website statistics

Surfing ISA World Games 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

1 minute ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

Absolutely pathetic from :GBR Sky Brown. She arsed about for 20 minutes and in the end ran out of time. I really thought we'd pick up a quota here and to miss out like we have done when we were close to having it in the palm of our hands is ridiculous. And it's not like we get a chance to improve at the top level either with the Champions Tour being closed off to the same surfers from the same nations every year. 

A bit harsh considering her age and experience in the sport. If I'm not mistaken, she made it further than people expected.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

6 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

Absolutely pathetic from :GBR Sky Brown. She arsed about for 20 minutes and in the end ran out of time. I really thought we'd pick up a quota here and to miss out like we have done when we were close to having it in the palm of our hands is ridiculous. And it's not like we get a chance to improve at the top level either with the Champions Tour being closed off to the same surfers from the same nations every year. 

Even if she did qualify she was never really in the chance for a medal or anything. It was just all for media story and attention of how she would be competing in 2 sports. Its not that deep

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

A bit harsh considering her age and experience in the sport. If I'm not mistaken, she made it further than people expected.

I'm not saying she hasn't done well but when you put in a performance like that, for the second time this week, you can't not feel aggrieved towards it especially as it was so infuriating to watch. If she'd had completed as many waves as the others and still missed out, I'd have at least commended the amount of opportunities she gave herself. 

4 minutes ago, Dkats said:

Even if she did qualify she was never really in the chance for a medal or anything. It was just all for media story and attention of how she would be competing in 2 sports. Its not that deep

It's not about Sky Brown qualifying for 2 sports in Paris for me, it's about having :GBR representation in surfing at the Olympics. The media coverage it would've gotten would've been amazing for the sport over here and would've inspired people to take it up which would've been great for the future success of the sport in :GBR. This is no matter who it was as well, even if it wasn't Sky Brown. Now the sport will mostly likely not be mentioned at all, or at best used as filler for half an hour. 

Just now, Cinnamon Bun said:

The media coverage it would've gotten would've been amazing for the sport over here

I do believe Surfing will have enormous coverage everywhere this time. Since the competition will be during European nights when nothing else will happens, so :p

2 minutes ago, hckošice said:

I do believe Surfing will have enormous coverage everywhere this time. Since the competition will be during European nights when nothing else will happens, so :p

Not over here it won't. Whilst it'll probably get coverage on Eurosport (which only people with a satellite subscription can watch), the BBC won't touch it as it'll be during their round up shows and they'll want to show the news after the action has ended as they won't be able to do so during the day due to the coverage. 

This is a very infuriating quota to miss out on, you watch countless of heats for a week all to lose out on the very last heat. :GBR have performed well during these games, better than we have done for a long time, but it's still a very tough one to take considering the position we were in yesterday. 

2 hours ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

You were thinking Great Britain would pick up an Olympic quota here? Lol. I mean it certainly was possible, but any of the six Great Britain athletes were far from favourites (and unlikely contenders). Sky Brown wasn’t even expected to make it this far, sucks that she fell just short on creating history for your country, but this is an extremely positive result for her. 

Just now, Josh said:

You were thinking Great Britain would pick up an Olympic quota here? Lol. I mean it certainly was possible, but any of the six Great Britain athletes were far from favourites (and unlikely contenders). Sky Brown wasn’t even expected to make it this far, sucks that she fell just short on creating history for your country, but this is an extremely positive result for her. 

I don't get why you think (as per usual it seems) we had little to no chance of winning a quota. Out of all the nations and athletes competing we had a decently strong team, with the likes of Barton and Norman being viable candidates for a quota during the build up. I'd even go as far as to say our top surfers had just as much of a chance as your surfers at winning a quota. Also, like I said earlier, I'm not slagging off Sky's performance for the entire competition as she did do really well, I'm more or less annoyed at how she performed in that heat as she didn't give herself near as many opportunities as she should of to challenge the top two. If she carries on in this vein, she'll be a favourite for a quota in LA from this event.