website statistics

Who is a lock to win a Gold Medal at the Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

5 hours ago, Dkats said:

I would say US Men’s basketball team assuming that they actually bring a full strength team 

27 minutes ago, Timezone said:

Even at full strength USA not the juggernaut they once were 

USA Women more likely to win than men are.  

I wouldn’t say China is a lock in either team table tennis event, Japan is right up there in both genders and could potentially win gold (it’s very unlikely though, but still doable)

I’d add :JPN Uta Abe in judo (women’s 52kg), :CHN in team artistic swimming, and :USA Ryan Crouser in athletics (men’s shot put)

12 hours ago, Jinzha said:

and McLaughlin rarely ever competes.

The main reason I'm hoping for her not to win :p

Nothing against her personally, but I do like to see champions not avoid every possible competition...

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

7 hours ago, NearPup said:

I’m willing to bet my life savings that at least one of the “locks” mentioned in this thread won’t win gold xD

Of course :d

Even if there's 100 events where one athlete/team has like a 95% chance to win (which is very high and generally reserved for at best a handful of events), it is still highly unlikely for all of those 100 to actually win :p 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

10 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

It's VERY difficult to see past the Dutch male sprinters, even now, for example.

But there is just no way they are anywhere near a 'lock' for gold, with the rise back to the top of the Australians, the Brits who always have something extra at the Olympics and Hoogland who is going down rather than up.

12 hours ago, phelps said:

just to name a few...

:FRA Leon Marchand (swimming, men's 200m and 400 IM at least)

Track Cycling, :NED men's Team Sprint and Harrie Lavreysen (Individual Sprint)

:BUL Karlos May Nasar (weightlifting, men's -89kg)

:CHN all the table tennis, weightlifting and diving competitions in which they compete

Marchand didn't even have the fastest time in the 200 IM last year.

11 hours ago, Topicmaster1010 said:

In swimming, :CAN Summer McIntosh should be a heavy favourite to win the women's 400m Individual Medley.

And if she doesn't swim the 800m freestyle (which seems very likely), then Ledecky should be a lock in that event too.

The 1500 is a lock for Ledecky regardless.