website statistics

Who is a lock to win a Gold Medal at the Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

10 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I think the main point of the discussion here could be interesting, as long as it's more a matter of 'Who are the biggest gold medal favourites?' instead of the whole thing about calling it a lock or not :p 

Well the conversation has from the start  been about locks,soooooooooooooooooo

On 2/27/2024 at 12:22 PM, Prakash_k said:

China 5 gold in TT ,6 in weightlifting and 7 in diving is assured. 

On the men's side, China is odds on favourite on only 1 category in weightlifting - 61 kg

At 73 their top lifter is currently only 7th in the ranking. At 89 Li Dayin will have to go through Nasar. And even though China has the top lifter at 102, the margins are too small between the first 4-5 in the rankings, that one bad lift could make a difference. 

They could still get all 3, but you can't say, that they will get all golds with ease, like on some previous events.

Edited by Federer91

On 2/26/2024 at 10:41 PM, heywoodu said:

I don't agree it should be closed because literal locks not existing, of course we can still discuss those who are genuinely seen as 95%+ favourites, because a few of those do exist :p (didn't synchronised swimming have some of those in the past years, before the Russians got banned, where the result really was basically set in stone?)

Kata was the worst of all in Tokyo, both events basically were just a waste of time, we already knew who would win the gold.

I, for one, rather have Breaking on the Olympic program than.. that.

10 hours ago, AsensioWillemsen said:

Kata was the worst of all in Tokyo, both events basically were just a waste of time, we already knew who would win the gold.

I, for one, rather have Breaking on the Olympic program than.. that.

I agree, better breaking than kata on the program....and that says a lot :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

On 2/25/2024 at 4:54 AM, Timezone said:

With the next edition of the Summer Olympics less then 6 months and yes nothing is 100% assured but as this current moment who seems to be winning gold guaranteed in Paris. 

Swimming 

Australia Woman 4x100m 

They smashed the world record at world championships last year in Japan. To put in perspective the fastest split form the USA team which came second was only 0.01 faster then the slowest split Australia had. An Australia B team probably wins gold. 

Womans 1500m Katie Ledecky 

No on is within 15 seconds of her enough said. 

Mondo Duplanits 

Sydney Mclaughlin 

China Team Table Tennis 

Extremely likely 

USA womans basketball 

Australia 4x200m Woman Relay 

Extremely Likely -

USA Woman's Basketball 

An Australian stating Team USA is ONLY "Extremely Likely" to win a Gold Medal is a real knee

slapper. I am not going to say we are a "LOCK". However, as long as our key players show up

HEALTHY and we play OUR game, we will not just win, we will DESTROY the competition. As

for Australia, the Opals are Extremely Likely to finish FOURTH or lower. Currently FIBA has the

Opals ranked 3rd in the world. However, in Brazil, did the Opals look like the third best team in

the world? In Paris Spain can beat the Opals, Belgium should/will beat them, China should/will

beat them, and if France play in Paris like they did against China in China, they will DESTROY

the Opals.

Why are the Opals not going to win a medal? They do not have the horses or the jockey. Your

front line is OLD & decrepit. The ONLY forward you have who is actually good is Ezi Magbegor.

She is the only player that the COE has produced since 2016.

This is my projected frontline.

1. Brittney Griner     No: 15 POS:           C HGT: 6-9 Current Age: 32 At worst, top 8-10 player in the world
2. Aliyah Boston       No: 16 POS:          C HGT: 6-5 Current Age: 21
3. A'ja Wilson           No:   9 POS:         PF HGT: 6-5 Current Age: 26  Best player in the world
4. Breanna Stewart  No: 10 POS:      F/PF HGT: 6-4 Current Age: 28 At worst, top 5 player in the world
5. Napheesa Collier   No:14 POS:         SF HGT: 6-1 Current Age: 27 At worst, top 6-8 player in the world
6. Rhyne Howard -   No: 12 POS:   SG/SF, HGT: 6-2 Current Age: 23

The Opals do not have any guards, point or shooting. And if you really believe that either Jade

MELBOURNE or Isobel BORLASE will EVER be world class is laughable. Jade is an WNBA end

of the bench towel waver. What exactly did Melbourne or Borlase do in Brazil? Not much. Now

lets compare these two to what Rhyne Howard did in Antwerp.

These are the stats from her last game.

https://www.fiba.basketball/oqtwomen/belgium/2024/game/1102/Senegal-USA

Rhyne Howard is a 23-year old American professional basketball player who plays at the Small

Forward or Shooting Guard position for the Atlanta Dream in the WNBA. She is 6 feet 2 inches

(188cm) tall, weighs 175 pounds (79kg), and has a wingspan of 6 feet 6 inches (198cm).

