website statistics

Weightlifting at the Summer Olympic Games 2016

vlad

2 hours ago, MHSN said:

hard to answer since the list is not even final, we stilll don't know if Russia, Belarus and Kazakhstan can compete or not

56kg:

Long (CHN) and Om (PRK) for the gold and silver, then bronze probably for Thach (VIE) or Colonia or Chontey

62kg:

Gold for China, both Colombian weightlifters and Irawan (INA) and probably Kharki (KAZ) will try for other medals

69kg:

will be a close competition between Shi (CHN), Ismaylov (TUR), Chen (RUS) and Kim (PRK)

77kg:

Gold will be between Lu and Rahimov. . I think Ihab (EGY) and the Armenian guy will try for bronze, or even a better medal if one of those 2 fail

85kg:

Rostami (IRN) and Tian (CHN) will battle for the gold, if RUS/KAZ can compete. then Okulov and Ulanov are also there with those 2

94kg:

Moradi is the clear foavrite here, with Stralotsov behind him (if Belarus competes) Zielinkski, Maligov and Didzbalis are after them.

105kg:

Zaichikov, Nurudinov and Bedzhanyna will fight for 3 medals, if RUS and KAZ are banned, then others can compete for other medals, Yang of CHN is behind them with Armenian, Barari and Plesnieks.

+105kg:

Talakhadze is the favorite for the gold, if Albegov competes he can challenge the Georgian, otherwise only Salimi can maybe challenge him. we still don't know about Salimi's shape as they put everybody in dark but at very least he will win the bronze here.

You're always forgetting about women's events. ;)

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

47 minutes ago, Quasit said:

You're always forgetting about women's events. ;)

no I don't , but simply I only speak about things I have information about, I'm not an expert in women's weightlifting, I follow it but not as much as I follow men's weightlifting.

1 hour ago, MHSN said:

no I don't , but simply I only speak about things I have information about, I'm not an expert in women's weightlifting, I follow it but not as much as I follow men's weightlifting.

Ah, fair enough.

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

so based on entry list no Andrei Rybakou?!  as far as i knew,after solving melodium issues, he was in the same situation with sohrab moradi and they sent him in asian championships to get qualified

how much this entry list validate?

I've posted the text below on Reddit, because since I have grown very interested in weightlifting after watching the last two World Championships, I think discussing it in more detail might be fun. In 2 years it has gone from a sport I wouldn't watch at the Olympics unless there was really no other choice, to one of the sports I'm looking forward to the most in Rio :d 

In the men's -56kg, I think it's clear Long Qingquan (CHN) and Om Yun-chol (PRK) are the two favourites for gold and silver. Long totalled 300kg at Chinese nationals this year, which is only slightly behind Om's 302kg. Personally I think Om's the favourite given his huge pedigree at major champs, but I'm curious how other people see it.

At least year's Worlds, I really liked Nestor Colonia (PHI), and I think he might be one of the guys battling it out for bronze? PB'ed 282kg in Houston and opened up his year with 268kg (and two failed CJ 153 attempts) in Tashkent.

I'm guessing Thach Kim Tuan is the main favourite for bronze, considering his 293, 294, 296 and 287kg at his last four major competitions? Three of them were in 2014 though, so it's a bit hard to say..

Apart from those four, I think most others - the likes of Chontey and behind him Salas, Kruaithong, Mingmoon - probably only have an outside medal shot and need to hope that one of the aforementioned bomb out.

Which leads me to what I think will be the final standings:

1. Om 

2. Long

3. Thach

4. Colonia

5. Chontey

I'd love to hear your thoughts on it, before we move up to the next weight :)

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

1. Om 

2. Long

3. Thach

4. Colonia

5. Chontey

I'd love to hear your thoughts on it, before we move up to the next weight :)

I agree with your prediction, maybe would like to switch Colonia with Chontey . Om is favorite , but I would be happy to see Long winning Gold medal here.It will be really hard for him cause Long's best international comp result is 293 , yes he did 300 in China nationals but I really doubt he could repeat that on olympics platform.

3 hours ago, heywoodu said:

1. Om 

2. Long

3. Thach

4. Colonia

5. Chontey

Should Kruaithong be the 4th rank?

He lifted 130+154=284 at Asian Championship earlier this year (and 128+158=286 at National Games)

Colonia lifted 282 at WC15 - his first and only 280+ (and then 268 at Asian Champ.)

1 hour ago, Tona22 said:

Should Kruaithong be the 4th rank?

He lifted 130+154=284 at Asian Championship earlier this year (and 128+158=286 at National Games)

Colonia lifted 282 at WC15 - his first and only 280+ (and then 268 at Asian Champ.)

Probably :p

It's a little hard what to say about Chontey in my opinion, since the only result I can find is one of last year where he bombed out..didn't see him in Kazakh nationals this year neither (or I didn't Google good enough).

Edit: Apparently he had 281 earlier this year. 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

My thoughts on the -62kg :d 

Time for the second weight, the men's 62kg. I'm fairly sure there's just one favourite here: world champion Chen Lijun and his 333kg at last year's worlds, plus 328 this year.

There's really only one lifter who got somewhat, relatively close to that in let's say the past year or so: Indonesian Eko Irawan lifted a total of 320 at the national trials for Rio earlier this year which, if he can repeat it in Rio, would probably make him one of the most likely medal candidates behind Chen.

I'm guessing the bronze (if Irawan repeats his performance) goes between the two Colombians, Francisco Mosquera and Oscar Figueroa. Personally I'd give the advantage to the latter.

Then, who do we have left? Chadovich of Belarus had a 305 and 300 last year and this year, but both while being considerably over 62kg. Kazakh Farkhad Kharki 313 as a 69 last year, so I guess it's hard to say how he might do in Rio..

My prediction:

1. Chen

2. Irawan

3. Figueroa

4. Mosquera

5. Kharki

I doubt there will be many different thoughts about the winner (even though of course nobody is a certain winner), but I'm curious about the rest :)

Edited by heywoodu