website statistics

Weightlifting at the Summer Olympic Games 2016

vlad

Am 31.7.2016 um 18:38 schrieb sanjaydas:

Rather than weightlifting, boxing should be out of the Olympics. So many dubious decisions; more so after the change in points rules.

Is boxing really that bad? I know that the host country always has an advantage, but isnt it pretty much the same in all fighting sports, fencing and maybe even artistic gymnastics (all sports with judges)?

It would be great if there would be a way to make it impossible for the judges to "identify" the athletes. If you dont know which athlete is from country X, then you also cant cheat. No we only need a way to disguise the athletes during the competition ...

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

4 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Is boxing really that bad? I know that the host country always has an advantage, but isnt it pretty much the same in all fighting sports, fencing and maybe even artistic gymnastics (all sports with judges)?

It would be great if there would be a way to make it impossible for the judges to "identify" the athletes. If you dont know which athlete is from country X, then you also cant cheat. No we only need a way to disguise the athletes during the competition ...

Computers for judges!! :p

1 hour ago, OlympicsFan said:

1) Medal chances for Velagic?

2) Possible to win medals in weightlifting without doping?

3) Are athletes tested while they are banned?

1) if nobody bombs out, Salimi and Talakhadze will challenge for the gold and silver but then we have few athletes fighting for the bronze. Velagic is not among them, his chance is less than 5% in my opinion.

2) Of course, it's just harder  ! much harder

3) Good question, I'm not sure about the answer. I think they have to notify WADA about their whereabouts but WADA probably doesn't test already banned athletes too much. our 94kg weightlifter Sohrab Moradi who is a clear gold medal favorite here had to sit out for 8-9 months more because someone mistakenly registered him as "retired" for IWF. they don't test "retired" weightlifters. and since they didn't test him during his suspension period he had to weight few months to be tested few times to finally be eligible to compete.

When was/is the official deadline? Will other nations also change their entries in your opinion? Was the chinese guy a medal contender and is there any nation that could profit from it, but didnt enter an athlete in this event so far?

Usually One day before the competition, in general meeting.

yes the Chinese girl was a medal contender, actually the top contender for the gold but now they traded a possible gold with a sure gold medal ! China wants all 4 female gold medals and they will probably win it.

I think only China is capable of such changes, other countries already sent their bests .

3 hours ago, MHSN said:

Updated start list

http://www.iwf.net/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2016/08/Rio2016_List-of-Athletes-by-Event_Updated_01082016.pdf

no Russia and there are few changes, most important China added Meng Suping (instead of their 48kg weightlifter) when they saw Kasherina is gone !

Sitting here with my money on North Korean Kim "because without Kashirina, odds of 9 are completely crazy". :facepalm:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2) Possible to win medals in weightlifting without doping?

3) Are athletes tested while they are banned?

4) I think at least top 8 in all events at the olympics should be tested and if there are more than X doping cases in a certain sport, then this sport should be banned for the next olympic games. I know that this is unfair for all clean athletes, but doping is also unfair for clean athletes, so we have to decide between one of those two things, there will never be a perfectly fair solution. All athletes, federations and nations have to understand that we cant continue like this and in my opinion no cheater should ever again be allowed to compete at olympic games and all cheaters should have to pay back all the prize money and all the money that other athletes lost thanks to their cheating.

2 - to me, no...and it's the same for all "performance" disciplines (strenght or endurance it doesn't matter)...

3 - they should be tested in the last 6 months of their ban (that's also the minimum period required for "newcomers", I mean athletes registered for the first time by an international federation before they begin to compete in international events)...

4 - I think that in this way international federations would be encouraged even more than today to hide their cheaters, rather than exposing them like IWF is at least partially trying to do...they would never risk to lose the Olympic status and the consequent money they can raise thanks to that...

vor 1 Minute schrieb phelps:

2 - to me, no...and it's the same for all "performance" disciplines (strenght or endurance it doesn't matter)...

3 - they should be tested in the last 6 months of their ban (that's also the minimum period required for "newcomers", I mean athletes registered for the first time by an international federation before they begin to compete in international events)...

4 - I think that in this way international federations would be encouraged even more than today to hide their cheaters, rather than exposing them like IWF is at least partially trying to do...they would never risk to lose the Olympic status and the consequent money they can raise thanks to that...

How can federations hide doping cases at olympic games, i think WADA does the testing at the olympics? WADA should get much more power, federations or countries cant decide about bans, WADA should treat all athletes the same.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.