website statistics

Who is a lock to win a Gold Medal at the Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

With the next edition of the Summer Olympics less then 6 months and yes nothing is 100% assured but as this current moment who seems to be winning gold guaranteed in Paris. 

Swimming 

Australia Woman 4x100m 

They smashed the world record at world championships last year in Japan. To put in perspective the fastest split form the USA team which came second was only 0.01 faster then the slowest split Australia had. An Australia B team probably wins gold. 

Womans 1500m Katie Ledecky 

No on is within 15 seconds of her enough said. 

Mondo Duplanits 

Sydney Mclaughlin 

China Team Table Tennis 

Extremely likely 

USA womans basketball 

Australia 4x200m Woman Relay 

Edited by Sindo

1 hour ago, Timezone said:

Sydney Mclaughlin 

I highly doubt she is as much of a 'lock' (if locks really exist of course) as for example the Australian 4x100m women :p

It probably all depends on how we define a 'lock'...say, 95% chance at least? In that case I'd absolutely not put McLaughlin there :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I really want to believe McLaughlin is not a lock for gold, because Bol is still continuously improving and McLaughlin rarely ever competes. Feels like there is a real chance she can be beaten. I would hate to see someone run 3 races per year and then sweep into the most important race of the year and destroy the competition.

Two other contenders for a 'locked gold':

• :NED Field hockey women's team
  • :KOR Archery women's team (despite the upset in the 2023 World championship)

just to name a few...

:FRA Leon Marchand (swimming, men's 200m and 400 IM at least)

Track Cycling, :NED men's Team Sprint and Harrie Lavreysen (Individual Sprint)

:BUL Karlos May Nasar (weightlifting, men's -89kg)

:CHN all the table tennis, weightlifting and diving competitions in which they compete

Obviously nothing is ever a 100% lock because you can get hit by a bus.

So leaving that aside : I don't see McLaughlin as a lock AT ALL. She's the favourite, but no more. I frankly have a hunch it will be Bol.

Just had to get that off the chest.

3 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Is anything really guaranteed in sport? 

no, of course...

but, provided anything unthinkable under normal circumtances happens, there are some competitions that have an already designated winner

and we can't ignore this