website statistics

Swimming at the Aquatics FINA World Championships 2017

dareza

6 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

You mean in swimming? In gymnastics things are getting quite interesting year after year. I remember Cyprus got three gold medals in 2010 while Canada got none. In 2014 Canada did great, but then Australia was the country which had it really bad, with Scotland and Wales getting gold medals, while Australia got none. 

Swimming particulary, yes. I guess dividing :GBR into 4 teams does has it perks, less likely that some sport will be completely dominated by the same 3 teams.

#banbestmen

24 minutes ago, dcro said:

I never really understood the point of those Commonwealth Games. It's basically 3 powerhouses + 50 wild card nations. :p

Actually its England and Australia who run away with Canada usually a distant third. However its not like those 3 dominate everything. The second tier nations like New Zealand (mind you putting them as second tier is very awkward for me, but in these game they are) Jamaica, South Africa, Kenya and India among others do well.

2 minutes ago, dcro said:

Swimming particulary, yes. I guess dividing :GBR into 4 teams does has it perks, less likely that some sport will be completely dominated by the same 3 teams.

Yep, like Flower of Scotland when a Scot wins gold, instead of "God save the Queen" :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

The Commonwealth Games isn't too different  than the continental games. It's a bit more entertaining because the diversity of the nations means the medals of certain sports are won by a subset of nations rather than the same group of 3-5 nations. Swimming is dominated by Australia and outside of the top two tier nations there isn't much room for others to win medals. Athletics on the other hand arguably has the top field among any non-World/Olympic event (though not as deep as the European Championship).

Sjostrom (:SWE), Blume (:DEN), Kromowidjojo (:NED), Manuel (:USA), Campbell (:AUS), Toro (:CAN), Zhu (:CHN), Santamans (:FRA), Osman (:EGY) NEW AF, Liu (:CHN), Herasimenia (:BLR), Jack (:AUS), Weitzeil (:USA), van Vliet (:NED), Mainville (:CAN) and Ikee (:JPN) through in Women's 50m Freestyle

As now we come across the world
To share these Games of old
Let all the flags of every land
In brotherhood unfold