website statistics

Name the 5 Olympic moments most remembered in your Country

rafalgorka

Top 5 Olympic moments for 🇮🇳 (INDIA )

This is just my opinion and it may or may not tally with majority opinion.

My first Olympics was 1996(Atlanta) , hence this list includes achievements from 1996-2020(1)

Top moment #1

Abhinav Bindra’s Gold medal 🥇 in 2008 Beijing Olympics in 10mtr Air Rifle.

Top moment #2

Neeraj Chopra’s Gold medal 🥇 in Tokyo 2020-21 Olympics, in Javelin (M).

Top moment #3 

Sushil Kumar’s Silver medal 🥈 in London 2012 Olympic games in FS wrestling(M) 

Top moment #4

P.V Sindhu’s silver medal 🥈 in Badminton Singles(W) in the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.

Top moment #5

Leander Paes Bronze medal 🥉 in Lawn Tennis Singles(M) in Atlanta 1996 Olympic Games. This was  our first Olympic medal of any colour since the 1980 Olympics.

Special mentions must go to our Hockey teams(men) winning multiple gold medals 🥇 in different editions of the games, but all were before 1994 olympics hence they are not listed in MY top 5 moments for my Country INDIA.

😀

I'm going to give it a try, even though it's (thankfully) quite difficult to choose.

From the oldest to the newest:

- Pietro Mennea winning gold in the 200m in Moscow. Mennea is widely considered by Italians as the country's greatest athlete, together with Fausto Coppi. This was his greatest achievement, along with the world record that lasted for 17 years. He also won after a spectacular comeback.

- Alberto Tomba's double gold in Calgary 1988. Not only is Tomba the greatest winter sports athlete in Italian history, but his second win is often talked about because Rai (the Italian public tv) stopped the broadcasting of the Festival di Sanremo to show his race. Sanremo is to Italian tv what the Super Bowl is to American tv, except it lasts for four or five nights and is even more boring.

- Silvio Fauner outsprinting Bjoern Daehlie in the men's 4x10 km in Lillehammer 1994. I'm not sure about this pick, because cross country skiing is not one of the most popular sports in Italy, but this race is often mentioned as one of the greatest exploits in Italian sports history and one of the greatest upsets in cross country's Olympic history.

- Stefano Baldini winning gold in the men's marathon in the same stadium where modern Olympics were born.

- Marcell Jacobs winning the 100m in Tokyo a few minutes after Gianmarco Tamberi won gold in the high jump. There is actually a more exciting commentary from Rai, but this one is the only 'official' one available on YouTube.

Listening to @Monzanator advice here, I updated my top 5 most remembered olympic moments in POL.

1. Athletics - Men's Pole Vault - Moscow 1980

2. Volleyball - Men's Tournament - Montreal 1976

3. Ski Jumping - Men's Large Hill Individual - Sapporo 1972

4. Athletics - Women's 400m - Montreal 1976

5. Athletics - Men's 3000m Steeplechase - Moscow 1980

:-)

1- Vancouver 2010 ice hockey, Crosby's golden goal (the entire Olympics were memorable, with Canada winning 14 gold after no golds in Montreal 1976 and Calgary 1988)

2- Ben Johnson's positive drug test after winning 100m gold at Seoul 1988

3- Donovan Bailey's 2x gold medals at Atlanta 1996 (100m, 4x100m relay)

4- Tessa Virtue/Scott Moir gold medal ice dance to "Moulin Rouge" at Pyeongchang 2018

5- Women's soccer gold medal at Tokyo 2020

• 1 year later...
On 12/21/2022 at 4:36 PM, canadafan2024 said:

1- Vancouver 2010 ice hockey, Crosby's golden goal (the entire Olympics were memorable, with Canada winning 14 gold after no golds in Montreal 1976 and Calgary 1988)

2- Ben Johnson's positive drug test after winning 100m gold at Seoul 1988

3- Donovan Bailey's 2x gold medals at Atlanta 1996 (100m, 4x100m relay)

4- Tessa Virtue/Scott Moir gold medal ice dance to "Moulin Rouge" at Pyeongchang 2018

5- Women's soccer gold medal at Tokyo 2020

This thread popped up for me and since the last post was from a Canadian, I thought I'd pipe in (2 years later). 

#1 and #3 - absolutely. 

#2 - hate to say it, but yes. Every Canadian (at least those over 30) know the name "Ben Johnson". But that's what made Donovan Bailey even sweeter in 1996. 

#4 - I don't know. Of course most Canadians today know Virtue and Moir, they are on commercials and we all love them. Just not sure if this one routine makes the list. There are so many great Canadian figure skaters and figure skating moments in Canada. I grew up with Kurt Browning and Elvis Stojko. Then there's Joannie Rochette's emotional bronze in 2010 after her mother passed away. 

#5 - I personally enjoyed this, and the penalty kick comeback makes it an easy highlight reel. But we need time to pass before it makes the the list. 

Possible nominations for the list:

Many of these are older, so it's just about generations, I guess. 

