website statistics

Boxing IOC Olympic Qualifier 1 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

32 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

No, She'll fight for the refugee team. BBC will just make sure you know she's a multi time British champion!! Fans of Irish sport have some experience of this kind of 'adoption'!

To be fair, she's been an integral part of the GB Boxing set up for a while - the federation refer to her as a sparring partner, but they've given her the same exposure as all of the boxers within the team. Add to that, the guys who are likely to be doing the commentary for BBC in Paris including Steve Bunce already regard her as part of the British team. Having said that, her back story will undoubtedly feature quite heavily in the BBC coverage. 

1 minute ago, Rafa Maciel said:

To be fair, she's been an integral part of the GB Boxing set up for a while - the federation refer to her as a sparring partner, but they've given her the same exposure as all of the boxers within the team. Add to that, the guys who are likely to be doing the commentary for BBC in Paris including Steve Bunce already regard her as part of the British team. Having said that, her back story will undoubtedly feature quite heavily in the BBC coverage. 

The opportunity to get an extra 'quasi-British' athlete to follow, while virtue signalling on both LGB AND refugee issues, will clearly be far, far too much for BBC to resist. You know it, I know it - and I sympathise with both causes!

Just now, mpjmcevoy said:

The opportunity to get an extra 'quasi-British' athlete to follow, while virtue signalling on both LGB AND refugee issues, will clearly be far, far too much for BBC to resist. You know it, I know it - and I sympathise with both causes!

My Irish side cannot throw stones - the way we leaned into Wayne McCullough back in the day, letting/making the poor fella carry the tricolour, or the way we're going to hero worship rhasidat adeleke....