website statistics

Totallympics Open International Song Contest 2020

Delegation location 3 - Ermelo

We travel westwards from Epe, north-west from Apeldoorn and find ourselves in Ermelo. Home of international equestrian events, road cycling sprinter Robbie McEwen's leadout man Aart Vierhouten and all kinds of other people. It's a place known for having several places for people with mental health problems, since 100-150 years ago people thought the peace and calm would help them and this has sort of remained.

Much like in all of the Veluwe, there's rich history to be found here. On the open fields outside of the village, one can for example find the remnants of a two thousand year old Roman camp. Not even the first people to be there, since people from the east - up to the Balkan - already came to this area two thousand years prior. There's almost too much history to mention, but we will mention a field that has been uncovered in 1933: more than 300 Franconian graves were discovered, dated at around the year 600.

Ermelo was the center of the Veluwe's church life long before the year 1000, much to my surprise their Old Church was already mentioned - albeit in a bit smaller form than it is now - back in 1006! One might guess the name Old Church didn't come out of nowhere...Last, but not least, we'll go a bit south into the forests, for the legend of the 'Solse Gat' ('the Hole of Sols'): legend has it a monastery was there in the woods, but the monks didn't behave and it sunk into the earth. Sometimes during the night, nowadays one can still hear the monastery's bells and the Satanic singing of the monks around what is now but a hole in the ground.

Soldaat2_marskamp.jpg

A Roman dude, not a real one, guarding the location where a Roman camp was found

2764cd4e9c16929dfecb2284d39c33bb.jpg

The Old Church and an old car

solse-gat-800x500.jpg

A child getting dangerously close to the Solse Gat, she might have never been heard of again apart from the legendary monk's devilish songs...

Delegations in Ermelo

:CRO Croatia

:GRE Greece

:POR Portugal

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Olives and corn really are at the top of my list. Although bell peppers, which we call paprika, are not good neither. At least when mixed up in some dish with pasta and sauce and other vegetables and meat and such, it's alright since - unlike the dreaded olives and corn - it doesn't entirely take over the taste of every bite.

Well, even though I love corn, I would have let that slide

But now you're attacking bell peppers? How could you... (we also call them paprika and just put the colour in front of the name)

3 minutes ago, Werloc said:

Well, even though I love corn, I would have let that slide

But now you're attacking bell peppers? How could you... (we also call them paprika and just put the colour in front of the name)

Yep, this. Never understood why different colours are even a thing there, the damn things all taste the same anyway.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, Vojthas said:

The loss of taste is a symptome of COVID... I'm quite worried about @heywoodu now. And I don't want my first official TISC to be cancelled because of paprika.

No worries, I can taste paprika. That's the problem.

1 hour ago, hckosice said:

How can a sweet paprika taste the same as spicy or hot paprika ? :d

Maybe Slovak paprikas are different, but yellow, green and red paprikas here really don't differentiate much in terms of being sweet, spicy or hot.

7 hours ago, heywoodu said:

A total of 10 nations are now listed as having completed their votes, three of the six multi-member juries have at least one member who has voted as well and so are officially in. Five more today and we're halfway :) 

It would be good if you would somehow noted in OP which nations already voted ;)