website statistics

Russia-Ukraine Crisis Consequences in Sports

Totallympics

The head of the Russian Olympic Committee, Stanislav Pozdnyakov, said that the issue of ensuring the safety of Russian athletes at the 2024 Olympic Games in Paris is critically important, which was also noted by the Russian Foreign Ministry.

“The Ministry of Foreign Affairs in its comments always says that the issue of security is critical in this situation. The same was discussed at the board of the Ministry of Sports. Neither the national federation, nor government services, nor the national Olympic committee, which is cut off from the process by these recommendations, will deal with this,” TASS quotes Pozdnyakov as saying.

This sounds a lot like what the USSR said before the 1984 Games. Using athlete safety concerns to justify pulling out of the Games

7 minutes ago, Dragon said:

This sounds a lot like what the USSR said before the 1984 Games. Using athlete safety concerns to justify pulling out of the Games

Unlike 1984, they don't have as much influence on other nations to follow suit.

18 minutes ago, Dragon said:

The head of the Russian Olympic Committee, Stanislav Pozdnyakov, said that the issue of ensuring the safety of Russian athletes at the 2024 Olympic Games in Paris is critically important, which was also noted by the Russian Foreign Ministry.

“The Ministry of Foreign Affairs in its comments always says that the issue of security is critical in this situation. The same was discussed at the board of the Ministry of Sports. Neither the national federation, nor government services, nor the national Olympic committee, which is cut off from the process by these recommendations, will deal with this,” TASS quotes Pozdnyakov as saying.

Interesting. This is where the French organising committee can play its cards. If they are keen to make IOC President smile they make noises about meeting the Russians and extra security if required. If they prefer the Russkis don't come, they make indignant noises about existing security being entirely adequate and the Russian noises insulting and inappropriate.

If they want to really rile the Russians, they pronounce their security entirely adequate, while noting that there are limits as regards what any state can provide when met with the sort of organised international mendacity we saw in, for example, Salisbury.

I wonder if some of our Romanian users could write a bit about circumstances of that ROU decision. My bet is Causeascu thoght that in those difficult time for Romanian people (the 80's) sports success may make some support for him and improve the mood in the nation. But i don't know Romania, never been there, that's my thoughts only, my guesses.

For anybody who can read Russian or, more probably, uses Google Translate - there's a good explanation on what Russia thinks of Olympic qualification chances here 

https://www.sport-express.ru/olympics/paris2024/reviews/kto-iz-rossiyan-i-v-kakih-vidah-sporta-mozhet-poehat-na-igry-2024-goda-v-parizh-podrobnosti-olimpiyskoy-kvalifikacii-2156314/

On 12/13/2023 at 7:45 PM, Dragon said:

For anybody who can read Russian or, more probably, uses Google Translate - there's a good explanation on what Russia thinks of Olympic qualification chances here 

https://www.sport-express.ru/olympics/paris2024/reviews/kto-iz-rossiyan-i-v-kakih-vidah-sporta-mozhet-poehat-na-igry-2024-goda-v-parizh-podrobnosti-olimpiyskoy-kvalifikacii-2156314/

So, basically outside combat sports they will not qualify in any other sport, I think. 

• 3 weeks later...