website statistics
20 minutes ago, mattiekav119 said:

Not to overhype things this far out but Rhasidat’s wind assisted 10.84 100m beating Dina Asher Smith and Julien Alfred is really exciting and bodes well for speed over the 400.

Here’s hoping the endurance is there too

Massive run by Rhasidat. The time is still hugely impressive, big wind or no big wind but it is the margin she beat some big names in that race which was most impressive including the amazing start she had. I cannot wait to see her race over the lap now. I think she will take a big chunk out of her 200m NR too when she gets a chance :)

Team Ireland - Paris 2024 Qualification Tracker
Posted (edited)

I was doing some calculating a few months back and it became obvious the men's double badminton pair never really had a shot at qualifying even though they were showing in a qualifying spot. The reason being that many pairs from other nations had not yet competed in enough events to gather points and it was clear that over the course of the next few months they would move clearly ahead.

I am a bit worried too about our rowing and boxing teams, neither seem to be hitting the Olympic year in ideal form. For rowing, I am sure just like last year they will improve greatly in the coming months, but I was secretly hoping we could see some major breakthroughs and push for another gold from another crew outside of the lightweight men's double. It can all still come together of course, I think as fans we are just looking for those signs that this summer will be a good one.
The boxing team, since Rio 2016 I go into each Olympics expecting absolutely nothing and anything is a bonus. But still the start to this year has not been good at all. Anything can still happen in Paris though, good or bad but it's unlikely we will get a haul of boxing medals.

Edited by OlympicIRL

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, duineeile said:

Why don't Ireland ever enter the European qualification regatta? Is it a case of 'If they can't do it via final qualifier then they're not good enough?'

The continental qualifier is only open to nations that qualified 0 or 1 boat at the World Championships. Ireland qualified 6 boats there so we aren’t eligible to compete.

Edited by OlympicIRL

Jack Woolley qualifies for his second Olympic Games in taekwondo and becomes the 91st member of Team Ireland!

IRELAND

Ireland-Flag-icon.png

Total Athletes

Men

Women

Total Events

Total Sports

074035iyk0w0zfkzk1c919.png

Taekwondo

Event Athlete Qualification Route
 074035iyk0w0zfkzk1c919.png  Men's -58kg

Jack Woolley

ETU European Olympic Qualifier

March 10, 2024

Events

Athletes

Team Ireland Qualification Tracker

Edited by OlympicIRL

I've a lot of updating to do on the qualification tracker! I am assuming I should go ahead and count the swim relay quotas for now and revise it if we don't qualify the requisite number of individual athletes to make up the relay squads. Would you all agree?

The women's medley relay squad already have 2 qualified athletes so they should be good anyway. I think the men's will be fine also but we might have to sweat it out to see if a couple of our guys will be high enough up the rankings to receive invitations in their individual events.

Edited by OlympicIRL

Fionnuala McCormack has qualified for her 5th Olympic Games and becomes the 68th member of Team Ireland for Paris 2024.

Fionnuala finished the World Athletics Platinum Label marathon in Valencia in a time of 2:26:19 hrs, inside the Olympic qualifying time of 2:26:50 hrs.

IRELAND

Ireland-Flag-icon.png

Total Athletes

Men

Women

Total Events

Total Sports

Full List of Team Ireland Qualifiers

Posted (edited)

Robert Dickson and Seán Waddilove have secured Olympic quotas in the men's skiff 49er class for the Paris 2024 Olympics. There was one qualification spot on offer at the European Championships in Portugal and the Irishmen claimed it, finishing in 8th place and more importantly as the top placed nation of those not already qualified.
In sailing, quotas are awarded to the NOC instead of the athletes who earned them but in all likelihood this quota will be awarded to Dickson and Waddilove.

It means Ireland has now qualified 67 athletes for the Paris 2024 Olympics!

