website statistics

Wrestling UWW American Olympic Qualifier 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

10 hours ago, mrv86 said:

Any chance for the hosts?

I'm no expert in women's wrestling but I except Mexico to qualify a couple of guys at least.

I think your top guys rested for the Pan-Am Champs which may help them a lot this weekend. but they also lost the benefit of being seeded. so luck will play a big factor in the draw for them.

I think your best chance is 57kg and 86kg freestyle. Zahid Valencia's brother is good but he just moved up to a new weight. and at 57kg, I think you just have to hope you don't get USA in your side of the bracket.

and you will probably get one in Greco too.

1 hour ago, MHSN said:

I'm no expert in women's wrestling but I except Mexico to qualify a couple of guys at least.

I think your top guys rested for the Pan-Am Champs which may help them a lot this weekend. but they also lost the benefit of being seeded. so luck will play a big factor in the draw for them.

I think your best chance is 57kg and 86kg freestyle. Zahid Valencia's brother is good but he just moved up to a new weight. and at 57kg, I think you just have to hope you don't get USA in your side of the bracket.

Thank you for the answer

I feel like luck always eludes Mexican wrestlers in the draw, but I keep positive.

On the other hand, our federation has not seen any growth this cycle, so they must rely on luck and local advantage this time; pathetic.

2 hours ago, MHSN said:

Who do you predict will get the quotas ?

Dear Mohsen,

since many years I am a follower of this site, but - due to my "jurassic" age, I'm 62 - I have posted very few messages and only when my rage against some fellows - you can imagine who - was high (I have sometimes complained with Sindo about the lack of good manners of some guys)! Anyway I have never given-up to read some topics and the ones which are really interesting and coming from a real expert, are yours, both dedicated to wrestling and weightlifting, so my congratulations from the deepest of my heart; I am a statistician of track & field and I had the luck to personally attend four summer olympic games plus some world athletics championships; but I lately became increasingly interested in sports like - besides an ancient love for amateur boxing - wrestling,judo and taekwondo;in order to learn more, I have developed draws/brackets sheets on "excel" for the continental championships/games and olympic and world; I am slow in compiling those sheets, but I try to be accurate at the utmost with names, homonymous and translitterations (contrary to the federations sites, which are sadly replete with many stupid mistakes - until five profiles for the same athlete ! -), to be 100% precise (heritage since when I used to be an ATFS member ...); combined with my love for languages and names, that helped me to start to like the wrestling videos (at Rio 2016 Olympics I managed to attend live some wrestling matches too; I must say that my specific ignorance has been often mitigated by the general knowledge of the sports, which allows me to at least appreciate the skills of the best). I am trying to follow the wrestling olympic qualifications and I wonder why the continental and qualifications championships do not coincide/match ? Would not have been easier for the athletes to wrestle once at all for the continental title and olympic qualification at the same time? I understand that some athletes are already qualified thru the world, still I am surprised to see this waste of time and energies (so much precious in a demanding discipline) ! Do you have an explanation ? Thanks again and I renew my compliments for your expertise. Fabio Majocchi

2 hours ago, Fabinter said:

Dear Mohsen,

since many years I am a follower of this site, but - due to my "jurassic" age, I'm 62 - I have posted very few messages and only when my rage against some fellows - you can imagine who - was high (I have sometimes complained with Sindo about the lack of good manners of some guys)! Anyway I have never given-up to read some topics and the ones which are really interesting and coming from a real expert, are yours, both dedicated to wrestling and weightlifting, so my congratulations from the deepest of my heart; I am a statistician of track & field and I had the luck to personally attend four summer olympic games plus some world athletics championships; but I lately became increasingly interested in sports like - besides an ancient love for amateur boxing - wrestling,judo and taekwondo;in order to learn more, I have developed draws/brackets sheets on "excel" for the continental championships/games and olympic and world; I am slow in compiling those sheets, but I try to be accurate at the utmost with names, homonymous and translitterations (contrary to the federations sites, which are sadly replete with many stupid mistakes - until five profiles for the same athlete ! -), to be 100% precise (heritage since when I used to be an ATFS member ...); combined with my love for languages and names, that helped me to start to like the wrestling videos (at Rio 2016 Olympics I managed to attend live some wrestling matches too; I must say that my specific ignorance has been often mitigated by the general knowledge of the sports, which allows me to at least appreciate the skills of the best). I am trying to follow the wrestling olympic qualifications and I wonder why the continental and qualifications championships do not coincide/match ? Would not have been easier for the athletes to wrestle once at all for the continental title and olympic qualification at the same time? I understand that some athletes are already qualified thru the world, still I am surprised to see this waste of time and energies (so much precious in a demanding discipline) ! Do you have an explanation ? Thanks again and I renew my compliments for your expertise. Fabio Majocchi

Hi Fabio and thanks a lot for nice comment :yes

you already answered the question, some wrestlers are already qualified and this is not like Gymnastics or Athletics where you can simply ignore the qualified athletes and make another ranking for the rest.

we had the other format back in 2008 (1 quota available for each continent at that time and continental Champs served as the OG qualifier) and for example you could finish 3rd losing to the best guy in the draw (already qualified) and someone lucky could qualify by being in the other side and finishing 2nd. since then they changed the format and created separate continental qualifiers.

personally while I understand their concern I agree with you that this is a demanding sport. it's not shooting or archery, they can't be in their best shape twice in 10 days. and some (most) of these guys cut weight which makes things even worse.

there is no perfect solution :dunno: but I think the correct one is definitely not the best. it kills the prestigue of continental championships. after all luck is an important factor all the time. I would go with continental champs serving as the qualifier plus some extra matches for the quota if necessary 

Edited by MHSN

33 minutes ago, Josh said:

@MHSN will it be streamed live anywhere?

If you mean the draw (which I doubt) the answer is no

but of course the competition will be streamed on UWW website (like all of their official competitions), which is not free anymore. 

no "final" or repechage this time, only the direct elimination competition with semifinals (Olympic Qualification matches) later at the evening session