-Crosby's Golden Goal will forever be #1. However, the golds in 2002 by both our men's and women's teams were crazy huge. First gold for the men in 50 years, while the women got revenge for 1998. I was in the streets in Montreal after the 2002 men's win and it was nuts till the early morning. 

-Schmirler the Curler winning the first curling gold in 1998. At the time Canada didn't win many golds, even at the WOG. With the men's curling and both hockey teams failing to win that year, this was our pride and joy. 

-Sylvie Frechette getting silver in synchro swimming in 1992 after a judge's error. The Brazilian judge accidentally pressed the wrong number (8.7 instead of 9.7) pushing Frechette down to silver. Despite alerting the officials right away it took a year and a half for the IOC to finally give her the gold. To make matters worse, she came home to find her boyfriend who had committed suicide shortly before the Olympics. 

-The Dufour-Lapointe sisters getting gold and silver in 2014 in moguls. Their other sister got 12th. 

-To stick with Moguls, Alexandre Bilodeau winning Canada's first gold on home soil in their 3rd home Games, with his brother cheering along in the crowd. 

-When TV channels would sign off for the night back in the old days (:d) CBC would play Greg Joy's silver medal performance in high jump from 1976. I was actually born after that took place, but I remember as a kid seeing that jump late at night on TV. 

-Ross Rebagliati won gold in the first snowboard event in 1998, then had it taken away because he tested positive for marijuana, then got it back because the COC protested that marijuana was not a banned substance. Everyone laughed that of course the snowboarder was a pothead. People my age remember this well since Rebagliati's defence that he must have inhaled secondhand pot at a party became a rallying cry of every teenager for years to come. 

On 12/4/2022 at 7:19 AM, Dragon said:

:GBR 

Torvill and Dean - Ice dance gold in Sarajevo

"Super Saturday" 2012 in athletics when Ennis, Rutherford and Farah all won gold

Coe versus Ovett in 1980

The fours rowing in 2000 when Redgrave won his 5th successive gold medal

And although it was before i was born but gets repeated on TV regularly

some strong choices.

Others I'd consider -

• The Mens Hockey Gold in 88 - at least partly because of Barry Davies's commentary
  • Derek Redmond in 92 - memorable for the emotion, not the sporting success obviously
  • Redgrave/Pinsent in 96 - an Olympics that was a nadir for British Olympics generally, so this was the sole really bright spot. But it maintained our record of a gold at every Summer Games
  • Kelly Holmes doing the double in Athens
  • Andy Murray in 2012
  • The entire opening ceremony. Utterly bonkers and utterly brilliant
Edited by Epic Failure

My moments since I began watching the Olympics, for Mexico, not that we win a lot of medals but at least since Sydney the haul is more 'decent' than before that edition.

- Mexican Soccer Team in London taking the gold unexpectedly, first and probably most important achievement for this sport like ever

- Soraya Jimenez weightlifting gold medal in Sydney, first for a mexican woman ever

- Maria Espinoza and Guillermo Perez taking gold medals in taekwondo at Beijing 2008

- Aida Roman & Mariana Avitia Silver & Bronze in Women's Archery in London 2012, first time 2 mexican women stood on the same podium

- And maybe an infamous moment, Sydney 2000 Men's 20 km walk, Mexico wining gold and bronze, Bernardo Segura wining, celebrating, but getting DQ and notified while he was having a call on national tv covering the games with the then selected as Mexico's next president 

Edited by Braulio

This would probably vary greatly depending on the generation but I'll give it a try. The list is unsurprisingly dominated by Sydney 2000 and swimming and I ignored 2020 because it's too recent. In no particular order:

Cathy Freeman lighting the cauldron at Sydney 2000

Cathy Freeman winning the 400m at Sydney 2000

Ian Thorpe wins gold in the 400m freestyle in world record at Sydney 2000

Steven Bradbury's last man standing gold at Salt Lake 2002 (entered colloquial vernacular as "doing a Bradbury")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAADWfJO2qM

Kieren Perkins defends 1500m gold after only scraping into the final by 0.2s at Atlanta 1996

On 12/4/2022 at 1:19 PM, Dragon said:

:GBR 

Torvill and Dean - Ice dance gold in Sarajevo

"Super Saturday" 2012 in athletics when Ennis, Rutherford and Farah all won gold

Coe versus Ovett in 1980

The fours rowing in 2000 when Redgrave won his 5th successive gold medal

And although it was before i was born but gets repeated on TV regularly

Difficult to disagree with you Dragon, although I'd offer up two more memories to vie with Hemery's gold and WR in Mexico City as the fifth choice.

Firstly, Mary Peter's gold in the pentathlon in Munich at the height of the Troubles in Northern Ireland in 1972, despite the IRA'S death threats against her. Sport was one of the few areas in which the communities could sometimes be brought together at that time as epitomised by people like George Best and Alex Higgins who enjoyed support across the sectarian divide. It's a memory that has often been repeated on the Beeb.

Secondly, Daley Thompson winning his second gold medal in the decathlon in Los Angeles in 1984. The back flip on the pole vault mat sticks in the memory and has often been repeated on TV.