website statistics

Summer Olympic Games Los Angeles 2028 Sports Programme

7 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

There are very few Olympic arguments that boil my blood as much as “x isn’t a sport.” Mainly because I don’t actually think the Olympics should be solely about sport. There should be room for mind sports, artistic competition, and maybe even e-sports. 

The Olympics, in ancient times, were meant to be a celebration of humanity. There were sporting and artistic competitions. It was also a time to exchange social/political ideas. People gathered to celebrate many aspects of Hellenic life. I think the modern ideal of the Olympics as a purely sporting competition meant for only the “best of the best” loses sight of what the Games are supposed to be about. The Olympics should be world championships, Cannes/TIFF/Sundance, Glastonbury/Coachella, The World’s Fair, International peace summit, etc. mixed into one.

It’s a pipe dream of mine, but I do think the focus on elite sport has detracted from some of the more charming/eloquent aspects of the Olympics. 

Cricket, modern pentathlon, breaking, etc. all add something to the event even if you don’t personally enjoy them. The Olympics are fun because of the diversity of sports offered. I don’t think we should lose sight of that during all our deliberations in this thread. 

absolutely correct ..de coubertin got a medal in art competetion during 1912 olympics, it should cover different aspects (but under correct names and titles)  should be a worldwide festival for all talents (but this is like a dream) ...again ..well said my friend :thumbup:

4 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

There are very few Olympic arguments that boil my blood as much as “x isn’t a sport.” Mainly because I don’t actually think the Olympics should be solely about sport, but also because it’s insulting to athletes/competitors who work very hard to be the best at what they do. Personally, I believe there should be room for mind sports, artistic competition, and maybe even e-sports. 

The first argument is a matter of preference of course, but the second argument: I couldn't agree more. There are plenty of sports which, personally, I wouldn't want as part of the Olympic program (hello breakdancing, modern pentathlon among others), but that doesn't mean I don't respect the work the athletes put in...

Added to that: the sports which for me don't need to be part of the program....what I care about is not that they are part of the program, but that they take away decently sized fields - or even entire events - from other sports which I personally prefer.

Anyhow, as much of a sports fan as I consider myself, I am extremely happy I am not the one making any decisions about all this, since there is no way to do it 'right' :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

By the way, quick question: I see this thread has absolutely exploded in the past few days....is there any actual news or is it mostly discussion? I wish I did (and normally I do), but sadly at the moment I don't have time to read 10+ pages about everything :d 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

By the way, quick question: I see this thread has absolutely exploded in the past few days....is there any actual news or is it mostly discussion? I wish I did (and normally I do), but sadly at the moment I don't have time to read 10+ pages about everything :d 

Friday the additional LA 28 sports should be decided

1 minute ago, hckošice said:

Friday the additional LA 28 sports should be decided

Oh boy. Judging by the amount of times I've seen 'cricket' while scrolling through the past pages, I have a feeling.... :p 

The nine sports seeking inclusion for LA28 consists of flag football, karate, kickboxing, baseball-softball, lacrosse, breakdancing, squash, motorsport and cricket.

Of those nine sports, karate and baseball-softball are the only ones that were included in the Tokyo 2020 Games.

While their inclusion would only be assured for one edition of the Games, these sports are banking on the boost provided by their inclusion to spur growth and remain an attractive Olympic product going into the next four-year cycle.

In February 2022, the IOC confirmed 28 "youth-focused" sports for inclusion at LA28 a list that includes skateboarding, sport climbing, and surfing.

Next year's Paris 2024 Olympics organisers have included four additional sports for their Games - breakdancing, sport climbing, skateboarding and surfing - the last three of which also featured as additional events at the Tokyo Games.

Wait, sports climbing being 'additional sports' for Tokyo and Paris, but not even being mentioned for LA....does that mean the Olympic era of sports climbing - a rare new Olympic sports which actually adds a whole lot to the program - will already end after Paris? :yikes: 

Edited by heywoodu

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Oh boy. Judging by the amount of times I've seen 'cricket' while scrolling through the past pages, I have a feeling.... :p 

Yeah, but not going to fall in this trap again, so I am not going to post anything in this topic :p

I was already "educated" here quite hardly last year that this is not cricket as I always thought, so it was enough for me :p

1200px-Modern_croquet_equipment.JPG

Edited by hckošice

Just now, heywoodu said:

Wait, sports climbing being 'additional sports' for Tokyo and Paris, but not even being mentioned for LA....does that mean the Olympic era of sports climbing - a rare new Olympic sports which actually adds a whole lot to the program - will already end after Paris? :yikes: 

No sport climbing, skateboarding and surfing are now considered to be core sports

4 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

No sport climbing, skateboarding and surfing are now considered to be core sports

Well if I have to tolerate skateboarders doing a 0,3 second trick and surfers laying in the water for half an hour before trying something in order to have sports climbing on the program, alright, I can do that :smoke: