website statistics

Totallympics Open International Song Contest 2020

Delegation location 5 - Harderwijk

From Elburg we go westwards for around 20 kilometers, much like traders did centuries ago we're travelling to another Hanseatic League city: Harderwijk. In fact, after receiving 'city rights' from the local ruler in 1231, Harderwijk officially became the Veluwe's very first city. In this 13th century, Harderwijk already made brick buildings and developed into a trader's city, with their ships being spotted in Flanders, Germany and England, often carrying wool, herbs, herring and wood.

In 1316, the Danish king Eric VI gave Harderwijk's citizens sort of a trading colony in Skanör-Falsterbo in Sweden, go figure how big of a deal this city was in the Hanseatic League! In 1648, Harderwijk became the fifth Dutch city with a university, which existed until 1811 - nowadays 'he must have studied at the University of Harderwijk' oddly means that someone has a questionable scientific reputation.

The Harderwijk University, some buildings of which still exist, had some big names though. Jacob Roggeveen, the guy who 'discovered' Easter Island from a European point of view and professor David de Gorter, who went to Russia in 1754 and became the personal doctor of Elisabeth Petrovna, daughter of Peter the Great. The biggest name by far though is Carl Linnaeus of Sweden, the father of modern taxonomy and an absolute scientific legend.

Anyhow, Harderwijk - they have a Vischpoort ('Fish Gate') too, much like Elburg. It's not big, but well worth a walk through the old city center. Also, the French tried to burn the whole thing when they left after their occupation, but quick reactions meant only a school and about thirty homes were lost. There's also the Dolfinarium, which some might find controversial and others find useful in teaching children an interest in living beings.

56231961.jpg

A street in Harderwijk, with in the back the Linnaeus Tower of 1570 - obviously it was named after the famous scientist only later, Harderwijk has no crystal ball

f80ff66a23a5680a927149438b0b6c3afa67e4be

Harderwijk's Vischpoort, with a little lighthouse on top of it...added in the 19th century, but since the sea was blocked off in the 20th century it's rarely turned on anymore

palingrokerij-rijpelaal-1.jpg

Eels being dried, with Harderwijk being a fishing town more than anything, you'll easily find a place to sit down for an eel or a raw herring

Delegations in Harderwijk

:BRA Brazil

:IND India

:MDA Moldova

:TUN Tunisia

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

22 minutes ago, rybak said:

Moldova and Portugal have voted, I just didn't have the time to update that yet :p 

Several others have answered saying they're expecting to vote in time.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, Bohemia said:

I'm on my third listen and struggling to eliminate songs... I have 18 right now, help :lol:

Similar circumstances for me. I managed to eliminate 7 songs and rank my provisional top 5 after my second listen, but there’s about a 20 song tie for the rest of my points and reserves right now.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela