Ajomale was ridiculously slow in the heats, must've been the weather impacting his performance, because in Rio he helped advance our relay to the final, and his 100m times have more or less been the same). When has Dunfee ever achieved anything in the 20km race walk? 4th, and a HUGE NR was already more than Canada could have asked from him. On the women's 4x400m relay, they've placed 4th at Eugene 2022, and also at Tokyo 2020, but don't know how they've achieved half the success they've had, with mediocre 400m runners. 

On Norway, don't see Skotheim or Rooth developing enough to become podium contenders by the time Paris comes around. Would favor Mayer (fully healthy), Warner, LePage, Neugebauer, Moloney (also fully healthy), Victor, and maybe Garland at the moment.

57 minutes ago, Josh said:

Yes, would agree that Canada overperformed, with almost every single medal contender making it on the podium.  I agree about Ahmed, he hasn't been in the best of form this season. Neither has DeGrasse, but I couldn't count him out as he does have the ability to perform under pressure during major events. Why would you not consider the men's 4x100m relay to be a medal contender?? They're the reigning Olympic silver medalists, and reigning World Champions, also winning bronze at Rio 2016. Failing to advance to the final was a huge underperformance. (Ajomale was ridiculously slow in the heats, must've been the weather impacting his performance, because in Rio he helped advance our relay to the final, and his 100m times have more or less been the same). When has Dunfee ever achieved anything in the 20km race walk? 4th, and a HUGE NR was already more than Canada could have asked from him. On the women's 4x400m relay, they've placed 4th at Eugene 2022, and also at Tokyo 2020, but don't know how they've achieved half the success they've had, with mediocre 400m runners. 

On Norway, don't see Skotheim or Rooth developing enough to become podium contenders by the time Paris comes around. Would favor Mayer (fully healthy), Warner, LePage, Neugebauer, Moloney (also fully healthy), Victor, and maybe Garland at the moment.

1) I didn't consider Canada a medal contender because their individual times weren't really good this season. You could say the same about Italy (or Japan/China in the past), so it probably wouldn't have been a shock to see Canada winning a medal. I considered the US, Jamaica and GB the clear favorites, but i guess in the 4 x 100 m relay you shouldn't count on none of the favorites dropping the baton.

2) You are right about Dunfee's medal record in the 20 km event, but i thought that the removal of the 50 km event from the olympic program would lead him to focus more on the 20 km event and becoming better there.

3) I considered the US, Jamaica, the Netherlands, GB and maybe Poland to be (clearly) better in the women's 4 x 400 m relay, but you can't deny the canadian track record. Canada might become the new Poland in this event, based on their individual times they probably shouldn't be as fast as they are, but somehow they are still always in the fight for the medals, which is even more surprising when you take into consideration that changeovers are less crucial in the longer relay.

4) I would honestly shocked if Mayer would win a medal next year. I probably wouldn't even bet on him fininshing the competition. Not even sure if he will qualify (he will have to finish a decathlon before Paris to qualify). For me LePage is probably the biggest favorite ahead of Neugebauer. I would rank the favorites for bronze as follows: Warner (age), Skottheim, Rooth, Garland, Tilga, Victor (age)

I have a lot of trust in the norwegian program. Both of the norwegians focused on the european U23 championships this year, which explains their performance in Budapest. Not sure how likely Moloney is to return at 100 %. I think he hasn't done anything the past 2 years. Neugebauer has horrible technique in multiple events (high jump, pole vault) and is quite heavy, so he might be the most injury prone out of all of them. On the other hand he has a lot of room for improvement if he ever fixes his technique. He could probably gain 100 points alone in high jump and pole vault. Neugebauer might have the problem (unlike LePage and Warner) that he still has to qualify. Germany has multiple guys who could achieve the standard next year, so he will probably have to score higher than them to qualify.

5) The only potential new canadian medal contender (someone who hasn't won a medal before) for me is Sutherland in women's 400 m hurdles, but even for her it will be difficult, given that Bol and McLaughlin seem like locks for 2 of the 3 available medals. Newman in women's pole vault is probably too old to have another big improvement. Anyone else turning into a medal contender would be a shock to me. Of course it doesn't help that athletes like Nettey, Barber or Debues-Stafford flamed out rather quickly.

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.