I have a question for Timezone, can either Melbourne or Borlase guard Rhyne one on one? Can

Melbourne or Borlase play two positons? Can Isobel BORLASE play as a small forward or shooting

guard? I say she can play as a forward or shooting guard in AUSTRALIA. But if you really believe that

she can play both positions in the WNBA, Olympics, or World Cup you will be BITTERLY disapointed.

Finally, the Opals do not have the jockey. Sandy Brondello is at best "competent", but no one thinks

of her as World Class. The Opals last podium finish was in 2012. I predict that the Opals will fail for the

third consecutive time to finish on the podium. Your last Olympic final was in 2008. Why? Lauren Jackson,

the Opals ONLY truly world class player. For Australian Basketball she was/is an ANOMALY or a singularity.

On 2/27/2024 at 2:04 AM, FireRun said:

Just like in 2004 right. 

And how many FIBA Gold Medals does your country have?

Your current team is a one trick pony with an American on it.

Posted (edited)
On 2/27/2024 at 3:10 AM, Timezone said:

Legitimate argument that USA won't have best 3 players in the tournament Jokic, SGA and Luka probably better then anyone USA will field. USA are favourites however they won't have best player ok the court ok big matches. 

But the Boomers are will win another "Rose" Gold!!!

Timezone, who will crash out of the Olympics FIRST: The Opals or the Boomers???

Edited by Mr. Cam

1 hour ago, Mr. Cam said:

Extremely Likely -

USA Woman's Basketball 

An Australian stating Team USA is ONLY "Extremely Likely" to win a Gold Medal is a real knee

slapper. I am not going to say we are a "LOCK". However, as long as our key players show up

HEALTHY and we play OUR game, we will not just win, we will DESTROY the competition. As

for Australia, the Opals are Extremely Likely to finish FOURTH or lower. Currently FIBA has the

Opals ranked 3rd in the world. However, in Brazil, did the Opals look like the third best team in

the world? In Paris Spain can beat the Opals, Belgium should/will beat them, China should/will

beat them, and if France play in Paris like they did against China in China, they will DESTROY

the Opals.

Why are the Opals not going to win a medal? They do not have the horses or the jockey. Your

front line is OLD & decrepit. The ONLY forward you have who is actually good is Ezi Magbegor.

She is the only player that the COE has produced since 2016.

This is my projected frontline.

1. Brittney Griner     No: 15 POS:           C HGT: 6-9 Current Age: 32 At worst, top 8-10 player in the world
2. Aliyah Boston       No: 16 POS:          C HGT: 6-5 Current Age: 21
3. A'ja Wilson           No:   9 POS:         PF HGT: 6-5 Current Age: 26  Best player in the world
4. Breanna Stewart  No: 10 POS:      F/PF HGT: 6-4 Current Age: 28 At worst, top 5 player in the world
5. Napheesa Collier   No:14 POS:         SF HGT: 6-1 Current Age: 27 At worst, top 6-8 player in the world
6. Rhyne Howard -   No: 12 POS:   SG/SF, HGT: 6-2 Current Age: 23

The Opals do not have any guards, point or shooting. And if you really believe that either Jade

MELBOURNE or Isobel BORLASE will EVER be world class is laughable. Jade is an WNBA end

of the bench towel waver. What exactly did Melbourne or Borlase do in Brazil? Not much. Now

lets compare these two to what Rhyne Howard did in Antwerp.

These are the stats from her last game.

https://www.fiba.basketball/oqtwomen/belgium/2024/game/1102/Senegal-USA

Rhyne Howard is a 23-year old American professional basketball player who plays at the Small

Forward or Shooting Guard position for the Atlanta Dream in the WNBA. She is 6 feet 2 inches

(188cm) tall, weighs 175 pounds (79kg), and has a wingspan of 6 feet 6 inches (198cm).

I have a question for Timezone, can either Melbourne or Borlase guard Rhyne one on one? Can

Melbourne or Borlase play two positons? Can Isobel BORLASE play as a small forward or shooting

guard? I say she can play as a forward or shooting guard in AUSTRALIA. But if you really believe that

she can play both positions in the WNBA, Olympics, or World Cup you will be BITTERLY disapointed.

Finally, the Opals do not have the jockey. Sandy Brondello is at best "competent", but no one thinks

of her as World Class. The Opals last podium finish was in 2012. I predict that the Opals will fail for the

third consecutive time to finish on the podium. Your last Olympic final was in 2008. Why? Lauren Jackson,

the Opals ONLY truly world class player. For Australian Basketball she was/is an ANOMALY or a singularity.

Wow,someone said your girls are only ''extremely likely'' to win and you had a full on meltdown.It's not that deep bro,take a xanax.

On 2/28/2024 at 6:20 PM, Biathlonfan said:

Well the conversation has from the start  been about locks,soooooooooooooooooo

Don't mind him, he's not a real person