IRELAND

Ireland-Flag-icon.png

Total Athletes

Men

Women

Total Events

Total Sports

074021b7xcpuppb0p82epp.png

Sailing

Event Athlete Qualification Route
 074021b7xcpuppb0p82epp.png  Men's 49er

Athlete Quota - TBD

2023 Sailing European Championships - 8th Place

November 13, 2023

Quota won by Robert Dickson and Sean Waddilove

Athlete Quota - TBD

2023 Sailing European Championships - 8th Place

November 13, 2023

Quota won by Robert Dickson and Sean Waddilove

Events

Athletes

Full List of Team Ireland Qualifiers

Edited by OlympicIRL

Posted (edited)

Daniel Wiffen becomes the 43rd member of Team Ireland, making the OQT in the men's 800m freestyle. Here is a summary of the Paris 2024 Olympic team as it stands:

IRELAND

Ireland-Flag-icon.png

Total Athletes

Men

Women

Total Events

Total Sports

List of Team Ireland Qualifiers

Edited by OlympicIRL

Posted (edited)

Mona McSharry becomes the 42nd qualified athlete for Paris 2024. She set a new PB and Irish record of 1:05.55 mins this morning to go through as 2nd fastest qualifier for this evening’s semis of the women’s 100m breaststroke. What a swim!

Edited by OlympicIRL

Updated the tracker with the qualifiers throughout this weekend:

Athletics - Diamond League Monaco

:IRL Rhasidat Adeleke (Women's 400m)

:IRL Ciara Mageean (Women's 1500m)

Swimming - World Championships, Fukuoka

:IRL Ellen Walshe (Women's 200m Individual Medley)

We now have 41 athletes qualified for Paris 2024!

Rhasidat Adeleke becomes the 39th member of Team Ireland with a second place finish over 200m at the Gold Label meeting in Hungary this evening. Her time of 22.36 secs is well inside the Olympic qualifying time of 22.57 secs and just 0.02 secs off her own Irish record she set earlier in the year.
Her main event of course being the 400m which she will hope to achieve the Olympic qualifying time at the Monaco Diamond League on Friday!

Posted (edited)

It looks like we have our 37th member of Team Ireland with Brian Fay breaking Alistair Cragg's long-standing Irish record in the men's 5000m tonight in Heusden-Zolder, Belgium. His time of 13:01.40 mins dips well below the Olympic qualifying time (13:05:00 mins).

Edited by OlympicIRL

Ireland Predictions for Paris 2024
Posted

I think Daniel Wiffen is an exciting prospect for Paris. He’s already in and around top 8 in 800m freestyle which is his best event and he reached the world final this year. But at the Commonwealths he also brought his 400 and 1500 times to a world class level which will certainly bode well for his future progress in the 800.

If he can keep progressing over the next 2 years he could very well be in with a shout of being on the podium. You can’t take anything for granted though but I think he’ll be our best shot a medal in the pool in Paris. Even if he doesn’t medal, it would be amazing to see an Irish athlete who can mix it with the best and give us something to really cheer for.

I am not confident any of our hockey teams will make it. The men aren’t really competitive enough with the top teams these days and the women have proved to be very beatable in recent years.

I think we will have both rugby sevens teams at the Olympics however and hopefully they can put in a good showing there.

I think we will qualify in fewer sports this time and fewer athletes (maybe around 90-100) but rugby sevens and athletics might help boost our numbers even if we lose out in other areas like hockey, judo, pentathlon, possibly cycling (though we could go up in that sport too if we have a good couple of years).

I think we’ll win 4-5 medals which if I’m honest would be disappointing after Tokyo and considering we have an established aim to ramp up our medals  in the coming cycles.

I think though if we can win 2 golds again it will be another big boost to morale and if we do finish with 4-5 medals but with 2 golds, it wouldn’t be considered a total disaster.

I am kind of pinning all my hopes on rowing. And I don’t mean that rowing is the only sport we can win medals. But I am hoping we can be in a position going into the Olympics where are expecting a couple of medals and then hoping other sports like boxing can add the icing on the cake.

Ireland Predictions for Paris 2024
Posted

We are just 2 years out from the Paris 2024 Olympics so I thought it would be nice time to open a thread so we can write our hopes for Ireland at the next Games.

How many medals do you think we will win?

Do you think we have made progress in this Olympic cycle in comparison to previous ones?

Which sports are performing better / worse than expected?

Which athletes do you think we are going to be talking about as medal prospects in 2 years time?

What would constitute a good, average or bad Games for Ireland in terms of medals and overall performance?

How many athletes do you think we will qualify?

@dodge @Oldira @Cosmo Kramer @mpjmcevoy  What are your thoughts? Would be fun to look back at this in 2 years time just after the Olympics to see how things change in that time.

