website statistics

Swimming Qualification for Summer Olympic Games 2016

MantaRaymarc

11 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

The thing with the australians is that they have their nationals so far from the Olympics, that when august comes it pegs the question will they be in peak form? Because the US will surely be.

The main reason why the top nations have their trials over the next month is to give their athletes time to peak at both the trials and Olympics. For the US it is quite hard for them to do this which is why the top swimmers are rarely at their peak during their trials (or they peak at the trials and aren't as good at the Olympics.

Therefore I'm really glad we don't have this "trials" system, forcing athletes to have two major peaks. McEvoy for now is the favorite for the men's 100m I guess, but first I'd like to see him get under 47.50 again at the Olympics. I don't think he'll break his time of this week there. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I am absolutely not surprised about those sick times in Australia, everyone knew that it would happen after they hired the dutch coach.

Considering the recent doping case of Kylie Palmer, no one can trust australian swimmers. Swimming is at least as dirty as athletics and cycling.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

23 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Therefore I'm really glad we don't have this "trials" system, forcing athletes to have two major peaks. McEvoy for now is the favorite for the men's 100m I guess, but first I'd like to see him get under 47.50 again at the Olympics. I don't think he'll break his time of this week there. 

Netherlands does have a few events used as qualifiers (2015 World Championships, 2015 Amsterdam Swim Cup, 2016 Eindhoven Swim Cup and 2016 European Championships.

I think trials are necessary for large nations in order to make things fair. What do you do if three or more athletes made the standard?

I think Canada could potentially win 5 medals.

Mens 400/1500 free: No chance

Mens open water: Very small chance

Mens 100 free: McEvoy, 1 or 2 french guys, Chalmers, Zetao, Adrian

Womens 100 free: Sjöstrom, 2 x Campbell, Kromowidjojo

Womens 400/800 free: Ashwood, Carlin, Ledecky and Van Rouwendaal are all better than McLean

Womens 100 back: Nielsen, Seebohm and Wilson are the clear favorites, maybe Franklin can challenge for a medal

Womens 200 back: Seebohm, Hosszu, Franklin and probably the second australian girl

Womens 200 breast: Maybe a small chance, but 2 japanese girls + Solnceva + Pedersen + 1 or 2 american girls should win the medals

Womens 100 fly: I bet on Sjöstrom, Ottesen and either the chinese girl or one of the australian/american girls

Womens 200 IM: Hosszu, SMOC and one of the american girls

Womens 400 IM: Hosszu, 2 british girls, 1 or 2 american girls, Belmonte

Womens 4 x 100 free: Australia, USA, China and Netherlands

Womens 4 x 100 medley relay: USA, Australia and China

I think Canada's best chances are mens 100 free, womens 100 back, womens 100 fly, womens 400 IM and womens medley relay. 5 medals would be an amazing result for Canada, but i dont see any gold medal:

Condorelli (bronze), Oleksiak (silver or bronze), Masse (bronze), Overholt (silver or bronze) and womens medley relay (bronze).

It should be pretty hard for all canadian athletes to repeat their times in Rio. Countries like USA, China or GB often overperform at olympic games, so i wouldnt be surprised if those nations clearly raise their level in Rio.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

2 hours ago, OlympicsFan said:

I think Canada could potentially win 5 medals.

Mens 400/1500 free: No chance

Ryan Cochrane won medals in those events at last year's world championship. Even though his times from the trials may not sound like a winning times, he is known to perform at key events. He is certainly a contender for medals in both events and clearly does have a chance. 

Absolutely, Cochrane obviously isn't the favorite in any event, but clearly he has a realistic chance to win at least one medal :)

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, james89 said:

Ryan Cochrane won medals in those events at last year's world championship. Even though his times from the trials may not sound like a winning times, he is known to perform at key events. He is certainly a contender for medals in both events and clearly does have a chance. 

And thats CLEARLY only your opinion and not a fact. Cochrane wont win a medal unless the following happens:

400 free: Yang, Guy or Horton drown/get caught before Rio

1500 free: Yang, Horton, Paltrinieri, Detti, Jaeger drown/get caught before Rio

It would be an amazing result for Cochrane to reach the final in both events. I believe in the old man, he can do it!

Edited by OlympicsFan