website statistics

Biathlon 2020 - 2021 Discussion Thread

Wumo

The IBU could off-set their carbon emissions from their vehicle and plane usage. I’m not too familiar with specifics involved in that process, but maybe that’s an option.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

6 hours ago, heywoodu said:

I truly wonder how they're planning to do this.

- World Cups in Central Europe only are just not very realistic, even if most are there (and then we're not even talking about the IBU Cup and Junior Cup and their respective championships).

So one thing that this will cause, in my opinion is saturation in that area, and a strong decline outside of that area.  

The US has announced a 12 person roster for an on the snow camp in Austria that will start in early November.

Women's Team

Susan Dunklee (Barton, Vt.)

Clare Egan (Cape Elizabeth, Maine)

Joanne Reid (Grand Junction, Colo.)

Deedra Irwin (Pulaski, Wis.)

Chloe Levins (Rutland, Vt.)

Maddie Phaneuf (Old Forge, N.Y.)

Men's Team

Leif Nordgren (Hinesburg, Vt.)

Sean Doherty (Center Conway, N.H.)

Paul Schommer (Appleton, Wis.)

Jake Brown (Saint Paul, Minn.)

Max Durtschi (Ketchum, Idaho)

Vaclev Cervenka (Grand Rapids, Minn.) 

It is nice to see Phanuf back in the group.  She has had a very public fight with mental illness due in part to getting sick at the 2018 Olympics and not being able to race.  It will be interesting to see who gets the 4th spot for the women's team for the relay.  Do they go with Levins who is the projected future, or with Irwin or Phaneuf?

The Men's team have two solid biathletes, then it is wide open.  

CAS appeal for Ustyugov and Sleptsova is delayed due to COVID.

This is possible the most cringe-worthy biathlon thing I have ever heard.  I guess they think they are funny.  It is dated, but a representation of what fans of biathlon face in the US and Canada.

While this is a really good interview with an 50ish biathlete in the US about starting the sport, and all of the positives.  What a difference in the two.

9 minutes ago, RobtheAggie said:

CAS appeal for Ustyugov and Sleptsova is delayed due to COVID.

This is possible the most cringe-worthy biathlon thing I have ever heard.  I guess they think they are funny.  It is dated, but a representation of what fans of biathlon face in the US and Canada.

While this is a really good interview with an 50ish biathlete in the US about starting the sport, and all of the positives.  What a difference in the two.

I'll have time to listen tonight, but I can almost guarantee I've heard more cringe-worthy things in a few years of following the Brazilian 'team' :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

12 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I'll have time to listen tonight, but I can almost guarantee I've heard more cringe-worthy things in a few years of following the Brazilian 'team' :d 

The first one is only 3 min long, but it is painful.  It is from the 2012 Winter Olympics, and they really think that they are funny.

The Canmore area expects a 20% increase in nordic skiing and biathlon participation this winter.  I have heard similar things from other areas here in the US.  Nordic skiing feels safer than many other activities in a COVID world.  It will be interesting to see if this becomes a world wide trend, or a localized one.

8 minutes ago, RobtheAggie said:

The Canmore area expects a 20% increase in nordic skiing and biathlon participation this winter.  I have heard similar things from other areas here in the US.  Nordic skiing feels safer than many other activities in a COVID world.  It will be interesting to see if this becomes a world wide trend, or a localized one.

many people maight think the same...

yesterday in Cervinia was the season opener of the ski areas...and this is what happened...:yikes: :facepalm: :wall:

https://video.repubblica.it/edizione/torino/cervinia-gli-sciatori-ammassati-nella-funivia-nel-primo-giorno-di-apertura-degli-impianti/369751/370334?ref=RHTP-BH-I271771718-P3-S6-L&refresh_ce

most likely, those areas will be closed with the next covid-19 protocol, to be signed soon by our PM...

9 hours ago, phelps said:

many people maight think the same...

yesterday in Cervinia was the season opener of the ski areas...and this is what happened...:yikes: :facepalm: :wall:

https://video.repubblica.it/edizione/torino/cervinia-gli-sciatori-ammassati-nella-funivia-nel-primo-giorno-di-apertura-degli-impianti/369751/370334?ref=RHTP-BH-I271771718-P3-S6-L&refresh_ce

most likely, those areas will be closed with the next covid-19 protocol, to be signed soon by our PM...

That is a lot of people in a very small space.  It is expected to be all alpine resorts or will the regular chairlifts be open.  We could see a substantial surge of people involved in Nordic Skiing.