website statistics

Athletics Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

OlympicIRL

6 hours ago, Makedonas said:

Obviously I'm thrilled for Vasiliou, especially since she made a long post yesterday on Instagram about not qualifying and how much she was crying and also originally she said she would retire after Tokyo (pre-covid days).

However, I'm really surprised about the Namibians! Does anyone have more information about them? I'm surprised this hasn't really been discussed much.

If this is true, if they have dropped the 400, for which one of them was a cast iron gold medal favourite, it pretty much confirms the growing suspicions that we have another two intersex athletes on our hands. The 400 is one of the athletes covered by the Semenya rule. Tellingly, 200m is not.

6 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Right, but Mboma ran a 400m just a few days ago, and set her best time. If she was a DSD athlete, she would have already had to have lowered her testosterone level to compete at that meet, and thus that wouldn’t be a problem for the Olympics.

The only thing I can think of is this is the Namibian federation trying to kept an ace(s) up their sleeve for down the line, but even that doesn’t make much sense. This could perhaps also be her coach’s decision. Sometimes coach’s have a set plan for developing their athletes, and so they’ll reject participation in bigger events from time to time in order to follow that plan for success. 

More likely, given their youth, I suspect, is simply that the coach ran them in the 400m when he probably should not have.

3 minutes ago, Oldira said:

If news from :USA tonight. Shacarrie Richardson fails drug test at US trials. 

It's only on Jamaican media so far, not yet being reported in the USA.  However, its said on Twitter by @OlympicStatman that the Jamaican breaking the story has impeccable credentials. 

32 minutes ago, Triplecast said:

It's only on Jamaican media so far, not yet being reported in the USA.  However, its said on Twitter by @OlympicStatman that the Jamaican breaking the story has impeccable credentials. 

He does, and Sha' mysterious tweeted "I am human" about 6 hrs ago, which gives a lot of credence to this, If she has smoked weed the week of trials, she's a fool.

Ban may be very short or even non-existent; the problem will be the invalidation of her trials results. If she is gone, seems likely to be a straight battle between Shelly Anne and Dina in the 100.

Also tonight, namibian prodigy Mboma withdrawn from the 400 but not 200, strongly suggesting rumours of another Semenya situation are in fact true.

Hell of a night for Athletics fans

12 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

He does, and Sha' mysterious tweeted "I am human" about 6 hrs ago, which gives a lot of credence to this, If she has smoked weed the week of trials, she's a fool.

Ban may be very short or even non-existent; the problem will be the invalidation of her trials results. If she is gone, seems likely to be a straight battle between Shelly Anne and Dina in the 100.

Yes, incredibly stupid.  She's young though, but she'll learn a painful lesson.     

2 hours ago, Khadidja Aisha said:

I hope she fails the test, and disqualified all the american team, exept 5, so they are eual to the Russians.

How can you equate the possible actions of a foolish individual with state sponsored industrial scale cheating?

1 hour ago, Nickyc707 said:

How can you equate the possible actions of a foolish individual with state sponsored industrial scale cheating?

Respect to her.   Running so fast while high?? Daaaamn.    It's not steroids, really stupid that it's still a rule