website statistics

Men's Football FIFA World Cup 2022

Totallympics

2 hours ago, rafalgorka said:

Well,

Let's put it this way.

I don't know all the details of this conversation, there's too much to follow, going on. I have focused myself on some other things lately.

But I think I may know this journalist and I may have - in some way - suggested him asking this part of this question: how he feels that his team has many Russian fans"

But whatever, let's talk about football here, SRB is out, POL will be out on Sunday. No need to get nervous.

Yes, we should focus only on football, my point exactly. 

I think some people on here are overestimating the quality of Spain and to some degree Brazil. Spain has probably only one world class player (Rodri) and they are using him out of position. Even Germany was the better team against them and probably has a better team on paper. Brazil has clearly more quality than Spain, but also only a hand full of world class players. I think France has clearly more individual quality and Portugal is roughly on the same level.

Before the start of the tournament i had the following ranking of potential world champions:

France

Brazil/Portugal

England

Argentina

Netherlands

On paper France, Brazil and Portugal are the only teams without obvious holes in their squad, but after watching the group stage i would say that things might be a bit more open. Argentina looked a bit better than i expected and Portugal looked a bit worse. I feel that Portugal will have to bench Ronaldo (in favor of Leao) if they want to have a realistic chance to win the title. In my opinion England and Argentina have almost the same problem. Both don't really have an elite goalkeeper/defense, so they need to hope that their individual quality up front makes up for it. The Netherlands have a good defense, but no good goalkeeper and no elite offense. Still baffled that the Netherlands didn't nominate Flekken and Danjuma.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

13 hours ago, thepharoah said:

https://www.facebook.com/watch?v=1523973001358988

German fans are cutting Ozil photos which Qatari fans were raising , these fans are really dumb and stupid , they don't appreciate what Ozil has done for 6 years at least from 2010-2016 where Germany played its best ever entertaining football and ozil was such a key player in this , i can get mad from Lewandowski as a bayern fan , but ofc i won't hate him and i won't forget those 8 years that he has done for Bayern 

1) If i remember correctly, many/most of those "qatari fans" weren't actually qatari.

2) Their whole act was extremely embarrassing.

3) I think cutting up photos of Özil doesn't achieve anything and seems pretty childish.

4) I was very glad when Özil was gone and would have wished to see him thrown out of the team before the 2018 world cup.

5) German football certainly wasn't at its best between 2010 and 2016. If you really feel that way, then you probably don't know anything about the history of the german national team. 2010-2016 was a very good period with mostly very good football, but during thee 70s and 90s the german team was better (in terms of titles).

Edit: I just looked up how many european/world finals the german national team made in any given 6 year span (starting in even years) since 1972. Between 2010 and 2016 the german national team made 1 final (2014 world champion). Between 1972 and 2002 there was only one 6 year period where Germany made as little european/world finals:

1972-78: 3

1974-80: 4

1976-82: 3

1978-84: 2

1980-86: 3

1982-88: 2

1984-90: 3

1986-92: 3

1988-94: 2

1990-96: 3

1992-98: 2

1994-00: 1

1996-02: 2

Edited by OlympicsFan

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

13 hours ago, kungshamra71 said:

Portugal vs Switzerland is gonna be an equivalent to Morocco vs Belgium haha (there are a lot of Portuguese immigrants in Switzerland)

1) You think portuguese people are as likely to show such a behavior in a country that took them up?

2) You think portuguese people who went to Switzerland are the same kind of "crowd" as morrocan people who went to Belgium?

3) You think Switzerland is as likely as Belgium to let this kind of behavior fly?

10 hours ago, bestmen said:

there is no team B , all these teams who call themselves strong can't use doping in Qatar, that's why they failed 

1) Why the hell wouldn't they be able to use doping in Qatar?

2) Wouldn't they usually use doping in training camps before the start of the season (which took place outside of Qatar)?

4 hours ago, rafalgorka said:

My QFs bracket, traditionally all wrong

:NED vs :ARG

:CRO vs :BRA

:ENG vs :FRA

:MAR vs :SUI

I would be pretty shocked if France, Argentina or Brazil would be eliminated, but all other matches in the round of last 16 seem at least somewhat open.

2 hours ago, rafalgorka said:

I know noone cares about that, but I looked over the bracket and I have been to 8 out of 16 of these countries and from what I've seen there, noone will get more fun than :MAR beating :ESP here, but it's quite obvious.

I would like to see social media from Fez and around when it happens.

Cheered for :ESP in this World Cup (and :POL and :FRA) but after :JPN match I changed my mind. The same with :POR . Sorry for that.

1) I think you might be overestimating the spanish team. I think even at their best a win against Japan wouldn't have been safe.

2) They did what was best for them (getting an easier path), so i can't blame them. I wish german athletes and officials would show this kind of pragmatism more often.

17 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

1) You think portuguese people are as likely to show such a behavior in a country that took them up?

2) You think portuguese people who went to Switzerland are the same kind of "crowd" as morrocan people who went to Belgium?

3) You think Switzerland is as likely as Belgium to let this kind of behavior fly?

1) nope. Don’t even remember of any situation where that happened, even on Luxembourg where we’re the biggest minority there (I think) there is a good notion of “I know I’m Portuguese, but I’m here to integrate”

2) they are certainly Portuguese “fanatics”, but screaming at the tv in the local Portuguese club is the most you will get from it. Or, if they win, they can go around in their car with a flag , but no more than that 

3)Definitely not.

23 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Also, the “is gonna be equivalent” was meant to compare the fact that Portuguese are a big immigrant community in Switzerland , just like Moroccan are a big community in Belgium.

definitely not equivalent on the destruction that happened afterwards