website statistics

World Games 2022

Totallympics

4 minutes ago, dcro said:

In which sense exactly? Better coverage?

Media interest generally speaking and overall recognition. Granted, I speak mostly from a french perspective (basically, no media coverage at all and sport officials barely noticing the event)

It might be vastly different in other countries.

12 minutes ago, dcro said:

In which sense exactly? Better coverage?

That would have been fairly unrealistic. Quality of sports coverage has really gone downhill since the pandemic started. Remember all those lovely shooting finals in Tokyo where the audience was left literally clueless since there was no graphics? Yeah, for me this was above average, for what it's worth.

no, I think he's saying that the athletes deserve better events, better organization, something that's worth the effort of training all of their life and not such a...well, I don't know even how to say...depressing environment, maybe?

3 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

Media interest generally speaking and overall recognition. Granted, I speak mostly from a french perspective (basically, no media coverage at all and sport officials barely noticing the event)

in Italy there was no coverage at all, only the olympic channels unreliable feeds...

if it wasn't for the usual website (OA Sport) who covers also the ant's races, no other media of any kind had a single reference to these Games...

50 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

No difference at all..

Several (usually) reputable Indonesian online news websites called the World Games as Wushu World Championships :lol: Some smarter ones managed to get the event name right but proudly claimed that sport climbing is not contested in Tokyo 2020 so it's contested in Birmingham

Before the games started I thought it would be a great games by organization and streaming perspective . Now that the games have ended one can argue if these games where even close to the Mediterranean games in Oran. 

Denying few visas to journalist is understood but by doing so with over a 100 athlethes is a crime and I wish US would never get to host any world event but I fear they would and have some on schedule in the coming years. 

World Games 2017 had better  broadcasting if I am not wrong. Way too less events were shown here. 

Poor graphics ,just 4 commentators for the entire games doesn't make it any better .

A Duathlon final with no one to guide the athletes and then disqualifying the ones who did extra lap just wraps it up. 

The sporting action was good and the most events were great to watch, just that the athletes didn't get what they deserved

It was so weird to not have to wake up early in order to race from venue to venue.

I’ll post much more about my experience in Birmingham later this week. I’m so exhausted at the moment.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Statement from the IFF regarding their experience trying to stream preliminary matches of their sport.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Alright, I’ve had about a week to recover now, so I might as well discuss my experience in Birmingham :d

I don’t really have much to compare it against other than a two day excursion to the 2015 Special Olympics World Games, but I was pleased with my experience in the “Magic City.” I managed to see 20 different sports/disciplines in ten days, which was as exhausting as it sounds. I became well acquainted with the area surrounding the convention center, football stadium, city hall, etc. A lot of that area had been remodeled/revamped ahead of the event, so it was quite nice. Security was very, very tight as well. There were roadblocks around many of the venues, armed officers, and the occasional K9 (dog) unit. I had a SWAT vehicle causally roll by me on more than one occasion, which was a surreal experience. Transportation was a bit of nightmare due to the roadblocks and various different shuttle systems. Nonetheless, I was able to get where I needed to go throughout the Games, even if that meant planning ahead or exercising some patience. The weather was honestly the most challenging environmental factor. It was crazy humid and crazy hot for a lot of the Games. Not to mention the occasional thunderstorm to keep everyone on their toes. Locals were friendly and generally aware of the Games. Attendance at the venues was good, perhaps a bit sparse for preliminaries, but much nearer capacity for finals. 

There were some organizational and/or logical issues that I encountered or heard about from time to time. For instance, some of the venues didn’t have wifi available to media, or didn’t do enough to explain how media members could get it. There were some network issues that affected streaming and the results system. Another, more media specific problem, was a lack of clearly marked mixed zones or interview areas, which led to some clashes/disagreements between the host broadcaster and other members of the press. Otherwise, things were mostly as they should be.

Thankfully, my flights were not held up by Prince Albert like @Sindo in Oran, so I managed to avoid that travel related headache :p

Overall, I’d say my experience was positive. It wasn’t without issues, complications, or unnecessary stress, but there were good memories made and great competitions to be watched. I’d be happy to write more about my experience if anyone has any questions they’d like answered about what it was like on the ground at The World Games 2022. 

7 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Overall, I’d say my experience was positive. It wasn’t without issues, complications, or unnecessary stress, but there were good memories made and great competitions to be watched. I’d be happy to write more about my experience if anyone has any questions they’d like answered about what it was like on the ground at The World Games 2022. 

Thank you for telling your experience and congrats for covering this event.

I'd like to know how many non Western media guys you managed to meet in Birmingham, as it was very visible (at least in the Southeast Asian media) that they rely on press release from NOC / team managers for the news and the general public basically doesn't know that the World Games in ongoing.