website statistics

Winter Olympic Games Milano-Cortina 2026 Sports Programme

2 minutes ago, phelps said:

no, also because we don't know where some sports are going to be hosted (it's almost sure that Speedskating won't be in Baselga, for instance).

as usual, Italy is way, way late in the organizing questions...:facepalm: :wall: :hairpull:

why not in Baselga?

6 minutes ago, rafalgorka said:

why not in Baselga?

because costs have gone too far to build a roof and moreover there are a lot of issues with those idiots who don't want anything to be done to save the landscape of the valley.

imho, it was a wrong choice since the beginning...I hope they make up their minds and move that sport in Milan, where we have at least 2 or 3 places suitable to host it.

p.s. in the coming weeks/months rumors about Turin will come out once again (for speedskating, but also other disciplines, the sliding sports track included)...don't trust them at all! it's only a new attempt by the new city council to put their hands on the IOC funding, but there's no way the current stakeholders would allow any steal of that kind.

1 hour ago, phelps said:

because costs have gone too far to build a roof and moreover there are a lot of issues with those idiots who don't want anything to be done to save the landscape of the valley.

Wow, does that mean that Baselga might not get a roof after all? :yikes: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Wow, does that mean that Baselga might not get a roof after all? :yikes: 

yeah, at 98% there won't be any renovation work in Baselga.

but you know, here we are still at the preliminary political fights (if they lose the Olympic status, they also lose a lot of money, which is not good for the city council, of course)...

Edited by phelps

5 minutes ago, phelps said:

yeah, at 98% there won't be any renovation work in Baselga.

Well that is some fantastic news I had missed :yikes: 

Seeing Inzell be turned into another default indoor hall was enough :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Well that is some fantastic news I had missed :yikes: 

Seeing Inzell be turned into another default indoor hall was enough :p 

I understand your POV (which is also mine, tbh).

the problem is that Italy needs an indoor permanent oval...and there's no way it's gonna be built elsewhere (now all the chances for speedskating in 2026 are redirected to some temporary exhibition hall, like the Oval at Lingotto in 2006, if not just that once again...unlikely, but still...if they don't do anything quickly, that will be the only chance available as a "last second" save :facepalm:).

48 minutes ago, phelps said:

I understand your POV (which is also mine, tbh).

the problem is that Italy needs an indoor permanent oval...and there's no way it's gonna be built elsewhere (now all the chances for speedskating in 2026 are redirected to some temporary exhibition hall, like the Oval at Lingotto in 2006, if not just that once again...unlikely, but still...if they don't do anything quickly, that will be the only chance available as a "last second" save :facepalm:).

Oh well, I'm sure for 2026 a solution will be found, and other than that Italy isn't doing that bad without an oval recently in terms of results. There's no Fabris of course, but he was as next-level as next-level can get, but generally they seem to be doing pretty well. Inzell isn't that far away, in the end :p 

I know the rules say they can't, so they won't and therefore it's not a realistic suggestion, but still the best would have been to do the Olympic races in Baselga or Collalbo....without a roof :wub: 

Edited by heywoodu

2 hours ago, heywoodu said:

I know the rules say they can't, so they won't and therefore it's not a realistic suggestion, but still the best would have been to do the Olympic races in Baselga or Collalbo....without a roof :wub: 

That would certainly be my preference as well.

Just wondering, with the addition of a women's luge doubles, would the mixed team event expand to include both the men's and women's doubles or just stay the same with the Open doubles?

Personally I would rather keep the open doubles because otherwise it will keep limiting the number of competitive nations.

Edited by TeamGB

3 hours ago, TeamGB said:

Just wondering, with the addition of a women's luge doubles, would the mixed team event expand to include both the men's and women's doubles or just stay the same with the Open doubles?

Personally I would rather keep the open doubles because otherwise it will keep limiting the number of competitive nations.

it's still TBD.

this year (the first of the official W doubles competitions), it's only the men's doubles in the Team Event.

we'll see in the next few years what they want to do (I guess they won't add both M + W doubles until they have at least the same number of Nations competiting at decent level).