website statistics

Name the 5 Olympic moments most remembered in your Country

rafalgorka

6 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Hard to really make a ranking off the top of my head, but Epke Zonderland's high bar gold in 2012 is probably in it, for sure the 1996 men's volleyball gold is in the list and I'd assume Ard Schenk's successes in 1972 (?) as well among the older generation. The Inge de Bruijn/Pieter van den Hoogenband Olympics in 2004 as well, as a whole. Anky van Grunsven's gold as well, when dressage for some reason was still a bit of a thing to watch, and Jochem Uytdehaage's record breaking double gold in Salt Lake.

Surely some rowing from the 80's or 90's as well, but I'd have no idea in which discipline they won gold other than the 'Holland Acht' in 1996 which is definitely in the list.

Totally agree, but we have to add Ellen van Langen (1992, gold in 800 meters), Yvonne van Gennip (triple gold in Calgary 1988) and Ireen Wüst (speedskating gold from 2006 till 2022) to the list.

Oh wait, we were only allowed to choose 5 ... 

43 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

3. Konstantinos Kenteris gold in the 200m at the 2000 Olympics. This is something everyone remembers.

I can imagine it's a massively remembered moment as it must have been huge at the time, but is it still looked at positively? No pun intended, but outside of Greece I think the name Kenteris basically goes together with the doping scandal :p I mean, every time I hear his name I have to go to Wikipedia to remind myself if he had won something before that 2004 drama and then realize he won gold in 2000 :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

33 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I can imagine it's a massively remembered moment as it must have been huge at the time, but is it still looked at positively? No pun intended, but outside of Greece I think the name Kenteris basically goes together with the doping scandal :p I mean, every time I hear his name I have to go to Wikipedia to remind myself if he had won something before that 2004 drama and then realize he won gold in 2000 :d 

Definitely not looked at as positively as it was at the time, but still one of the most remembered moments. Same with Halkia. Everyone in Greece still knows those names.

No one in Greece knows who Emilia Tsoulfa is, for example (gold medalist in sailing in 2004, but she barely got media attention because she wasn't in an "exciting" event).

@heywooduand @CCB have already named most of the memorable moments for the Netherlands. My top 5 includes one moment that hasn't been named yet:

1. Epke Zonderland's high bar gold in London 2012

This moment has become part of our collective memory thanks to the legendary commentary in the moment. 

2. Volleyball men's gold in Atlanta 1996

Prior to Zonderland's gold medal moment the volleyball men were probably the Olympic moment that most captured the collective Dutch imagination. I was too young to actively remember the moment myself.

3. Pieter van den Hoogenband and Inge de Bruijn's medals in Sydney 2000 and Athens 2004

I can't pinpoint a specific moment, but Pieter and Inge have produced so many incredible races and Olympic moments.

4. Sven Kramer's 10.000m disqualification in Vancouver 2010

Even if this was not a victorious gold medal moment, everyone in my generation remembers this moment. Where were you when Kramer missed his lane change in Vancouver? I stayed up with my parents watching this live around midnight and it was such a crazy moment to witness.

5. Ellen van Langen's gold in Barcelona 1992

A gold medal in Athletics is always special for a small country and so was Van Langen's beautiful race in Barcelona.

Honourable mentions that haven't been mentioned yet:

• Marianne Timmer's 1000m and 1500m golds in Nagano 1998 (again because of the commentary: Timmertje, Timmertje!)
  • Maarten van der Weijden's open water swimming gold in Beijing 2008 (from beating cancer to winning Olympic gold, his story and the fundraising he has done since has made him a bit of a national hero)
  • Nicolien Sauerbrei's snowboard gold in Vancouver 2010 (only snow medal ever for us)
  • The clean sweep of the 500m in Sochi 2014 (Michel Mulder took the gold over Jan Smeekens by only 0,012s)
  • Annemiek van Vleuten's traumatic crash in Rio 2016 (not a nice moment to remember but considering the career she's had since, I feel like it will be a moment that's remembered for a long time.)

Edited by Jinzha

2 minutes ago, Jinzha said:

4. Sven Kramer's 10.000m disqualification in Vancouver 2010

Even if this was not a victorious gold medal moment, everyone in my generation remembers this moment. Where were you when Kramer missed his lane change in Vancouver? I stayed up with my parents watching this live around midnight and it was such a crazy moment to witness.

I still remember reading people on a forum starting to go all "wtf, did he miss his exchange?!" and at the same time watching the odds on Betfair move up from 1.1 or so to 1.4....1.6....2 and then to 1000 all of a sudden, all within a minute during his race. Ok, game over :lol: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 minutes ago, Jinzha said:

Marianne Timmer's 1000m and 1500m golds in Nagano 1998 (again because of the commentary: Timmertje, Timmertje!)

This is also probably the number one example of the Mandela effect in Dutch sports commentary history :d

Timmertje meaning 'Little Timmer, like a nickname' --> Most people remember it was "Timmertje, Timmertje, wat doe je nou?", whereas it was actually "Timmertje, Timmertje, wat ga je doen?" :p