website statistics

Will the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled?

Will the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled?

• Yes, the Olympic Games will be cancelled
    • No, the Olympic Games will be held

Japanese PM’s have an history of having to resign after the public turn against them. Abe was an exception from the norm but Suga will know that if the public are still opposed at the end of July and the games makes the Covid situation worse for the locals he will take the brunt of the blame.

I just don’t know why not Japanese promote mass vaccination like Israel, USA or even China as they know they will open the border very soon. As Chinese living in Beijing, I know that we will open the border for Beijing 2022 so government promote the vaccination in Beijing much harder than other places. You just can’t sit and wait the virus disappear itself any more.

It's not as if though Japan doesn't want to mass vaccinate. It just didn't have the vaccines. Pfizer will now start to supply huge quantities from May. Japan are supposed to get 100M vaccines from Pfizer in May-June. And if there is no vaccine hesitancy, then we may be seeing atleast 50M of the population fully vaccinated. 40% is a good benchmark and will decrease the case count hugely. They say that by September they will have enough vaccines from Pfizer to fully vaccinate the whole country. Not only Pfizer but Astra Zenca and Moderna are conducting trails in Japan and by May 20/24 (I forgot the exact date) decision will be taken on those vaccines too.

6 hours ago, Dunadan said:

Too easy for Osaka...the career of already established tennis, golf, (male) basketball and football players, etc. wouldn't be affected at all by a cancellation. Let's hear the opinion of athletes for whom the Olympics are really a life and career goal and have worked for years to qualify. 

This is what Evan Dunfee said in response to the debate over vaccinating Canadian athletes (with priority). I think it gives some good insight into how many athletes are thinking/feeling right now. (It’s a thread, so you might have to click on it to see the whole thing).

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Elections due in Japan this autumn as well. Would you like to be the Government getting the blame for an event the majority wanted cancelled causing deaths and harm? The main opposition have called for the games to postponed or cancelled. 

OMG can we stop with the planted propaganda polls every damn week! God, how i wish it was august already, so everything can be over and i won't have to bother with the insanely moronic Olympic qualifications, preaching internet nutjobs and the country of Japan acting like a child going through puberty..

38 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

Elections due in Japan this autumn as well. Would you like to be the Government getting the blame for an event the majority wanted cancelled causing deaths and harm? The main opposition have called for the games to postponed or cancelled. 

The Japanese government is doing a terrible job anyway. For such a rich country it's unexcusable that the vaccination rate is still so low. It's not the Olympics that cause death and harm and Japan. It's that the Japanese have barely vaccinated their people.

Maybe they should stop discuss the Olympics and start giving the vaccination to the doctors.