website statistics

Commonwealth Games 2022

Totallympics

On 5/27/2022 at 5:25 PM, OlympicIRL said:

He is Northern Irish and Irish. Of course he should be allowed to compete. People from Northern Ireland have the right to choose their nationality, it’s not for gymnastics to decide. It’s ignorance on their part to assume he has to be Northern Irish and British.

It's complicated though isn't it. Rugby and hockey are run on an all-Ireland basis but players from Northern Ireland are not permitted to compete for Great Britain even if they consider themselves Northern Irish and British unless they switch to competing from Ireland to England, Scotland or Wales as 4-5 players have had to do in recent years.

On 5/26/2022 at 3:45 PM, nitinsanker said:

commonwealth Games is becoming such a farce 

what is the purpose of any multigame event ......  I believe it is to foster sports , participation and interest in all the countries which form the nations which are part of the nations involved .... There are 70 odd participants to the games ( but look closely and you will find there are only53 countries in the commonwealth so all the rest are overseas territories  or Ok adding isle of man and jersey as seperate team )

so  lets look at the 53 countries 

an africa group which includes kenya , uganda , whose primary interest would be athletics 

a carribean group like jamaica, bahamas etc whose primary interest would be athletics 

so possibly 15 -20 odd countries who would have a wider interest in a multigames program which would be divided into 

the core dominion countries - UK , Australia , canada and NZ 

Large african countries - Nigeria , SA 

South asian cluster  - India, Pakistan , bangladesh srilanka 

SEA cluster  - singapore , malaysia 

now let us look at the sports they have increased medals in or cut in the last 20  years  ( last 5 games ) 

They  have cut shooting 40 to 0 where india dominated , but also the sole medal winner for bangladesh 

They have cut wrestling from 14 to 0  where it was a sport where india dominated and nigeria did well and so did pakistan ( this took a lot of effort as they had to change the whole framework as 

they have reduced the weightlifting medals from 45 to 15  a sport where india dominates but the smaller oceanic countries like soma, fiji , etc did well in, also pakistan and srilanka get a majority of their medals . I am seeing this as the next target as this is a sport the dominion do badly at and other countries somoa , india and nigeria do well at  

so cut  a 100 medals here 

what sports have they increased or added 

aquatics gone up from 48 to an incredible 66 ...... this event is almost wholly dominated by the dominion 4 and SA 

cycling gone up from 15 to 26 ...... the event is almost wholely dominated by the dominion 4 

lawn bowls gone up from 6 to 11 again a sport dominated by the dominion 4 

gymnastics gone up from 15 to 20 odd adding rhythmic gymnastics again a sport dominated by the dominion 4 + cyprus 

judo has been added by UK and dropped by Aus every time a desperate ping pong in sport of 14 medals again dominated by UK \

Para atheletics around 10-12 events carefully selected to reflect the dominion 4 only 11 /12 medals only by them 

triatholon and squash with 10 or so medals have been added which are events where all the gold medals are won by the dominion 4 

so added a 80 odd  medals here 

so if you add the athletics program of 60 or so , , almost 200 medals out of 270 or so ( 75% comes in just 6 sports .with the new changes l ) ...... 5 out of these 6 sports almost exclusively the dominion of the 5 dominion countries .........and you cut a 100 medals in sports like weightlifting , wrestling and shooting where  non dominion countries did well in and completely dropped shooting and wrestling pretty much mainstay programs 

if india protests it is a fair protest  ....... this is turning into a dominion games.... of interest of only the 4 dominion countries and possibly SA ........ so go ahead you are killing interest in the CWG  in all countries except the 4 dominion countries and SA ............ anyway  commonwealth para games , commonwealth youth games , cCWG winter games are already killed  .......very soon the main CWG will die or you convert them  into a quadrilateral games and drop the multigames tag 

As has been mentioned by others many of your facts are wrong.

Your assumption that athletics is the only interest of African and Caribbean nations for example when team sports like cricket, netball and rugby sevens are also played in many of these countries. Indeed you decry lawn bowls even though it is played in the southern and eastern African countries as well as the small Pacific nations. It was noticeable that when India hosted the Games it promoted its own intetests by including sports like archery and tennis which have little following in Africa, the Caribbean or the Pacific. Not a good example to set.

Again as others have said wrestling has not been removed and 14 titles will be at stake in Birmingham. The number of weightlifting medals has been reduced to bring it into line with other multi-sport events but there will still be more medals available than at the Olympics, say. Shooting should be in the Games but it is an optional sport and Birmingham were perfectly entitled to exclude it just as other hosts like Delhi have been to choose the sports programme for their Games in the past. In any event, Indian "domination" of the sport at the CWG is a myth as British shooters have won more medals than India at each of the last six Games, albeit the home countries compete separately.

While I can accept an argument that the inclusion of triathlon is orientated towards the five dominion countries and bits, I think the inclusion of judo is a positive thing. It is one of the Olympic sports in which medals are most widely distributed and is a relatively cheap investment if you are seeking to develop a programme. The CWG is an opportunity for countries to improve their performances in the sport.

Overall the programme does lean towards the five dominion countries but that in part reflects the fact that they are largely the ones who host and invest money in the Games. They want a programme of sports that will attract spectators and viewers which I guess is one of the aims of any sporting event. When other countries like Malaysia and India have hosted the event they have not chosen to vary the programme hugely although they have had the opportunity to do so. 

