website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Los Angeles 2028 Sports Programme

52 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

NBC Sports is reporting that lacrosse and squash are indeed part of the proposal. LA28 will ask for six(!) additional sports at the IOC Session.

All these sports look good, and make sense in an American context (they have the infrastructure already to host a baseball/softball tournament, along with the other sports). But flag football is pretty silly to me. Maybe I'm an old stuffy man, but I've embraced the introduction of other new sports. Breaking and now flag football just reduce the prestige of the Olympics to me. Skateboarding and surfing also weird, but I see what they're doing. Anyway, happy for cricket, squash and lacrosse of this works out.

am i the only one who hates this idea of having a sport only for 1 edition to satisfy the host country ?!

to me this is a terrible idea and Tommy Bach should go to jail for crime against humanity for bringing that idea :smash:

let's say a 15 years kid in Madagascar watches Squash in 2028 and falls in love with the sport, but when he gets 20/30 years old that sport is not on the Olympic program anymore! that was a lame example but I just wanted to say some people plan their whole lives around the Olympics. I wish fencing wasn't on the 1976 olympics program

22 minutes ago, MHSN said:

am i the only one who hates this idea of having a sport only for 1 edition to satisfy the host country ?!

Demonstration sports were a thing for quite a while.

I'm on the fence. For non-venue specific sports like karate or squash, a decision should be made one way or another, but for sports like baseball/softball and cricket where the venue is specific (and expensive) I don't mind them showing up every now and then. Like I don't expect Paris to host a baseball/softball tournament.

33 minutes ago, MHSN said:

to me this is a terrible idea and Tommy Bach should go to jail for crime against humanity for bringing that idea :smash:

let's say a 15 years kid in Madagascar watches Squash in 2028 and falls in love with the sport, but when he gets 20/30 years old that sport is not on the Olympic program anymore! that was a lame example but I just wanted to say some people plan their whole lives around the Olympics. I wish fencing wasn't on the 1976 olympics program

I actually think it's a great idea. First, it encourages countries to host a bit more since they can include sports that are locally popular and will win them some extra medals. It also (should) ensure the host has the proper infrastructure to have these sports instead of placing more burden on them to create white elephants. Third, it adds a bit of cultural flair for each host city - Karate in Japan, Breaking (sigh) in Paris, Baseball in the USA. And then to your point about encouraging participation, it allows smaller sports that aren't ready to be permanent additions to get the attention that might help them grow enough to become permanent in the future.  

When I've talked to casual sports/Olympic fans about this they tend to really like the idea. As long as the core sports stay I think they're happy. My issue is when really niche or...questionable sports like breaking are included. There are so many other worthy sports that have been trying forever to get in, it just feels like an old man trying to be hip.  

Edit: I forgot my last point, which was the host city is the one investing the money and the one who needs to recoup it. By hosting locally popular sports using existing infrastructure, they can potentially sell more tickets and get more interest which helps their bottom line.  Again, this encourages future bids.  

Edited by orangeman

23 minutes ago, MHSN said:

1 edition, so they say :rolleyes: The Tokyo ones should have been 1 edition, but.. (well poor karate), the Paris ones should have been 1 edition, but..

This whole charade wouldn't even be so bad, if they actually set some rules and followed them... Like ok, every host can have 3 special sports added, but after the Games they are gone. If the next host wants to include some of those, then fine, they do have their 3 picks too. But don't trick people, that they are temporary and then just pile 10 additional sports, while butchering all others.

55 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Lacrosse is great to watch, but the sport is less developed worldwide than flag football

The sixes finals had a great atmosphere last year. It’s very much a “host pick,” but the :CAN v. :USA rivalry should be fun if the IOC approves.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

The sixes finals had a great atmosphere last year. It’s very much a “host pick,” but the :CAN v. :USA rivalry should be fun if the IOC approves.

And if the results repeat in 2028 even better :d

43 minutes ago, MHSN said:

If they aren’t going to allow demonstration sports anymore, this might be the best compromise. I do think it is important to have some local flavor/interest reflected in the sports program. The Olympics are about cultural exchange in many ways. Of course, it shouldn’t get out of control. 

I do understand how it could affect athletes though. Of course, if sport really shines at the Games, it can make reoccurring appearances like we’ve seen with surfing, skateboarding, and sports climbing.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela