website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

12 minutes ago, konig said:

Acording Global Times, China is under the "coup of state" in Myanmar, with your post i understand more that supposition.

To my great surprise, foreigners read news from Global Times. Isn't it supposed to be "propaganda machine" even I don't read it. I followed editor in chief's personal account though.

5 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

He’s going to jail Trump for five, just to show Putin who’s boss.

Although Biden doesn't have the power to jail Trump, obviously (neither does Putin with Navalny, officially, but I do think we can all agree the system in Russia is most likely a whole lot more dictated by the dictator's whims).

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

20 hours ago, Vic Liu said:

Myanmar is of China’s interests, there are some major China-led infrastructure projects under construction there, especially the gas pipeline linked China and Indian Ocean. If US put some sanctions on Myanmar, it will only push it even firmly on China’s side. Actually it already happened when the West together condemning the so-called Rohinga genocide. 

USA has a history of such actions, like when they sided with France and pushed Ho Chi Minh straight into China & USSR's arms. That proved to be a total disaster :p

Meanwhile the Oval Office has bigger problems than Myanmar. Kamala Harris is under fire for wearing Dolce & Gabbana clothes. Ah, the wealthy people's problems! :roflmao:

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2021/feb/02/kamala-harris-criticized-wearing-controversial-label-dolce-gabbana

46 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

USA has a history of such actions, like when they sided with France and pushed Ho Chi Minh straight into China & USSR's arms. That proved to be a total disaster :p

Sorry to see you falling for that Popular Front propaganda crap.  Ho was Stalin’s man all the way through.  Nobody in the Comintern who lived in Moscow in the 1930s survived without being 150% a Stalin loyalist.

20 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Sorry to see you falling for that Popular Front propaganda crap.  Ho was Stalin’s man all the way through.  Nobody in the Comintern who lived in Moscow in the 1930s survived without being 150% a Stalin loyalist.

I suppose this is the Western democracies excuse for failing to support Chang Kai-shek to begin with? Because that was even a bigger error than what later happened in Vietnam.

Actually you're wrong on the Stalin loyalists, his most ardent supporters were actually the first to go. Stalin was always afraid of his peers to become too powerful and that's why he had them killed. Only people with zero personal ambitions or outright stupid survived the purge (Kalinin, Mikoyan, Budionny who has been widely considered as the least adept of the original Soviet Marshals).

1 minute ago, Monzanator said:

I suppose this is the Western democracies excuse for failing to support Chang Kai-shek to begin with? Because that was even a bigger error than what later happened in Vietnam.

Actually you're wrong on the Stalin loyalists, his most ardent supporters were actually the first to go. Stalin was always afraid of his peers to become too powerful and that's why he had them killed. Only people with zero personal ambitions or outright stupid survived the purge (Kalinin, Mikoyan, Budionny who has been widely considered as the least adept of the original Soviet Marshals).

I was talking about the Comintern Parties, not the Bolsheviks.  All the Communist Parties living in exile in Moscow - of which the Vietnamese was one - were ruthlessly purged of anyone who might show the faintest glimmer of independence.

But I agree about Chiang Kai-Shek.  His problem was that practically all the journalists writing about China in the 20s & 30s were pro-Communist, so very few people in the West got an accurate picture.