website statistics

Athletics Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

OlympicIRL

8 hours ago, dcro said:

But now Armenia can enter an universality woman, as they did today in the 100 m. :p

Yeah, ironically they entered a Greek woman with distant Armenian ancestry (she just started competing for Armenia last week) who is a triple jumper and never ran 100m in her career until last weekend :lol:

34 minutes ago, intoronto said:

https://worldathletics.org/competitions/olympic-games/news/olympic-qualification-period-ends-track-field-athletics-tokyo

190 countries. I wonder which 15 are missing. I guess this means no Mauritania

They do say more than 190 :p

4 minutes ago, Benolympique said:

the small nations, before had 1 man and 1 woman, now it is reduced to 1 quota! It is shameful

Like I said, nobody in the IOC actually cares about gender equality (especially when it concerns developing nations where the equality is very limited).

They just want to make themselves look good.

#banbestmen

1 hour ago, maestro said:

Seems the Namimbians are out from the 400m.

image.png

Vasiliou now has 48th place, which is the last giving an olympic spot.

Obviously I'm thrilled for Vasiliou, especially since she made a long post yesterday on Instagram about not qualifying and how much she was crying and also originally she said she would retire after Tokyo (pre-covid days).

However, I'm really surprised about the Namibians! Does anyone have more information about them? I'm surprised this hasn't really been discussed much.

11 minutes ago, Makedonas said:

Obviously I'm thrilled for Vasiliou, especially since she made a long post yesterday on Instagram about not qualifying and how much she was crying and also originally she said she would retire after Tokyo (pre-covid days).

However, I'm really surprised about the Namibians! Does anyone have more information about them? I'm surprised this hasn't really been discussed much.

Well... Mboma and Masilingi are still in the list for 200m. However, their time there, 22.67, for both ranks them out of the top20, not as high as in 400m. With their improvement rate, they could still contend for the final, if they race, but they are not as good as in the 400.

At the moment, Miller-Uibo is still in for 400m and I wonder, if she will reconsider, and choose the 400 over 200.

6 minutes ago, maestro said:

Well... Mboma and Masilingi are still in the list for 200m. However, their time there, 22.67, for both ranks them out of the top20, not as high as in 400m. With their improvement rate, they could still contend for the final, if they race, but they are not as good as in the 400.

That's the thing, why would they choose 200m over 400m? It makes zero sense.