website statistics

Athletics WA World Championships 2023

Totallympics

3 hours ago, Jan Linha said:

Damn it. And I could not see it live. Was deep night in China. Around 4 a.m. .... But this is an amazing achievement. I believed they could fight for a medal as having WL time this season. But after the heats, I started to doubt 🧐🧐. But in the final, they generally kept 4th spots the whole race, almost. But what happened to Bol and Hassan, it is hard to believe. Both :NED , this must bring a lot of desperation to Dutch fans.....

ah, you missed a lot. buddy. Michal Dusík, I thought the guy will have a cardiac attack I swear :d It was awesome

here it is, from the famous Bol dive moment and Dusík´s monologue :roflmao:

it can be played only on youtube though

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

I really don’t see what everyone dislikes about it. It’s just like the other relays. Plus, like I said above, it could help save quotas in the long run. 

I really think gendered relays should be dropped from multi-sports games when/where possible. There’s too many “relay only” athletes who take up quotas that could be used elsewhere.

Mixed gendered relays aren't really even as far as the importance of male and female athletes (or worse, in the swimming mixed medley relay, men who are good in specific strokes are more important than women who are good in specific strokes, and vice versa). It is especially blatant in the mixed snowboardcross relay, where the female athlete is just way more important than the male athlete, or in the short track mixed relay where the male athletes are way more important than the female athletes.

This kind of strategy doesn't really bother me in the same way in a same gendered relay because there is actual strategy around the order, as opposed to mixed relays where the order is set, and one gender is just inherently more important than the other (or the order isn't set but there is definitively a specifi strategy that is better, like in the mixed medley relay in swimming).

And anyway, relays are meant to demonstrate some amount of depth countries have, and mixed relays just don't do that as well.

As for why most people here dislike the mixed 4x400m relay: it's redundent with the same gender relays that already exist, and the primary country in 400m running ( :USA ) just doesn't think it matters enough, even at the Olympics, to take it seriously.

Edited by NearPup

11 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Mixed gendered relays aren't really even as far as the importance of male and female athletes (or worse, in the swimming mixed medley relay, men who are good in specific strokes are more important than women who are good in specific strokes, and vice versa). It is especially blatant in the mixed snowboardcross relay, where the female athlete is just way more important than the male athlete, or in the short track mixed relay where the male athletes are way more important than the female athletes.

I’d agree that’s an example of a bad mixed relay. For swimming, I’d drop the gendered 4x100 Free and 4x200 Free in favor of mixed relays, but leave the mixed medley gendered, since it makes more sense in that format.

11 minutes ago, NearPup said:

And anyway, relays are meant to demonstrate some amount of depth countries have, and mixed relays just don't do that as well.

I don’t agree there. If you have a strong men’s program, but a weaker women’s program, you don’t have depth. You have gender disparity in performance. Personally, I think mixed relays have the potential to be a more wholistic measure of team depth. However, as you point out, it doesn’t help if nations won’t take those events seriously.

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

@Olympian1010Nations do take the event seriously (vide Poland at SOG 2020) but sooner or later individual performances take priority due to packed schedule at the given championships (vide Natalia Kaczmarek at these champs). You can't expect top performance in three separate events across only 9 days when some of your top rivals might do a lighter schedule and have a clear physical advantage because of it.