website statistics

Men's Basketball FIBA Olympic Games Qualification Tournament 2021

George_D

2 minutes ago, nenad said:

Yes, it was well known, it was the case in 2016 as well. You apply for hosting the tournament with your offer, how much money, what is your plan for hosting, which city, which arena, which hotels etc. It should be anonymous and then FIBA decides who wins it. So Serbia won it both for women's basketball and men's basketball and won it also in 2016 for the men. 

So, you guys must have a very rich basketball federation :d

However, that is really Interesting, I did not know that at all. I would never believe that something like this is possible.

1 hour ago, hckošice said:

Well, I believe we all want too. :p  But that's no reason to sell Olympic qualifying tournaments orgaizations like somewhere in the market. Damn, now I feel even more sorry for Croatia (and others eventually losing hosts), so much money thrown in vain for nothing

well, it was the same with FIVB and the world qualification tournaments in Volleyball...

there was a true auction for the Countries that wanted to host them...

money rules the sport nowadays...and everything is good to make a lot of money, even selling the hosting rights of a tournament (by the way, in 2016 Italy paid FIBA about 5 million US$ to host the tournament won by Croatia against us in the final match...this year it looks it's been cheaper to buy those rights)...

1 hour ago, hckošice said:

So, you guys must have a very rich basketball federation :d

However, that is really Interesting, I did not know that at all. I would never believe that something like this is possible.

Serbian government pays. It's like if you had a hockey tournament to qualify for Olympics at home, it gives you much better chance to qualify. It's like an investment. And we won silver medal in Rio, so it paid off. 

Just now, NearPup said:

These Canadian players are chocking hard.

I think Bennet shouldnt had been called at all. Pangos should be in team and also one of Tristan Thompson, Birch or Olynyk for the tall position. Dillon Brooks also