website statistics

Men's Basketball FIBA Olympic Games Qualification Tournament 2021

George_D

51 minutes ago, George_D said:

which teams you see in medals at Tokyo? except USA ofc

oh well I'm just sure that Iran will lose all 3 games and will finish last :d

I think it depends on the rosters, and also these 4 new teams but France is of course one of the favorites

Surprised by Croatia‘s performance. Brazil might be the favorite at this tournament now. Germany hasn’t been convincing in their first game. Too bad that almost all nations are missing many of their top guys.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

Serbia played terrible those 2 games, and now one of the important defensive guys in the team Jović has injury that will prevent him from playing this summer. Slovenia and Brazil looked great, Canada will improve and I sure as hell hope we'll find another gear in semis and finals. 

16 hours ago, MHSN said:

bunch of kids from the Philippines almost beat the great Serbia. wow :yikes:

I don't know which alphabet I should use to explain this Philippines team. but I think none of these guys are playing in PBA . most of them are amateurs and yet Serbia had a very hard time against them. I was expecting a +40/50 win.

To be honest I was quite sursprised too, I was expecting a blow out. Majority of the team still plays in the collegiate ranks. PHI sent this team just to give these kids more international exposure against european type of play and familiarize playing with each other. we weren’t expecting to qualify for the tokyo olympics, they’re focused on the 2023 Basketball World Cup which we will be hosting together with Japan and Indonesia. A long term goal would be to qualify for 2024 or 2028 olympics.

Hopefully we will be able to get Jordan Clarkson to play for the country again, same with Jalen Green who is entered in the NBA draft

1 hour ago, Tigercub said:

To be honest I was quite sursprised too, I was expecting a blow out. Majority of the team still plays in the collegiate ranks. PHI sent this team just to give these kids more international exposure against european type of play and familiarize playing with each other. we weren’t expecting to qualify for the tokyo olympics, they’re focused on the 2023 Basketball World Cup which we will be hosting together with Japan and Indonesia. A long term goal would be to qualify for 2024 or 2028 olympics.

Hopefully we will be able to get Jordan Clarkson to play for the country again, same with Jalen Green who is entered in the NBA draft

thanks for the explanation

so this is something like that Smart Gilas project led by Rajko Toroman? preparing a bunch of amateur players this time for the 2023 World Cup?

since our NT played Philippines like million times :d I'm familiar with your basketball system. I still can't understand why you make it very complicated with your NT. just invite the best available players before each tournament. train few weeks together and you will be fine. you don't have to "create" a new team for each tournament. usually you change 20/30% of the team each year. not changing the whole team

3 hours ago, MHSN said:

thanks for the explanation

so this is something like that Smart Gilas project led by Rajko Toroman? preparing a bunch of amateur players this time for the 2023 World Cup?

since our NT played Philippines like million times :d I'm familiar with your basketball system. I still can't understand why you make it very complicated with your NT. just invite the best available players before each tournament. train few weeks together and you will be fine. you don't have to "create" a new team for each tournament. usually you change 20/30% of the team each year. not changing the whole team

Yes most likely, we will see the core of this young team in the world cup with a few additions in the line up

Politics within the local basketball community has been the problem, some professional teams don’t want to release their players for the NT by making excuses like injuries etc.

The professional league PBA scheduling gets in the way also for the availability of players just like in the last Asian Games where we went home empty handed in

men’s basketball