website statistics

Wrestling UWW Individual World Cup 2020

Totallympics

Entry list for the "individual world cup", of course it's not guaranteed if all of these guys show up.

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/article/individual-world-cup-entries

much more than what I was expecting. actually they could make it a World Championship. pity. obviously we would have more wrestlers if they didn't change the competition title. for example Iran is only sending a 4-man team just to satisfy UWW. they wanted to send a full team if it was a World Champs, we even had our trials in middle of the pandemic. 3 of these 4 wrestlers are our possible candidates for the Asian Olympic qualifier.

from big wrestling nations, :JPN:USA:CUB:GEO:KAZ:CHN:KOR:MGL are absent, :TUR is sending a reserve team, :IRI:UZB as well as :CAN are sending limited number of wrestlers.

from what I see the most interesting weight is 97kg Greco with both Aleksanyan and Evloev in the list plus some other good guys.

btw I see some more Russian wrestlers for Bulgaria. interesting, Bulgaria itself was a victim of other countries stealing its athletes, but now they are importing instead of exporting! this is kind of disappointing for a historically great wrestling nation. and none of these guys are in the highest level as far as I know.

6 hours ago, MHSN said:

Entry list for the "individual world cup", of course it's not guaranteed if all of these guys show up.

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/article/individual-world-cup-entries

much more than what I was expecting. actually they could make it a World Championship. pity. obviously we would have more wrestlers if they didn't change the competition title. for example Iran is only sending a 4-man team just to satisfy UWW. they wanted to send a full team if it was a World Champs, we even had our trials in middle of the pandemic. 3 of these 4 wrestlers are our possible candidates for the Asian Olympic qualifier.

from big wrestling nations, :JPN:USA:CUB:GEO:KAZ:CHN:KOR:MGL are absent, :TUR is sending a reserve team, :IRI:UZB as well as :CAN are sending limited number of wrestlers.

from what I see the most interesting weight is 97kg Greco with both Aleksanyan and Evloev in the list plus some other good guys.

btw I see some more Russian wrestlers for Bulgaria. interesting, Bulgaria itself was a victim of other countries stealing its athletes, but now they are importing instead of exporting! this is kind of disappointing for a historically great wrestling nation. and none of these guys are in the highest level as far as I know.

I have to tell you...the main Italian pay-tv (Sky Italia) has gone completely crazy...

for the first time ever, they bought the tv rights for a wrestling competition (it will be the second time ever they show some wrestling on their channels, after the Olympic Games 2012, when they were our official broadcaster)...:yikes: :cheer:

I did never expect any Italian TV Network to cover a wrestling tournament not held on our home soil, but in this crazy 2020 even the unthinkable has happened...:yikes: :lol: 

16 hours ago, phelps said:

I have to tell you...the main Italian pay-tv (Sky Italia) has gone completely crazy...

for the first time ever, they bought the tv rights for a wrestling competition (it will be the second time ever they show some wrestling on their channels, after the Olympic Games 2012, when they were our official broadcaster)...:yikes: :cheer:

I did never expect any Italian TV Network to cover a wrestling tournament not held on our home soil, but in this crazy 2020 even the unthinkable has happened...:yikes: :lol: 

this will be probably the first wrestling competition with TV coverage in Italy and without one in Iran :d

has it anything to do with Chamizo's recent results ? or just some random decision because there was nothing else to show at the time :p

I wonder if Chamizo and other guys can improve the popularity of wrestling there. I'm not a big fan of Minguzzi's success in Beijing (for obvious reasons) but I remember Giovanni Schillaci for example. even Vincenzo Maenza. Italy has some history in this sport.

I'm really disappointed we don't have a big team here but still I'm really glad that wrestling is back. :bounce: even limited. we had our own league matches + the trials but international wrestling is always more "fun".

10 hours ago, MHSN said:

this will be probably the first wrestling competition with TV coverage in Italy and without one in Iran :d

has it anything to do with Chamizo's recent results ? or just some random decision because there was nothing else to show at the time :p

I wonder if Chamizo and other guys can improve the popularity of wrestling there. I'm not a big fan of Minguzzi's success in Beijing (for obvious reasons) but I remember Giovanni Schillaci for example. even Vincenzo Maenza. Italy has some history in this sport.

I'm really disappointed we don't have a big team here but still I'm really glad that wrestling is back. :bounce: even limited. we had our own league matches + the trials but international wrestling is always more "fun".

obviously the main reason we got a tv coverage for this event is Frank Chamizo...;)

but we also think it's the new politics of Sky Italia, which was recently (a year ago or so) bought by Comcast/Universal (owner also of the NBC network in the USA)...

in the last few weeks they've started to buy and show a lot of sport events that in the past administration were completely ignored by the owner (the good old Rupert Murdoch, himself) in favour of the usual suspects, Football, football and Formula1 (because of Ferrari, of course) + MotoGP races (because of Valentino Rossi, not even to be said)...

so we still have a lot of those things mentioned above, but now at least we also got back Volleyball Champions League (W + M), men's Waterpolo Champions League, MLB Baseball, Sailing America's Cup, Wrestling World Cup, Judo Grand Slam tournament + World Champs, even the Cinderella of team sports in our Country, Handball (they're going to show Italy's qualification matches to the next European champs for men, semis and final of the running women's Europeans, the men's Champions League Final Four tournament and the entire men's World Champ next month) and something more...

finally, we can say we got back a sport package that's worth the (quite expensive) price they ask for...:d

Brackets are up in all Greco-Roman weights

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/event/individual-world-cup

and guess what, we will have the most interesting match of the competition right in the first round! :facepalm: Evloev vs Aleksanyan

tough draw for both Iranians here but that's OK, this is more like a preparation tournament, so it's actually better to wrestle more top guys.

unlucky draw for Nikoloz Kakhelashvili...

an Ukranian guy in the first round, then Saravi (or Hardeep) and should he somehow makes it through, he would face the survivor of the big clash between Evloev and Aleksanyan (and the loser of this bout would be most likely the opponent in a possible bronze medal bout)...

he couldn't get anything worse (actually, he could have got Evloev or Aleksanyan in the first round, but it would have been too much)...:facepalm:

First matches about to start :cheer: Much better competition, than what i initially expected. Looks like a lot of countries want to have a competitive tournament, after the failed season this year, to see how their preparation for the qualifiers is going. 

Where can I see Evloev vs Aleksanyan? :d 

And around what time should I tune in where for that one?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!