website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Happy Holidays and Birthdays Thread

leli.

@Jur @Cobi do either of your families employ the “Cagatio” thing in lieu of Santa Claus? I just learned about that practice this year.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

@Jur @Cobi do either of your families employ the “Cagatio” thing in lieu of Santa Claus? I just learned about that practice this year.

Not in my case, but my family does not do Santa either, just "Reyes Magos", which is basically the same thing but in January 6th. I do have some friends in Catalonia that celebrate the Tió though.

And in the Basque Country they also have their own version of Santa. It is called the Olentzero if you want to check it out.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to you and the rest of this wonderful community! 😊

32 minutes ago, Cobi said:

Not in my case, but my family does not do Santa either, just "Reyes Magos", which is basically the same thing but in January 6th. I do have some friends in Catalonia that celebrate the Tió though.

I do enjoy a good Rosca de Reyes :d

Some of my Latin American classmates would bring those to class on the 6th (or before, if we were still on winter break that date).

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

8 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

In Mexico you have 3 traditions, depending to which part of the country you live.

Central and Southern Mexico are more team “Reyes” so kids there expect to find their gifts on January 6th. Northern Mexico is team “Santa” in larger cities, but the rural areas also celebrate the Wise Men. And mi city, is the only ones where kids write a letter to Baby Jesus asking for gifts.