website statistics

Croatia National Thread

dcro

Yeah, this qualification campaign is pretty much a mess. We will probably have less than 80 participants in Rio in not more than 15 Sports. I still have hopes for the future as we at least in some sports seem to have some good young athletes. Like Kolak, Mihaljevic, Horvat, Greguric and Markovic in Track and Field, Obrovac and Paut in Swimming, then there is Novakovic in Canoe Sprint, Barbara and Brigita Matic in Judo, Coric, Konjuh and Vekic in Tennis, Saric, Hezonja, Arapovic and Bender in Basketball, Babic and Runtic in Taekwondo, Gustin in Shooting, Rakovac and Pucar in Table Tennis, Mihalic is still young as are Marcela Maric and Maja Boric and even Hrgovic in Boxing. This gives me hope that we will have medal candidates in the future and maybe can make progress in some sports.

Edited by Milan

Well, Mihalić should still have a chance at final QT next month, which is perhaps a bit easier thanks to reallocation.

Ranking round is obviously no problem for him (he did very well at both European Games last year and EQT now). Hopefully he'll handle his nerves well next month.

#banbestmen

Some good results from our athletes in Austria.

Ivana Lončarek - 13.15 (100m hurdles)

Lucija Pokos - 23.72 (200m)

Roland Varga - 62.56m (discus throw)

These three have an outside chance for Rio.

#banbestmen

Dodig lost RG semifinals meaning that he will lose his Top 10 position in doubles rankings... I guess we'll still have a double but still.

Konjuh is going well in Bol though. A win tomorrow should secure her a place in Rio.

#banbestmen

Konjuh retired today in her mach against Minella. She apparently still has Problems with her back. Taiwanese Hsieh has overtaken her in the rankings with her win in Marseille SF today. I think now Konjuh can only gain a place in Rio through reallocation.

Well, I guess next up for us is the open water swimming qualifier in Setubal. Karla Sitic is our only participant there.

10 minutes ago, Crolympic said:

Is there any possibility that Karlovic or Lucic can compete in Rio even though they didn't play Davis/Fed Cup matches?

Only if ITF relaxes some requirements I guess. But I don't really think that could happen.

And I doubt that Karlović would play even if he was able to. He dropped out of both Beijing 2008 and London 2012 because of some alleged injuries.

#banbestmen

14 minutes ago, dcro said:

Only if ITF relaxes some requirements I guess. But I don't really think that could happen.

And I doubt that Karlović would play even if he was able to. He dropped out of both Beijing 2008 and London 2012 because of some alleged injuries.

I thought that our national federation can do something about it.