Posted (edited)

EQUESTRIAN

073959ib8mfqm4xlae42e0.png

Equestrian FEI World Championships 2022

DEN.gif Herning (DEN) - 6 August 2022 - 14 August 2022 DEN.gif

UCI_TRACK_NCup_Cali_CMYK_Ultra_3.png

The FEI Equestrian World Championships for Dressage and Jumping took place in Herning this week and offered a first chance for nations to book their place for the 2024 Olympic Games. France as hosts in 2024 have an automatic berth for the Olympic Games, so the battle was on for the other nations to finish inside those coveted Olympic quota positions.

First up was dressage where the top 6 nations (excluding France) would secure there tickets for the team dressage event at the Paris 2024 Olympics.

Ireland reached new heights in the last Olympic cycle in dressage, culminating in a team qualifying for the Olympic Games for the very first time. A series of unfortunate injuries and horse retirements, led to the ultimate decision from the Irish federation to decline their team quota on that occasion.

Nevertheless, Ireland are back with a new campaign to qualify for the Olympics. It will be a much more difficult task on this occasion as they do not have the experience of Judy Reynolds and Vancouver K to draw upon on this campaign. However, the good news is that unlike in the previous Olympic cycle, Ireland is actually fielding a dressage team at the World Championships which is an indication that dressage in this country is still in a relatively strong place in comparison to times gone by.

It was always going to be a mammoth task for the Irish team to make it into the Olympic quota positions but they will have gained invaluable experience here and the team of Anna Merveldt (Esporim), Alex Baker (Dutchman), Abigail Lyle (Giraldo) and Sorrell Klatzko (Turbo) put in a valiant effort, finishing in 16th place of the 19 competing nations.

The Olympic quotas were claimed by Denmark, Great Britain, Germany, Sweden, Netherlands and United States.

Screen Shot 2022-08-14 at 19.44.21.png

Ireland will have another shot at qualifying a dressage team at the 2023 European Championships in Riesenbeck, Germany where the top 3 currently unqualified nations will gain tickets to the 2024 Olympic Games. Based on the result of these championships, the competition will come from the following nations:

7. :ESP Spain 215.808%

9. :AUT Austria 212.344%

10. :POR Portugal 210.979%

-----------------------------------

11. :FIN Finland 210.606%

13. :BEL Belgium 209.301%

14. :SUI Switzerland 207.019%

16. :IRL Ireland 201.723%

17. :NOR Norway 201.708%

18. :POL Poland 193.587%

So we can see that getting riders scoring an average of 70% will be essential to make the step up to qualify for the Olympic Games in the team event. At these championships, our team riders were averaging around 67%, so a lot of work to do but the dream is certainly not dead.

Up next were the Team Jumping Championships, a crucial first chance for nations to book their Olympic spots, and an event in which Ireland has not had positive results in the past few Olympic cycles. Gaining an Olympic team quota here would take a huge amount of pressure off our riders for the rest of the qualification cycle and tasked with this goal were Denis Lynch (Brooklyn Heights), Bertram Allen (Pacino Amiro), Cian O'Connor (C Vier 2) and Daniel Coyle (Legacy). The top 5 nations (excluding France) would secure their tickets to the 2024 Olympic Games.

Things didn't look too good after the speed round on Day 1. Ireland were languishing back in 11th position after the speed round and knew they had work to do to make it into the Top 10 nation team final on Friday.

Ireland continued to make hard work of things but did squeeze into the Top 10, a clear round from Cian O'Connor helping the team climb up to 9th and keep the dream of Olympic qualification alive.

The final round proved to be a war of attrition with many nations dropping fences and dropping places in the leaderboard. Meanwhile, Ireland started with a bang with a clear round from Bertram Allen and just a single time fault from Denis Lynch helping the Irish climb the table. A solid round of 5 faults from Cian O'Connor kept the team on track for qualification, and despite a nervy finish after Daniel Coyle failed to improve on the team score, qualification was ultimately secured and in the end, Ireland finished less than 1 fault behind the bronze medal. A 4th place finish from Ireland, securing Olympic qualification in Team Jumping and taking Ireland's first Olympic 2024 quotas across all sports.

Fantastic result for our team jumpers and as with all Irish jumping teams, they will head to Paris 2024 with ambitions of taking home a medal. It of course means Ireland will also have the full quota of riders in the Individual Jumping event at the Olympics as the 3 team riders will also take part in the Individual competition.

Screen Shot 2022-08-14 at 20.18.44.png

Paris 2024 Qualification - Team Ireland

IRELAND

Ireland-Flag-icon.png

Total Athletes

Men

Women

Total Events

Total Sports

List of Team Ireland Qualifiers

074004qzeiewtibzm4nmtt.png

Equestrian