website statistics

Fencing Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

7 hours ago, Jan Linha said:

I cant believe what just happened. :CZE made it to the final and secured a team spot in Paris 🥹🥹🥹🥹. I shed a lot of happy tears for them. 

What a great way for Jiri Beran to probably finish his career - just phenomenal performance from your team, congrats. With both Japan and Czechia qualified Ukrainians will have for whom to root for in team epee. :thumbup: 

8 hours ago, Jan Linha said:

I cant believe what just happened. :CZE made it to the final and secured a team spot in Paris 🥹🥹🥹🥹. I shed a lot of happy tears for them. 

and :BEL Neisser Loyola can join the party, too

he looked so sad and destroyed yesterday after losing the final vs :FRA Cannone because he knew he wasn't going to Paris (at least in that moment), but now I guess his mindset has completely turned around :d

6 hours ago, Illya said:

What a great way for Jiri Beran to probably finish his career - just phenomenal performance from your team, congrats. With both Japan and Czechia qualified Ukrainians will have for whom to root for in team epee. :thumbup: 

Yeah, thanks. He mentioned in media that this is his last season. And you can't have better moment than finishing your career at the Olympics. Just amazing. 

5 hours ago, phelps said:

and :BEL Neisser Loyola can join the party, too

he looked so sad and destroyed yesterday after losing the final vs :FRA Cannone because he knew he wasn't going to Paris (at least in that moment), but now I guess his mindset has completely turned around :d

Yeah, he was surely cheering in his hotel room for the :CZE team 😃😃😃😃

I think :SUI must be devastated as finishing 4th in the previous WC, 6th this time but none of them, including in the individual ranking, does not make it to Paris ...... I guess they have to rely on Bayard to make it there through the qualification event. 

9 hours ago, stepansevs said:

I am new in fencing rules, so could you please help me with this question?

If team is qualified, can compete in individual all 3 athletes?

Yes, 3 athletes will compete in the individual competition. My guess, the top three has been decided. Jiří Beran, Jakub Jurka, Martin Rubeš. 4th spot will be for the alternate. This time it was Čupr and I guess he will go or there may inner qualification event for them. Lately, Josef Balcar is also very good so I guess either Čupr or Balcar will be the alternate. So he will be a part of the team for the team event but won't participate in the individual competition. Would if there was an injury of one of other members. 

First part of the qualification is over, now we'll have:

1) Zonal Qualification tournaments in April - this will bring the total to 34 athletes per individual event;

2) since France won't need to use any host quota place, 8 Universality Places decided by the Tripartite Commission. That's a lot of places, especially considering that the few decent fencers from eligible countries could be qualified on their own by then;

3) reallocation of unused Universality Places:

"if the Tripartite Commission is not able to allocate Universality Place(s), such unallocated Place(s) will be attributed by the FIE to the next highest-ranked eligible athlete in the Individual Senior Adjusted Official Ranking (AOR) as of 1 April 2024, across all weapon and all FIE Zones, but strictly respecting the following:
- The maximum number of athletes in each individual event (37) and

- The NOC must not have any athlete already qualified in the corresponding individual event "

The following would be the first fencers in line for such reallocations - of course some of them will likely qualify first through their Zonal QT

Spoiler
RANK NAME NOC POINTS EVENT
8 ILIEVA Yoana BUL 115 w sabre
13 LLAVADOR Carlos ESP 98 m foil
17 XIAO Ruien CAN 76,5 w epee
19 BASHTA Anna AZE 75 w sabre
20 YILDIRIM Enver TUR 78 m sabre
20 ERBIL Nisanur TUR 71 w sabre
22 NAVARRO Araceli ESP 70 w sabre
23 BAYARD Alexis SUI 68 m epee
23 TEODOSIU Iulian ROU 66 m sabre
25 DI TELLA Isabel ARG 58 w epee
28 FRAZAO Miguel POR 55,5 m epee
29 PEREIRA Yulen ESP 55 m epee
29 HRYCIUK Szymon POL 53 m sabre

14 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

I would be surprised if more than four quotas went to tripartite nations. Off the top of my head I can think of :CPV :KUW :MLI :NIG :ISV as possible candidates.

will there be tripartite invitations? When ? and how much? THANKS

42 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

I would be surprised if more than four quotas went to tripartite nations. Off the top of my head I can think of :CPV :KUW :MLI :NIG :ISV as possible candidates.

Kuwait has already one fencer qualified in sabre, will they still be considered in epee/foil? I guess having no women competing lower their chances. 

Also, will participation in the Zonal QT be taken into account? :ISV for example has a decently placed woman in epee but haven't entered her so far for the tournament, while they did enter a couple fencers in other weapons.

Edited by Faramir