website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Coronavirus Pandemic

hckošice

2 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Inadmissable evidence can bail out anyone though. Being 1000000% sure is not enough :coffee: More people have gotten away with crimes based on a technicality than actually being innocent ;)

Sure, but a death penalty can't exactly be reversed once carried out, no matter how much evidence pops up that someone was actually innocent.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Sure, but a death penalty can't exactly be reversed once carried out, no matter how much evidence pops up that someone was actually innocent.

In the days of DNA testing you don't need much other evidence, do you? Ted Bundy was put away based on dental records, I don't see much hoopla around him being innocent unless of course you ignore the fact he's the celebrity serial killer #1.

6 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

The problem with death penalties is that you need to be absolutely, 1000000% sure someone actually did it, and there are quite a few people convicted who in the end didn't actually do it (or where the full story was different in some sort). Being that sure is basically only really possible if it's on camera or something..

off course, no doubt about that, but I think nowadays we don't need a Poirot to solve most of the cases.

I 100% support death penalty for rapists and for those who kill people in cold blood. of course doing something stupid in the heat of the moment is another story. the biggest issue with the judiciary system here is they leave it to the victim's family !!! :facepalm: which usually put them in uncomfortable situation to make that big decision.

we had a famous case couple years ago, two guys stole a car with a 8 months baby in it, they found the car unworthy and left it somewhere remote without calling anybody to come collect the baby. that poor baby's body was found 5 days later. that was a big question at the time if it was a first degree murder and should be punished by death penalty or not. that was VERY cruel but then it wasn't 100% intentional to kill the baby. they just didn't care. even though per rules here putting someone in need (like a baby) in situation like that is equal to killing, after all the one of the guys received death penalty.

11 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

You're quite clearly patronising an Asian country - oh, by the way the most populous Muslim country in the world IIRC. That's a bad example. Everyone knows Americans think their way is the best way all the time. You didn't find an answer to why thieves steal in your "research"? I know the answer but I use common sense but I'm happy to learn what "research & science" tell us on the matter? Care to elaborate? :bye:

Yea, I’m probably am, but it’s a little deserved honestly. My way is not the American way. I can guarantee you that. It’s way too highbrow for my country. 

The reasons for crime are well known and well researched, and I will present you with links to various studies:

http://www.mlam.in/pdf/currentissue/2.Dr.Nair_Original ARTICLE_Social Psyche_CHENNAI.pdf
https://www.theguardian.com/global-development-professionals-network/2015/jun/30/24-ways-to-reduce-in-the-worlds-most-violent-cities

Criminology and Public Policy

https://discovery.ucl.ac.uk/id/eprint/10030141/1/Bowers_Weisburd et al. Research Paper edited2 (1)dw_swdw.pdf

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

23 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Not yet at least :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

19 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

In the days of DNA testing you don't need much other evidence, do you? Ted Bundy was put away based on dental records, I don't see much hoopla around him being innocent unless of course you ignore the fact he's the celebrity serial killer #1.

There have been numerous cases where people put to death based on DNA evidence have later been proved innocent.

13 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

This is not a problem here, because there are few people, that go to jail. :d Killing someone while drunk driving, a couple of years probation and a fine and have a nice day, you can go.... 

Is sad to see that Argentina is not the onlyone.....

@up and down is going to be so confused when reading through this thread today :lol:

I’m just going to say this about the death penalty.

A) You’re teaching murder is wrong by using murder as a punishment. That’s some highly flawed logic. We don’t punish fraud with fraud. We don’t punish rape with rape. With don’t punish drug use with drug use.

B) It costs an insane amount to kill someone (at least in the US).

C) You let the murder take the easy way out instead of forcing them to think about and remember their action for years, essentially destroying their life the way they destroyed someone else’s.

D) Like @heywoodu pointed out, there is a huge issue with innocent people being put to death.