2 hours ago, Nickyc707 said:

It's complicated though isn't it. Rugby and hockey are run on an all-Ireland basis but players from Northern Ireland are not permitted to compete for Great Britain even if they consider themselves Northern Irish and British unless they switch to competing from Ireland to England, Scotland or Wales as 4-5 players have had to do in recent years.

As far as I know, there are no Northern Ireland Rugby/Hockey teams so the situation is a bit different than the other sports.

Also technically a Northern Irish player doesn't need to switch to England/Scotland/Wales to be eligible for Great Britain, they just can't represent Ireland. Of course, this severely hampers that player's international experience since Great Britain only competes in Rugby/Hockey at the Olympics (or friendlies/smaller tournaments) so I doubt anyone would choose this route other than to stir controversy or they have no intention in competing internationally.

2 hours ago, Nickyc707 said:

As has been mentioned by others many of your facts are wrong.

Your assumption that athletics is the only interest of African and Caribbean nations for example when team sports like cricket, netball and rugby sevens are also played in many of these countries. Indeed you decry lawn bowls even though it is played in the southern and eastern African countries as well as the small Pacific nations. It was noticeable that when India hosted the Games it promoted its own intetests by including sports like archery and tennis which have little following in Africa, the Caribbean or the Pacific. Not a good example to set.

Again as others have said wrestling has not been removed and 14 titles will be at stake in Birmingham. The number of weightlifting medals has been reduced to bring it into line with other multi-sport events but there will still be more medals available than at the Olympics, say. Shooting should be in the Games but it is an optional sport and Birmingham were perfectly entitled to exclude it just as other hosts like Delhi have been to choose the sports programme for their Games in the past. In any event, Indian "domination" of the sport at the CWG is a myth as British shooters have won more medals than India at each of the last six Games, albeit the home countries compete separately.

While I can accept an argument that the inclusion of triathlon is orientated towards the five dominion countries and bits, I think the inclusion of judo is a positive thing. It is one of the Olympic sports in which medals are most widely distributed and is a relatively cheap investment if you are seeking to develop a programme. The CWG is an opportunity for countries to improve their performances in the sport.

Overall the programme does lean towards the five dominion countries but that in part reflects the fact that they are largely the ones who host and invest money in the Games. They want a programme of sports that will attract spectators and viewers which I guess is one of the aims of any sporting event. When other countries like Malaysia and India have hosted the event they have not chosen to vary the programme hugely although they have had the opportunity to do so. 

My perspective ..... For example you say india was a bad host .... But India did not drop any sports which were being normally played at CWG ..... I do not have any problem if a country adds a sport ( especially an Olympic one which their fans have an interest in ) my problem is when a country drops one of the usual sports which were reasonably popular among other countries .... Like shooting ...  

Wrestling of course i know that it is there in Birmingham but it has not been announced in 2026 along with shooting again ? .... The view in India is of irritation that sports which are of high interest to India and of high medal scoring capacity are being dropped ..... If the games are held in India and swimming for instance was to be dropped love to see what the mood will be some of the dominion countries ....

Dropping sports like wrestling or shooting which were of reasonable standard and fairly broadly competitive and adding sports like rhythmic gymnastics , judo, triathalon ... Is not a great way to run  a multi games event ...

And continue to build interest and support in a variety of countries ...

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

18 hours ago, nitinsanker said:

My perspective ..... For example you say india was a bad host .... But India did not drop any sports which were being normally played at CWG ..... I do not have any problem if a country adds a sport ( especially an Olympic one which their fans have an interest in ) my problem is when a country drops one of the usual sports which were reasonably popular among other countries .... Like shooting ...  

Wrestling of course i know that it is there in Birmingham but it has not been announced in 2026 along with shooting again ? .... The view in India is of irritation that sports which are of high interest to India and of high medal scoring capacity are being dropped ..... If the games are held in India and swimming for instance was to be dropped love to see what the mood will be some of the dominion countries ....

Dropping sports like wrestling or shooting which were of reasonable standard and fairly broadly competitive and adding sports like rhythmic gymnastics , judo, triathalon ... Is not a great way to run  a multi games event ...

And continue to build interest and support in a variety of countries ...

The problem with dropping swimming is its one of two core sports. It simply cannot be dropped along with athletics. All other sports are optional. Judo on the other hand add the third highest number of participating countries in Tokyo. It's a universal sport. 

______

Pakistan dropped its badminton team: https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1125498/paskistan-sports-board-badminton-b22

Highly unlikely they are replaced. I guess they didn't want to lose to India jk :p

3 hours ago, intoronto said:

Pakistan dropped its badminton team: https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1125498/paskistan-sports-board-badminton-b22

Highly unlikely they are replaced. I guess they didn't want to lose to India jk :p

Strictly speaking the list in that article refers to sports the Pakistan Sports Board (in effect the national government) have chosen to fund, with badminton having been promised funding until the last minute. The badminton team can still participate if they acquire funding from elsewhere, but I accept that's not likely.

[N.B. Cricket is not listed either, but I presume their funding comes from the Pakistan Cricket Board]